Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The door prize: Pentax Optio S12

A few weeks ago I dropped in on the grand opening of Don's Photo near where I live and put my name in the draw. A week later I got a call.
I NEVER win at these things...

Yes, I won something!
A very cute, tiny, pink Pentax Optio S12.

Been carrying it around for the past few days. It's very concealable.
Coming not that long after I bought a Canon Powershot G9, just the day before the big announcement of the G10, I have both P&Ss to compare and contrast.
The S12 and the G9 have the same pixel count and sensor size, but after that they are quite different in many respects. I don't have time to write up a full review, but in playing around last night I found the S12 to have more accurate colour, better white balance, lower noise at ISO400, better and faster low-light autofocus and comparably good resolution.
The G9 has raw capture, manual, Av and Tv modes, a longer zoom, an ND filter, and image stabilization. The S12 has a kind of "digital SR" which basically ramps up the ISO to allow a faster shutter and a "smart zoom" that basically crops for you in camera. I turned both off right away.
Realistically, the raw mode in the G9 does not provide very much additional latitude as far as highlight/shadow recovery, although it makes correcting the WB a bit better. With the S12 the WB is usually pretty good from the git go. Both let you set a custom WB.

With a tripod and good light, the S12 takes a bit nicer photos than the G9 IMHO. OTOH, if I had a tripod with me I'd also have my DLSR.

Neither could replace my DSLR, but sometimes just having anything at hand is better than nothing at all.

Which camera I take with me is likely to depend on the size of an available pocket.
:-)

--
dbh - P&Ser when necessary

11-25-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats. I never win either.
Which reminds me - when Henry's open their local store, they dinna have any draws.
I was the second person in the door and they wouldinna even send me a copy.

I'd take the Pentax so you could enter the P&S comps on the forum.