Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2022, 06:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax X5

Any have or used a Pentax X5? What do you think of it, good, bad, ok?

11-30-2022, 06:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
16 mpix packed in 6x4 mm sensor. I think your mobile is more advanced
11-30-2022, 07:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
16 mpix packed in 6x4 mm sensor. I think your mobile is more advanced

I doubt it, my phone is old, probably doesn't even have a camera. I actually use my phone for phone calls, not really a phone camera person. Just looking for something I can take quick snapshots with and transfer them to my PC. Found a good deal on a X5. I have a K5 and K50 for serious stuff.
11-30-2022, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think his mobile zooms to 580mm... mine doesn't

11-30-2022, 01:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That’s an old model from 2012. The sensor is small, EVF is low resolution, iso performance is weak. That entire class of cameras has been slowly phased out by almost every company but some persist. In order to answer this question - I’d need input on your intended use vs budget. Looking at eBay these often sell for well under $100 - some are under $50. For similar money I can’t imagine much better. So if that’s your budget - that’s about par for the course. Also common to this class is the 1/ 2/3” sensor which allows such a wide zoom range in that size package. A 1” sensor zoom is my favorite compact size sensor but in super zoom the size of the package and budget are bloated.
11-30-2022, 06:20 PM   #6
Closed Account

Hey Dennis, I've had an X-5 for many moons and found it to be quite good for what it is....and I've given a very basic review below.
As mentioned above, the optical zoom range is very handy (digital zoom not so good as the SR not enough) and the 1cm macro is surprisingly good IMO.
It has features and functions that can be changed to suit like ISO, white balance, etc.............and it has the much sought after flippy screen!!!
When the available light is good, the jpeg only images are very useable. If you only want a record of an event or trip without the IQ of a DSLR, I can recommend the X-5.

Pentax X-5 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
11-30-2022, 06:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That’s an old model from 2012. The sensor is small, EVF is low resolution, iso performance is weak. That entire class of cameras has been slowly phased out by almost every company but some persist. In order to answer this question - I’d need input on your intended use vs budget. Looking at eBay these often sell for well under $100 - some are under $50. For similar money I can’t imagine much better. So if that’s your budget - that’s about par for the course. Also common to this class is the 1/ 2/3” sensor which allows such a wide zoom range in that size package. A 1” sensor zoom is my favorite compact size sensor but in super zoom the size of the package and budget are bloated.

Thanks. It's not really about budget, I just want something cheap, quick, and easy for snapshots I can transfer to my PC. I have DSLRs that serve me well. But I do want something that takes decent photos.

---------- Post added 11-30-22 at 08:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hey Dennis, I've had an X-5 for many moons and found it to be quite good for what it is....and I've given a very basic review below.
As mentioned above, the optical zoom range is very handy (digital zoom not so good as the SR not enough) and the 1cm macro is surprisingly good IMO.
It has features and functions that can be changed to suit like ISO, white balance, etc.............and it has the much sought after flippy screen!!!
When the available light is good, the jpeg only images are very useable. If you only want a record of an event or trip without the IQ of a DSLR, I can recommend the X-5.

Pentax X-5 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Thanks for that. I did find those reviews and seems like it is a well liked little camera. I think it will serve my purpose.

11-30-2022, 09:08 PM   #8
Closed Account

Thanks for that.
Most welcome.

If you go to Photo Sample Search section linked below and put X-5 as the camera (per the screenshot) you will see a good representation of achievable results.

Pentax Camera & Lens Sample Photo Search Engine - PentaxForums.com
Attached Images