Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 67 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2021, 11:37 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Point and Shoot Competition #159 - Signs

Hi everybody,
Theme for this month's P&S competition is "Signs". Sometimes signs themselves are interesting on their own, and sometimes signs could make your picture more interesting. Show me your P&S pictures featuring all kinds of signs!

As for rules, let's use the same ones as last month's:

1. Always have fun!

2. Cameras:

Compact cameras
Sensor size does not matter.
No large format or camera typically requiring a tripod to use.
No interchangeable lens cameras (some exceptions below).
No cameras weighing over 1kg.

Cameras permitted:
Mobile phones, tablets, small sensor toy cameras.
Pentax Q, Nikon 1, Ricoh GR, any 110 film, 35mm point and shoots from the 1980s/90s (e.g. Pentax PC35AF etc.)
Cameras you can take with you in a coat pocket.

ANY CAMERA BRAND ALLOWED.

3. Entries will close May 31 Jun 30 2021 midnight PST (Thanks Jim for catching typo!)

4. Maximum image dimensions are 1024x768 (ish) pixels.

5. List camera brand and model with entry for all to see, and exposure data would be nice.

6. No restrictions on when the entries were taken.

7. Contest winner determines the rules, selects theme, sets closing date and judges the next competition.

8. Enter up to three images, however you may change your entries as many times as you like up to the closing date/time.

Last edited by kwb; 06-06-2021 at 01:51 PM.
06-06-2021, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #2

I am hoping it closes June 30, not May 31.
06-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimfellows Quote
I am hoping it closes June 30, not May 31.
Thanks Jim, I hope so too.
Fixed that in the original post.
06-13-2021, 04:15 PM - 5 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's three for me to kick it off. First two are the ancient and great Fuji X10, and the last trusty iPhone7. All with P&S auto.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
06-14-2021, 08:20 AM - 5 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Agfa 1035, Fuji C200

06-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #6
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Here's three for me to kick it off. First two are the ancient and great Fuji X10, and the last trusty iPhone7. All with P&S auto.
Great way to start it, David!
Lovely urban street shots with signs (#1 and #3), and a humorous sign at the side of the road (is that for a lobster restaurant?).
QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
Agfa 1035, Fuji C200

Huss, something about the picture automatically made me think, without really thinking, that this is on the wall, not on the floor, and I don't know why. And I like the contrast of brightly colored sign VS the concrete (I like its texture too) VS the shadow shape. It looks as if it somehow the shadow cannot touch the sign.

I've never seen or heard of Agfa 1035 before so I googled, and it's a handsome camera (Agfa Optima 1035 Sensor Review - Casual Photophile) isn't it!
06-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Agfa 1035, Fuji C200

Excellent entries, David and Huss!

06-14-2021, 12:05 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I'm struggling with this one. I live in a rural area and I think there would be more opportunities in an urban setting. I'll post this one and maybe try to get something different/better later.

Ricoh GR III

06-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Lovely urban street shots with signs (#1 and #3), and a humorous sign at the side of the road (is that for a lobster restaurant?).

Huss, something about the picture automatically made me think, without really thinking, that this is on the wall, not on the floor, and I don't know why. And I like the contrast of brightly colored sign VS the concrete (I like its texture too) VS the shadow shape. It looks as if it somehow the shadow cannot touch the sign.

I've never seen or heard of Agfa 1035 before so I googled, and it's a handsome camera (Agfa Optima 1035 Sensor Review - Casual Photophile) isn't it!
Thanks!

Yeah it's on the ground, one of those keep 6ft apart signs, but I balanced over it as best I could so I was shooting straight down. Then it could be on any surface!

These Agfa series of compact cameras have a very very cool Bauhaus industrial minimalistic design that if in production now would look totally current.
06-14-2021, 01:52 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Minolta Prod 20's, Kodak E100VS

06-14-2021, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote

Thanks kwb. That big 'sign' is in front of the large lobster pound in Prospect Harbor, Maine where many fishermen bring their daily catch. It was a sardine factory decades ago and he was holding a can of sardines. It got recycled, usefully. It is also huge.

Last edited by Jacquot; 06-14-2021 at 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling
06-15-2021, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #12
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I'm struggling with this one. I live in a rural area and I think there would be more opportunities in an urban setting. I'll post this one and maybe try to get something different/better later.

Ricoh GR III
Hi Vendee, it's great that you submitted that one as I always enjoy seeing signs foreign to me, so please keep posting! I like the old style of the pole, how each letter seems to be a cut piece riveted(?) to the metal plate rather than printed, rust stain left on "Lower Stow Bedon" plate but not on others, and how a part of the pole is covered with some green stuff (mildew? moss?). Totally different atmosphere from where I live (see attached, shot with my old Panasonic DMC-FX1, note that middle of the scale is "High" fire danger).
Minolta Prod 20's, Kodak E100VS

Another example of interesting film look shot with an interesting film P&S camera, thanks! There should be one film camera left in my household somewhere, it should still have a roll of film that's at least 15 years old, waiting for an opportunity to be found by me to take some pictures.
Thanks kwb. That big 'sign' is in front of the large lobster pound in Prospect Harbor, Maine where many fishermen bring their daily catch. It was a sardine factory decades ago and he was holding a can of sardines. It got recycled, usefully. It is also huge.
Does lobster pound mean lobster factory, then? I like the style of the painting combined with the size. Quite American if you ask me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FX1  Photo 
06-15-2021, 10:14 AM - 5 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Nikon LiteTouchAF, Fuji Superia 400

06-15-2021, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

kwb: It is more like a depot/middleman, where the catch is brought and sold. No processing there. True Americana, I agree.
06-16-2021, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Sign of the times
Ricoh GR III