Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2022, 11:29 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is an old but quite impressive bridge camera, with a manual control zoom, modern bridge camera should design like that.

03-22-2022, 12:46 AM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Here is an old but quite impressive bridge camera, with a manual control zoom, modern bridge camera should design like that.
The modern solution to that - i.e. chunky DSLR-like bridge camera with big zoom range, articulating screen, full manual control, raw capture etc. - is the Sony RX10 MkIV, but it's not cheap. A lower priced option - just one third the price, actually - would be the Panasonic DMC-FZ1000... but of course there are numerous reasons why it's so much cheaper

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-22-2022 at 03:40 AM.
03-22-2022, 08:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the last years I used mostly Canon 6D, a good camera. But 6 month ago I have bought a bridge camera, a second hand Nikon P900, for my planespoting passion. This camera became the every day camera for me, because of the its weight, a little over 2 pounds. Of course, the quality is behind to that of Canon 6D, but is really good for daily photography, thanks to an amazing optics, for a 83X zoom. And is not the last generation, or the last technology. So, I think that is room for a bridge camera of this kind.
03-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
...A mechanical connected zoom ring is not going to work on cameras with the extreme zoom range of todays bridge cameras.
It is difficult when zoom range goes above 12-15x, but most peope want at least 50x zoom range on a bridge camera.
Well, do note that the Fuji HS50 has a 42x manual zoom! Quite unusual though.

03-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
This. I've seen a few RX10 IVs around on trips, and it produces really good images all things considered from what has been shared with me. It has a decently large sensor and good range (24-600 equiv) with generally fast enough apertures at the longer end to get subject separation you associate with large sensor cameras.

It also costs roughly as much as a K-3 III or K-1 II. It's arguably a better single lens combination than a superzoom + ILC.
Even Bruce Barnbaum uses it on workshops he does. Saw it in the appendix of one of his books.
03-22-2022, 09:52 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
… with a manual control zoom,
This is something I‘d also appreciate on my 1“ Sony camera!

Does the Sony RX10 MkIV have it?
03-22-2022, 10:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
Well, do note that the Fuji HS50 has a 42x manual zoom! Quite unusual though.
Anything is possible if you can make a compromize on requirements, and in the case on size.
I did not expect a bridge camera the size of K1 with kit lens would fit the requirement of "compact" size.
Compact Camera Meter

---------- Post added 22-03-22 at 19:00 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
This is something I‘d also appreciate on my 1“ Sony camera!

Does the Sony RX10 MkIV have it?
No it is power zoom, which pretty much is a requirement on a high quality video. (silent an smooth zoom).