Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2021, 07:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Verdicts on undiscovered film P&S Pentax

I've become so enamoured with photography I'm wanting to dip my toes back into film, however I'm not certain I want to get a SLR. I've seen a lot of YouTube videos reviewing the film 35mm P&S which cover and subsequently bump the price of the used market up considerably.

So, do any of you fine people know of some undiscovered gems to consider trying that are unlikely to bust the bank? (I'm hoping this keeps the eBay vultures under control posting here )

03-03-2021, 08:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It really depends on what you want it to do.

Do you want a zoom? Full manual control? A fast lens? A built in flash? Autofocus? Auto wind? Weatherproof?

I like old rangefinders, so I’ve ended up there... but there are lots of good options that don’t involve spending $200 on a beat up Olympus mju...

-Eric
03-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
$200 on a beat up Olympus mju...
this was exactly what I want to avoid. True, I should have been more specific, however I was conscious this could limit suggestions from people. I'd love something with manual options for focus. Fast lens would be ideal as well as weatherproof.

And I realise this is where the cost factor will mean I may get one or two of them Reliable models would be a good choice, especially if it's a risky used buy. I've got an old Olympus AFL quick flash that sadly doesn't want to work (managed to track new battery replacement, soldered them in, but it fast runs the camera (I think the winder).
03-03-2021, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Which P&S are we talking about? The PC35AF?

Pentax PC35AF (1982) - mike eckman dot com

Excellent camera if you can find a working one. That is the biggest issue with these 30-40 year old cameras...

03-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Why not get an SLR? RIcoh, Sears, Cosina and Chinon K-mount SLRs are still very affordable and often will come with great lenses like the Rikenon (also branded Sears Auto) 50mm lenses. You should easily be able to buy a working SLR with lens for 50 dollars or even less. A working PC35AF point and shoot, or other good point and shoots with good lenses, are likely to cost quite a bit of money.

Even the Pentax P3/P30 cameras seem to be selling for reasonable prices still, though you won't be able to buy one for 12 dollars (like I paid for my P30T) anymore.

I would make sure to get a camera that has a manual film advance lever - the automated film advance mechanisms are, a lot of times in my experience, the parts that are more likely to break (and the hardest to fix). Though of course there's a lot that can go wrong with a film camera, so I would just buy one that has been tested and has a warranty.
03-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Which P&S are we talking about? The PC35AF
Not any in particular boriscleto, but I'll check the prices on that suggestion- although as you say, finding a working one...

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Pentax P3/P30 cameras seem to be selling for reasonable prices still, though you won't be able to buy one for 12 dollars (like I did) anymore.
I had considered a P30 as they have cropped up (I'm UK based) for reasonable money with lens (about $75 converted, so a big hike from your paid bargain!)

Why not an SLR, really it's the portability as a spare to have on me and use in the rain; I've got my KS-1 which I love for dry conditions, and now a range of vintage lenses- which would work on the old SLR, and a Fuji X10, which is my current everywhere/work camera (I take pics of trees for work purposes). However, neither are weather sealed.

I was eyeing up a Nikanos 5, but can't convince myself to spend the £100+ on it.

---------- Post added 03-03-21 at 09:25 AM ----------

Quite a few PC35AF for sale, although prices are firm around £44 for a rough working one, £90-130 for a good one.

Weather sealed would be a big draw for me, possibly above many other features.
03-03-2021, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Ricoh GR film cameras are really expensive - but the older AF and FF series also have very good lenses and should be great to shoot with, and can be found for good prices.

But I'd trust an SLR to last longer. A P30 with one of those feather-weight plastic Rikenon 50mm f/1.7 (or the f2, but I prefer the f1.7) lenses would still be quite light and portable. But of course with any older camera, you never know...

03-03-2021, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There were a couple of Olympus cameras in the mid-90s that were “splash proof”. If I remember, one of them was basically a bigger, simpler Mju...

And of course there’s the Pentax 90WR, which I still see cheap in the US. Slow 38-90 zoom, and chunky, but sturdy and decent photos.

-Eric
03-03-2021, 11:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
There were a couple of Olympus cameras in the mid-90s that were “splash proof”. If I remember, one of them was basically a bigger, simpler Mju...

And of course there’s the Pentax 90WR, which I still see cheap in the US. Slow 38-90 zoom, and chunky, but sturdy and decent photos.

-Eric

The 90wr is on my watch list; saw some good recommendations for it, and apparently very reliable.
03-03-2021, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
So, do any of you fine people know of some undiscovered gems to consider trying that are unlikely to bust the bank?
For P&S film cameras, the challenge is not so much finding undiscovered gems as it is finding surviving copies for the category. Good luck!

Steve
03-03-2021, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For P&S film cameras, the challenge is not so much finding undiscovered gems as it is finding surviving copies for the category. Good luck!

Steve
Agreed, hence my suggestion of mostly-manual SLRs with small light lenses... there's quite a few of those in working conditions still.
03-03-2021, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Agreed, hence my suggestion of mostly-manual SLRs with small light lenses... there's quite a few of those in working conditions still.
I think that's got some merit. An M series body with 50mm or 35mm lens won't fit in your jeans pocket like a true p&s but it will fit into a jacket pocket and will usually give better IQ.

Last year I accidently acquired a Pentax MV and M50 f/2 in a job lot for about £20. The MV is not as featured (no manual control)as my other Pentax SLR's and I've already got the faster M50 f/1.7 so I put it on ebay but being quite basic, nobody wanted it. I now use it as a pocket camera and it performs really well and certainly better than most p&s cameras.
03-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I think that's got some merit. An M series body with 50mm or 35mm lens won't fit in your jeans pocket like a true p&s but it will fit into a jacket pocket and will usually give better IQ.
Most film point and shoots won't fit in your jeans pocket, either. At east not the 35mm models The Ricoh AF-5 I had certainly wouldn't. These film cameras need space for the film spooling on both sides of the camera.
03-03-2021, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Verdicts on undiscovered film P&S Pentax

Very interesting street/pocket film camera is the Rollei B35 and its variant.
Still can be had from 100 to 400....
Great glass and a leaf shutter , finicky to operate, until you know it’s “tricks”

Hang up and DRIVE!
03-03-2021, 04:46 PM   #15
gbl

I second the Pentax PC35AF. As for affordable non-Pentax film cameras, I recommend the Minox 35 Series. Although they are not AF (Zone focus only), the Minotar lenses are excellent. These cameras are truly pocketable and you will have a hard time finding something smaller in the 35mm film segment.