Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2022, 11:38 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
I guess I am a little confused. What advantage do these monochrome conversions have over just shooting in RAW and processing as a black and white image in Lightroom?
Actual resolution (it's similar to pixel shift as all the sensor pixels are used, a normal sensor needs four to make up one pixel) and low light performance. Use a search engine for more detailed info.

03-31-2022, 12:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Actual resolution (it's similar to pixel shift as all the sensor pixels are used, a normal sensor needs four to make up one pixel) and low light performance. Use a search engine for more detailed info.
I didn't realize that's how it works, thank you.
03-31-2022, 01:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I didn't realize that's how it works, thank you.
If you use FB I can provide some video samples
04-01-2022, 08:35 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you but I avoid FB.

04-01-2022, 11:51 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Thank you but I avoid FB.
anyway, here is one sample
04-04-2022, 01:06 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

TO add more to the discussion - the typical way a camera creates images is to interpolate the color filter array data into meaningful images by demosaicing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosaicing#:~:text=A%20demosaicing%20(also%20...20array%20(CFA).) the data to guess at what colors are when they don't actually line up with the correct pixels. Essentially it looks at data from the other sensor sites and creates a best guess. A true monochrome camera doesn't require this and you can simply go right to the brightness values for each pixel ignoring the rest. This has implications in detail level and accuracy.