Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2021, 01:44 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Point & shoot competition #157 - Song Titles

Ok, so your competition photo must represent a song title. Please include the song title that your photo is meant to represent (and the artist if you want) with your entry.

I've entered a "song title" competition before and it can be great fun. I think there are two ways of approaching it. 1) You think about one of your favourite songs and then attempt to take a photo that somehow represents that song, or 2) you look at your photo collection and try and match an existing photo to a song title. I personally think that the first method is more fun.

When I last did this back in 2008, one of my favourite songs was "Parisienne Walkways" by Gary Moore, so I got the train from England to Paris, just for a day trip, to get the Paris street scene I wanted. I won the competition and the prize money was about a tenth of the train fare but that wasn't the point. It was a great day out with my camera.

I'll cut and paste the usual rules but I will judge the photos on how well they represent the song title as well as how the photo stands up on its own merit. Please note that p&s film shooters are welcome to enter although I appreciate that the process is slower than digital.

Rules:

1. Always have fun!

2. Cameras:

Compact cameras
Sensor size does not matter.
No large format or camera typically requiring a tripod to use.
No interchangeable lens cameras (some exceptions below).
No cameras weighing over 1kg.

Cameras permitted:
Mobile phones, tablets, small sensor toy cameras.
Pentax Q, Nikon 1, Ricoh GR, any 110 film, 35mm point and shoots from the 1980s/90s (e.g. Pentax PC35AF etc.)
Cameras you can take with you in a coat pocket.

ANY CAMERA BRAND ALLOWED.

3. Entries will close April 30th 2021 midnight GMT

4. Maximum image dimensions are 1024x768 (ish) pixels.

5. List camera brand and model with entry for all to see, and exposure data would be nice.

6. No restrictions on when the entries were taken.

7. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date and judges the next competition.

8. Enter up to three images, however you may change your entries as many times as you like up to the closing date/time.

04-01-2021, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is good, real good. So many songs going through my head, and so little time.
04-01-2021, 11:37 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
This is good, real good. So many songs going through my head, and so little time.
I must admit, I wish I could enter myself

The good thing is that it makes your brain work but doesn't actually constrict you to a particular style of photography.

Thinking back to 2008 when I won that competition with the same subject, it was held in my workplace with about 150 employees. The entries (about 30 usually) were printed out and displayed on the wall at work. I think the photos were put up without the song titles for a few days to give people a chance to guess what the song was. Then the song titles were added before the vote was opened to all employees.

The management then paid for the wining photo to be mounted and framed. It would then spend a month on the boardroom wall before being replaced by next months winner then hung permanently in the staff diner. I know this is a bit of a rant but I do think photos look best in their printed form.
04-04-2021, 07:47 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Panasonic FX500, 4.4mm (26mm equivalent), 1/800 at f/5, ISO100

Panasonic FX500, 4.4mm (26mm equivalent), 1/500 at f/4, ISO100

This is a song by Jacques Brel - most likely all but unknown and in French (about the Dutch speaking part of our country ) Hence, next to a link to the song, a link to an English translation of the lyrics as well. Translating poems or lyrics is a task doomed to fail but it'll give an idea about the meaning of the song.

04-05-2021, 12:35 AM - 5 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See you later, Alligator

My first entry is the classic rock'n'roll song by Bill Haley and the Comets --- See You Later, Alligator

The chorus goes---
See you later, Alligator
After 'while crocodile
See you later, Alligator
After 'while crocodile
Can't you see you're in my way now
Don't you know you cramp my style

Here are Bill Haley & the Comets in their amazing 1955 rendition of the song---

And here is my photo of an Alligator, in the Puerto Vallarta airport, taken with my wonderful old small-sensor Olympus C-8080 camera--
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
C8080WZ  Photo 
04-14-2021, 04:03 PM - 5 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is my song title: SONG OF THE SHRIMP by Elvis Presley

And this is a photo of a shrimp fishing boat at the Marker Sea between Lelystad and Almere in the Netherlands, ready to go home.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 
04-14-2021, 04:35 PM - 6 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A little bit of humor. Song title is I JUST WANNA BE A SHEEP

And the photo of a sheep flock of my breed Drenthe Heath Sheep (Drents Heideschaap)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 
04-14-2021, 05:22 PM - 6 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Title of the song is : THE LION KING version

The photo is taken at a very big junkyard in the neigbourhood of Antwerp in Belgium.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio W20  Photo 
04-15-2021, 06:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Excellent..... keep them coming guys
04-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Really great fits, Titia!
04-15-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Fields of gold
Panasonic FX500, 4.4mm (26mm equivalent), 1/800 at f/5, ISO100

Morning has broken
Panasonic FX500, 4.4mm (26mm equivalent), 1/500 at f/4, ISO100

Le plat pays (the flat land)
This is a song by Jacques Brel - most likely all but unknown and in French (about the Dutch speaking part of our country ) Hence, next to a link to the song, a link to an English translation of the lyrics as well. Translating poems or lyrics is a task doomed to fail but it'll give an idea about the meaning of the song.
I love them all.

---------- Post added 04-15-21 at 02:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MiguelATF Quote
My first entry is the classic rock'n'roll song by Bill Haley and the Comets --- See You Later, Alligator

The chorus goes---
See you later, Alligator
After 'while crocodile
See you later, Alligator
After 'while crocodile
Can't you see you're in my way now
Don't you know you cramp my style

Here are Bill Haley & the Comets in their amazing 1955 rendition of the song---

https://youtu.be/1Hb66FH9AzI

And here is my photo of an Alligator, in the Puerto Vallarta airport, taken with my wonderful old small-sensor Olympus C-8080 camera--
LOL yours brought a lot of rock'n roll memories from my time as a starting teen. (Yes, I'm that old )
04-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks, Titia!
04-16-2021, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Temptation has overcome me. My photo

And the song:

04-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Temptation has overcome me. My photo

And the song:

https://youtu.be/xPlqLHcphyw
I like that you posted the photo first, which gave us time to try and guess the song before scrolling down and finding out if we were right or wrong.
04-17-2021, 08:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Definitely fits the song!