Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Optio S10 vs Optio A40

Hi
I can see compacts do not really generate much interest from the posts here but I'll try anyway.
I have an S10 now. Super compact and large CCD as compared with the usual 1/2.5" of the other makes in the same price range.

Problem now is I also have a K200D and like the SR. The A40 has most of the specs of the S10 plus SR and dynamic range adjustment. Its also bigger, hence my dilemma, although not by much. However, I do like the SR but I will need to sell the S10 at a high loss and buy the A40 which cost 33% more expensive than the S10 brand new.

I also read because of the 12MP vs the 10MP, the A40 tend to have noisier images, so for dimmer place and SR, the advantage of being able to use a lower ISO is negated. Can anyone comment on that?
Anyone has any opinions on comparison between the 2?

Thanks in advance.
:-)

12-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Richard, welcome to the forum

The S10 is an excellent p&s camera, good enough for most occasion. If really want a big step up, go for the Panasonic LX3 or Canon G10. Don't think the A40 would make a big difference from the S10 IQ wise.
12-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
HI FW,
Thanks! I took a look at the LX3 and its a monster. I would classify them more as "medium" than "compacts". I wanted something you can slip into your pocket without knowing its there because I tend to travel light. If I can make do without carrying a bag around, I will.
12-07-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
Damn Brit

Hi and welcome. Unfortunately with P&S cameras you can't depend on newer models to be necessarily better, sometimes you just get more functions and no improvement in picture quality. Also unfortunately, Pentax don't exactly set the world on fire with P&S cameras, there are better alternatives out there.

12-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe look for an A30. It was only 10MP and had SR. Haven't keept up with the S10. Is it the decendant of the original "Altoids" tin camera? The A40 is a very small camera. It has a very big sensor in it compared to other P&S, like the Pana that Damn Brit mentioned. A few more MP in a much larger chip may still beat your camera fo high iso shooting. Especially considering the SR.
Damn Brit is only partly right about Pentax not having competitive P&S cameras. If you want something as small as S10 or A30/40 they are very competitive. The cameras many rate better (Canon G10, Pana Lx3, etc.) are a fair amount larger (Pana) to huge (Canon).
thanks
barondla

Check out P&S CONTEST in P&S forum.
12-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.
I did some research on the 2 but nothing beats real opinions from users but I note that PnS are very unpopular topics in any camera forums regardless of the brands. Its DSLR talk everywhere!

The S10 came out a little earlier, at 10MP on a 1/1.8" CCD. Its a sequel to their famous "micro compact" S-series.

The A40 that came after has all the same specs plus dynamic range adjustment and shutter priority (but strangely no aperture priority which is the more used mode). On top of that, it has optical stabilization which accounted for its larger size and higher cost (30% more where I come from). It spots 12MP on a 1/1.7" CCD which means its is slightly more noisy than the S10 but also able to use a lower ISO due to SR mode.
But again, I do like SR, seeing how effective it is on my K200D.

The best thing I like about Pentax PnS is many in their range use bigger CCDs unlike the other brands when almost their entire range (less the premium) are based on the tiny 1/2.5" CCDs.

The A30 could probably be good at 10MP on a 1/1.8" CCD but its not that easily available here. It also lacks the new enhanced dynamic range mode in the A40 and probably a earlier version processing engine. But if I could get my hands on one locally, I don't changing from my S10.