Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2007, 03:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Never

Made a successor to the 750z. For one reason or the other, I ended up never getting the 750z, in fact the only compact non-SLR digicam I ever owned was a Sony Cybershot P51, 2.1MP. I wanted a 750z because it looked nice, however the reviews always seemed to give it a mixed reaction...

Attractive as it was, the criticism of it's zoom lens put me off the camera (lens is half the game!)..., but I wanted Pentax to release a "version 2.0" of sorts.

I suppose it's safe to say that it's a dead dream now.

Any thoughts? I wonder if anyone has one of these here in the forum...

Cheers,
-Asad

03-13-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Given that I feel a little loyal to Pentax now, I'd probably buy the Optio with the 3" touch screen.

But - nah.
03-13-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Given that I feel a little loyal to Pentax now, I'd probably buy the Optio with the 3" touch screen.

But - nah.
Nah is right, that's got to be one of the worst things they made in a long time... compare that to the user interface Samsung put on their NV10 et al, and it quickly becomes apparent... in fact that Samsung is on my radars... Phil Askey says it has high contrast by default, I say hurray for that. ;-)

Cheers,
-Asad
03-15-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I loved the 750. It was the only P&S camera that really excited me. Also waited for the replacement 850. Wanted raw and a dedicated hotshoe added. Never happened. Now I know I should have bought a 750. Argghh. May find one some day. Don't think there will ever be one now.
The Samsung looks great but I hear performance is so so. Camera I like now is the Pana 10mp with 16:9 ration. It even has raw. Lots of pros using it. Leica lens is supposed to be great. Never have seen one though. The Pentax A30 could also be interesting. Nice big chip for a P&S.
thanks
barondla

03-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Samsung maybe innovative with their smart touch but photo quality is something they just can't seem to conquer. Mostly bad ISO problems and heavy noise reduction. The lenses aren't all that great either. Panasonic had similar alhtough not as bad ISO management. The Leica lenses and the MEGA OIS are probably what keeps Panasonic going. I like their FZ series cameras but that sensor is getting really old and cramming all those megapixels is bad. The FZ-10 and FZ-20 were very good in that they had 36-432mm at constant f2.8 which is insane. I think they should put more effort into R&D and make a better processor/ccd.

As for Pentax digicams, I see Pentax cameras using alot of the same lens designs found on Casio digital cameras. the lens is very small and I doubt the smc coats on the pentax versions help very much. Pentax seems to have too much going on right now to concentrate on consumer/prosumer cameras as much of their effort latest seems concentrated on their dSLR and Medium Format divisions.
03-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
As for Pentax digicams, I see Pentax cameras using alot of the same lens designs found on Casio digital cameras. the lens is very small and I doubt the smc coats on the pentax versions help very much.
Hmmm...I thought that Pentax co-designed the lenses with Casio?
03-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote

As for Pentax digicams, I see Pentax cameras using alot of the same lens designs found on Casio digital cameras. the lens is very small and I doubt the smc coats on the pentax versions help very much. Pentax seems to have too much going on right now to concentrate on consumer/prosumer cameras as much of their effort latest seems concentrated on their dSLR and Medium Format divisions.
The Lenses on the Casio cameras are pentax designed and made, the other thing is that pentax have stated that they are not wasting any more R&D dollars (Yen) on P&S cameras and instead concentrating on DSLRs (35mm type and 645 type)
03-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Oh really? Wow haha I thought they both got them off someone else. (..like how the FujiFilm 10.7X zooms on their prosumer lines are made by Tamron.)

Wow that explains it. I've seen like no change on the lens apperence. Save the SMC Pentax to.. just "Pentax Lens".

03-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Camera I like now is the Pana 10mp with 16:9 ration. It even has raw. Lots of pros using it. Leica lens is supposed to be great. Never have seen one though.
If you are referring to the DMC-FZ50, it is one hell of a camera. I own one and the only downfall is that it is awfully noisy about about ISO400. I don't mind that one little bit. It's an excellent cam.
03-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just bought the wife the Samsung NV-15

Holy crap it's a nice camera! Metal body, very sleek, highly styled and amazing controls. That touch system on the back works flawlessly. Within a minute and never reading the manual I had it figured out.
03-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Was talking about the DMC-LX2. Fits in shirt pocket. Actually have one now. Love it. Wish it would shoot raw only. It gets fewer shots in raw+jpeg than the K10D!!
thanks
barondla