Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2021, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #16
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are considering the Nikonos, then I suggest the Nikonos III. Totally manual, but super fast to advance film, build is beautiful. And the 35mm amphibious lens is quite good--although it flares easily. I use a 58-49mm step down ring plus a filter ring w/ glass removed and mount the Takumar 28mm square hood, effective and hardly cuts into the huge viewfinder. This was often my Europe travel camera. Also was/is my canoe trip/foul weather camera. I also recently got the 80mm telephoto but cannot yet comment on it.

03-03-2021, 06:01 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Nikonos is a universe away from a 90WR... and I can’t imagine it would be anywhere close in price, either.

They’re very cool, though.

There was a time when you could get a very compact zone focusing camera with various amounts of manual control. None had zooms or were waterproof. The Rollei mentioned is the best known, but I have a Petri Color 35 that is great fun, and I just got a Yashica Electro 35MC that has a great lens and isn’t much bigger.

Again, different world from the 90WR or any Espio/IQ Zoom.

-Eric
03-04-2021, 02:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
The Nikonos is a universe away from a 90WR... and I can’t imagine it would be anywhere close in price, either.

They’re very cool, though.

There was a time when you could get a very compact zone focusing camera with various amounts of manual control. None had zooms or were waterproof. The Rollei mentioned is the best known, but I have a Petri Color 35 that is great fun, and I just got a Yashica Electro 35MC that has a great lens and isn’t much bigger.

Again, different world from the 90WR or any Espio/IQ Zoom.

-Eric
Indeed, I realise I'm after something I'll need to compromise on, want the features so the price will have to go up.

I've come across several comments from people who've abused Rollei 35 models in rain etc, and they've continued to work, similar with plenty of SLR cameras.

A part of me thinks just grab a cheap one with a good lens l, enjoy it till it breaks.

The Nikanos is off the table, to me it's a serious investment and truthfully overkill for what I'd likely use it in. I may start taking rain shots, but it ends up being a small level of interest overall, and I'm not likely to go taking it underwater for meaningful shots living in the UK, outside of a few holidays.
03-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I have an Espio 145M Super and I find it works very well. It has a zoom lens rather than a prime but fir snapshots of random stuff it does just fine. Somewhere I have another, smaller, snazzier-looking Espio but I've never gotten around to using it.

03-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have an Espio 145M Super and I find it works very well. It has a zoom lens rather than a prime but fir snapshots of random stuff it does just fine. Somewhere I have another, smaller, snazzier-looking Espio but I've never gotten around to using it.
Any snapshots scanned from the Espio Jonathan Mac that you could share?
03-04-2021, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’d suggest for the zoom cameras you should be prepared to use 400 speed film for most of what you do...

Unless you know you’ll be somewhere bright, those lenses are pretty slow...

-Eric
03-04-2021, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #22

I’m tossing my hat in this one. My vote goes for that sweet 80s retro futuristic PC35AF M.

Attached Images

03-04-2021, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
Indeed, I realise I'm after something I'll need to compromise on, want the features so the price will have to go up.

I've come across several comments from people who've abused Rollei 35 models in rain etc, and they've continued to work, similar with plenty of SLR cameras.

A part of me thinks just grab a cheap one with a good lens l, enjoy it till it breaks.

The Nikanos is off the table, to me it's a serious investment and truthfully overkill for what I'd likely use it in. I may start taking rain shots, but it ends up being a small level of interest overall, and I'm not likely to go taking it underwater for meaningful shots living in the UK, outside of a few holidays.

The little Rollei has the leaf shutter , rarely needed overhaul simple bulletproof pocket camera

Hang up and DRIVE!
03-05-2021, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Any snapshots scanned from the Espio Jonathan Mac that you could share?
I have an album here: Pentax Espio 145M Super | Flickr

The scans aren't great - a colour cast and not too sharp, but that's what I get from my scanner unfortunately.
03-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #25
Forum Member

Did Pentax ever make a really premium point and shoot? I had an IQ Zoom in the 90's and I remember it being good, but the lens was definitely on the slow side. I'm so smitten with my GRIII that I've been thinking of picking up a film P&S for fun.
03-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey all, update to say thanks for the suggestions and advice ��. I've got a film camera now, however ended up being a Minolta Hi-Matic 7s, too good a chance to miss.
03-28-2021, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Hey all, update to say thanks for the suggestions and advice ��. I've got a film camera now, however ended up being a Minolta Hi-Matic 7s, too good a chance to miss.

7s is built like a tank, good quick shooter if preset EV. I also thought it was a sleek design

Hang up and DRIVE!
04-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Himatic 7s isn’t small, but my wife’s takes good pictures. Good lens and viewfinder.

You can also get those old converter lenses for cheap that give you a little wide angle and a little telephoto...

-Eric
04-12-2021, 01:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Himatic 7s isn’t small, but my wife’s takes good pictures. Good lens and viewfinder.

You can also get those old converter lenses for cheap that give you a little wide angle and a little telephoto...

-Eric
Do tell more Eric... any links or information would be appreciated.
04-12-2021, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do tell more Eric... any links or information would be appreciated.
Now you've made it sound a lot cooler than it probably is

Here's a set I found just now for a slightly more modern camera...
ZYKKOR CAMERA LENS SET TELEPHOTO & WIDE ANGLE for Minolta Hi-Matic AF2M Unused - DECADESGONEB4
They live on today in the "ultra-fisheye" conversion lenses for phones and digital cameras. Same basic idea.

Lots of companies made them (I have a Petri set for my Petri and a Yashica wide angle for my TLR) from probably the 1950s.
Normally, they came in a small leather case, one wide-angle and one telephoto. They just screw into the front of the lens like a big filter.
There is often a conversion scheme printed on the lens to help with focus, and there will usually be some hint for exposure compensation.
On a camera with a TTL meter (or, like the 7s, next to the regular lens and through the converter lens) the camera handles that.

Since you're just adding something on top of the lens and not optimizing the optics, they tend to not be great.
Mine flare like mad and lose definition, particularly at the edges, where things can get a bit smeary.
If you are really lucky, you'll find a kit with a viewfinder that goes in the hot shoe. If I remember right, Soligor made a nice one...

-Eric