03-25-2022, 07:38 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is beautiful.

03-25-2022, 11:25 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
iPhone 12 pro. These are recent Kusama sculptures (2019) at the NYBG Glass House (1902).
A beautiful scene, David!
03-31-2022, 11:39 PM - 5 Likes   #18
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful shots, barondla and David!

My picture taking was down to minimum this month. I was involved in a car accident earlier (overspeeding car 1 hit car 2, which hit car 3, car 1 also hit car 3, and car 3 hit my car), I'm not hurt but I lost my car. Though the value of my car was covered by the insurance, buying a replacement car meant significant unplanned expense for me, this sucked up my time and energy. Anyway, I got a new (to me) car and my life is getting back to normal, so here's my picture I took this evening.

These are my fountain pens, one is new (less than 1 year), two are between 10 and 50 years old, and two are older than 50. Fuji X-Q1, ISO200, F/5, 6.4mm, 1/400 sec, with LED light.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XQ1  Photo 
04-01-2022, 05:05 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The competition is now closed. As KWB's entry was submitted after I left home for a few days, I'd like to view it on my monitor at home as I did with the others rather than viewing it on my phone. I should be home on Sunday.

04-01-2022, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

That's really attractive, kwb!
I haven't used a fountain pen in the last 40+ years but I do appreciate the designs.

Sorry I haven't had the chance to come up with something, Vendee!
04-03-2022, 09:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Congratulations to David for his Kusama sculptures photo which was this months winner. It wasn't the easiest of briefs but I liked that you captured both parts of it "naturally" as it were. Many thanks to the others for their worthy entries although I do wonder if this competition has much of a future with only a few people entering every month.
04-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Vendee. I loved the other entries, too. I've generally tried to post every month, but the last year has been challenging with home caregiving, and now we are moving NY to FL the end of the week.

I'll post a new competition in the next days and hope we get more takers, too. I've wondered if it would help to be under 'challenges' rather than 'Pentax compact cameras.' Anybody have an opinion on that?

04-04-2022, 07:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've wondered if it would help to be under 'challenges' rather than 'Pentax compact cameras.' Anybody have an opinion on that?
I think that idea has got merit. I've been a member of PentaxForums since 2009 but I only frequented the film related forums because that's what all my film gear was (My DSLR is another well known brand). Then about 18 months ago I bought my GRIII so I started looking in on this forum.

This sub forum is "Pentax Compact Cameras" but the competition is open to non-Pentax models and even camera phones so I reckon a lot of folks who would be eligible to submit an entry wouldn't even think to pop into this forum.
04-04-2022, 10:57 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Thanks Vendee. I loved the other entries, too. I've generally tried to post every month, but the last year has been challenging with home caregiving, and now we are moving NY to FL the end of the week.

I'll post a new competition in the next days and hope we get more takers, too. I've wondered if it would help to be under 'challenges' rather than 'Pentax compact cameras.' Anybody have an opinion on that?
Congratulations, David!
and all others as well by the way.

Relocating the P&S competition might indeed be a good idea.
I think barondla should have a final say in this however. After all, he started this 168 months ago.
04-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #25
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats David! And thanks Vendee for this one!

Though we had only three entrants this month and that was a bit extreme, I think we've been doing OK. Looking at the three recent contests before this, we've had 5, 9 and 9 entrants. Anyway, I'm split about this, on one hand more exposure is likely to attract new people and that's a VERY good thing, OTOH there are many perpetual threads in the challenges sub-forum, each accepting single theme entry, so our themes selection would be limited or, alternatively, we'll at times allow more than one thread (including P&S competition) to have the same theme in parallel. I agree with Bart that it's up to barondla as the originator of the P&S competition.
04-05-2022, 02:21 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the past I've been a member of a few photography challenges and I left them all, except this one. Reason:

I like small groups where you gradually get to know everyone a little better.The larger the group, the more impersonal it becomes.
I really like the setup of this challenge and yes, sometimes you get a lotof submissions and sometimes less.

Last month I was very busy every day to empty a three-room apartment of a ladyfor whom I provide care, because she has moved into a nursing home. That was a hell of a lot of work. However, there were only oldthings in the house and a selfie with the old stuff didn't help because I am not new either, I'm 77 years old myself, LOL. Sometimes you really do want to participate, but then real life comes in between.

I hope it stays where it is now.
My two cents.
04-05-2022, 03:46 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Titia Quote

I like small groups where you gradually get to know everyone a little better.The larger the group, the more impersonal it becomes.
I really like the setup of this challenge and yes, sometimes you get a lotof submissions and sometimes less.

While I respect your opinion I don't think I can agree with it. With the same 4 or 5 people entering every month, it seems like you just have to wait your turn to win. I like to be challenged more. I would love to see 10 or 12 entries every month.

I also wonder if its worth appending a list of the previous 12 competition subjects into the competition rules so that anyone setting a new competition can avoid using a subject that has been used recently?
04-05-2022, 04:08 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like Bart's opinion that this should be deferred to Barondla as the person who began the Challenge. I forget how I found this, likely through someone else I followed who posted here in the past. However it was, I'm glad I did. I'll post the next challenge later today. In full pack mode today, entering the red warning zone with the truck coming Friday.
04-05-2022, 07:27 PM   #29
Unregistered User

I have mixed feelings about this situation.

I really like the idea of P&S cameras used for creative photography, especially small (1" or less) sensors, phones included, there is some great stuff posted here. The competition is kind of mis-named in the Pentax Compact Cameras section, except for the Q system there doesn't seem to be many Pentax compact cameras still being used. Maybe the competition could be moved to the Other Cameras section and that section could be renamed Pentax Compacts, Other Cameras and Phones . A side benefit is that then the Ricoh GR could have a section by itself.

Just a thought.
04-06-2022, 10:55 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Jacquot on the win. Your entry captured the theme beautifully. Thanks to Vendee for running an excellent contest. Jacquot has already started the next contest. Looking forward to seeing the entries and competing.

Interesting ideas on improving the contest. I will start a new, more visible thread to discuss the situation. That will allow everyone to participate. Hopefully the thread will be up by tomorrow.

Thanks,
barondla