Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #16
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just ordered A40

Buddha: I just ordered an A40 for a trip January 11th. I ordered from Amazon at a decent price ($141.00). I took the free shipping, so I may not actually get the camera until mid-January - if that happens I'll just take my K10.

When I get it I'll PM and we can compare findings.

01-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Buddha Jones, any shots yet from the A40?

cheers,

rene
01-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #18
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Early Attempt

Here is an early attempt with my brand-new A40. Admittedly I didn't really understand all the controls yet, and the photo was taken through a hotel room window. It is very noisy for what it is - but in good light these are pretty good cameras.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/455930-post15.html
01-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For those looking for a variety of shots with the A40, I've been putting all the ones that we snap into a folder. There are candid portraits in low light, landscape, and macro shots all mixed in:

Optio A40 - a set on Flickr

I've found that there are a lot of settings to optimize or otherwise control the exposure for different environments. Maybe too many! Noise can be a problem, but then, I'm comparing it to my K10D, which is unfair.

My girlfriend really likes shooting macro with it. We found that when taking pictures on the road, it has a tendency to flare pretty badly. It would be good if a makeshift hood could be cobbled together for situations when it's used in direct sunlight.

Most of the pictures in this folder are processed with the "flat" histogram setting, rather than the "bright" setting.

01-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #20
Inactive Account

very very nice shots smigol, I looked at your flicker site and to tell you frankly, the landscape shots are impressive IMHO.
03-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #21

Hi all. New poster here. Be gentle.

I bought an Optio A40 for the wife just before Christmas. It's been great until this weekend. She turned it off and the lens never fully retreated, but the camera shut off. Now, when we turn it on, we get the Optio logo on the display and then it powers off.

Surfing various forums indicate that a number of users have this problem and that Pentax indicates that it is impact damage and not covered under warranty. I can say with fair certainty that our camera didn't fail due to impact damage (since I was watching it).

Some posters have claimed that manually forcing the lens assembly out while powering the camera on 'unsticks' it, but I've been hesitant to try that. Others say that on various Optio models, the firmware becomes corrupt and it needs to be reflashed. I'd go that route, but I can't seem to find A40 firmware.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

This problem notwithstanding, we're happy with the feature set, picture quality, and the price point. I think I paid < $120 for it.
03-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

IQ is terrific comparing to competitors

I bought an A40 in January. Before buying it, I did a lot comparisons. I pulled out the images captured by the reviewers at SteveDigiCam, DPReview, etc. Take my words: don't look at their reviews at all! What they said in their reviews don't match what I saw in their sample images.

Here's what I found:
1. IQ from A40 is far better than that from Panasonic's (e.g. DMC-FX3). The image resolution and clarity from Panasonic's are simply bad when you compare them to Pentax's.
2. IQ from A40 is better than or equal to that from Canon's (e.g. SD880 IS).

Keep in mind: both DMC-FX3 and SD880 IS are more expensive than A40.

I don't know why these reviewers think A40 is bad comparing to DMC-FX3 & SD880 IQ wise. As for performance, SteveDigiCam said for DMC-FX3: "Performance from the FX35 was very good for a 10-megapixel camera." But according to them, "The shutter delay is ... 6/10 of a second when allowing the auto focus to work." However, they said these about A40: "Shooting performance was average ..." & "The shutter delay was ... 4/10 of a second when allowing the camera to focus."

So, I would rather not to trust their reviews. Trust your eyes instead. Use their sample images just as a way to access images.
03-31-2009, 09:03 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Steves does not review cameras, they just list all of the features and controls and give an opinion at the end, no crops, no tests, and the speed measurements are widely differnt than real life.

03-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Hey Guys, I have the camera and have taken pics with it but havent had a moments free breathe to move them from camera to PC yet to see how I am liking them, plus I am still getting used to the controls so I dont wanna prematurely say I love or hate it until I know how to use it. This is afterall my first P&S camera so I am kind of a newb in that area. But I will get more than my fair share of opts to use it over the Holidays!
Looking forward to hearing how you like it. The IQ from the A40 has been very impressive.
*Isteve had an interesting thread, where he compared crop A40 shots to ones from DSLR. We all had a hard time figuring out, which were from what.

QuoteOriginally posted by airconvent Quote
The A30 - Earlier launch than the S10 with optical stabilisation. Portrait mode has "Portrait" and "Kids" mode. Has manual mode as well as shutter priority (no aperture priority though)
The S10 - Most compact 10 MP camera. It feels so nice and small in your hand and slips into your pouch or pocket discretely. Adds date imprint function (i wanted this on the A30...sigh) . Portrait mode includes a "Half Body Portrait" mode although its use is dubious.

Having done a comparison under a variety of conditions, I concluded that the S10/A30 represents the maximum pixels that is acceptable with the 1/1.8" CCD size. I suspect the noise on the A40/S12 would be more noticeable (12MP on 1/1.7" CCD).

Summary of my findings :
1. The A30 SR rocks! I try not to use flash to lock in the natural colours although the camera seems to perform better with it. Without flash, the images were clearly sharper under lower light conditions than those of the S10.
2. Under outdoor daylight conditions, it is possible to get DSLR-like quality images although the quality drops quickly the moment the level of lighting drops.
3. Noise reduction on the S10 is more aggressive. That means for the same indoor shot, the A30 shows noticebly more noise but I do detect there were a little more details, so the improvement on the S10 was due to NR but I do have to admit the NR was done quite pleasantly. If only the A30 was as aggressive.

Conclusion : I really love the small sexy compactness of the S10 but the SR of the A30 has won me over and its not that much bigger, only less sexy. :-) Hence I am willing to overlook the higher noise and opt to keep the A30 if I had to choose between the 2. Will carry out more tests before I confirm. The battery life probably sucks with the SR though but I have not done any tests on this.
Thanks for your run through

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here is an early attempt with my brand-new A40. Admittedly I didn't really understand all the controls yet, and the photo was taken through a hotel room window. It is very noisy for what it is - but in good light these are pretty good cameras.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/455930-post15.html
Looks pretty good to me. I think this could make it ok in print

Last edited by Jonson PL; 03-31-2009 at 09:54 PM.