Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2022, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a similar but different experience, although what got the passion back for me wasn't Pentax/Ricoh on its own, although I'm still using my Pentax as well.
I'm passionate about natural history from the smallest bugs and fungi up to birds, and quite frankly gear choices were causing me to constantly miss opportunities. Have a macro lens on? A bird inevitably shows up. Have a long lens on? Inevitably there's some bug I want to photograph.
Seemingly always having the wrong lens on was just too frustrating so I bought another camera.
I would have bought Ricoh if they'd had RAW capabilities, but I ended up buying an Olympus TG-6. It shoots RAW, it fits in my pocket, and it even shoots underwater so I can photograph critters in streams and the sea. My Pentax K-70 now pretty much has a DA 55-300 on it full time for birds, and I carry less weight with two cameras than carrying a second lens, but can switch between them at a moment's notice.
Sure, I could print bigger with a macro lens on the K-70, but who does wall sized posters of bugs anyway?
I can go out now and actually capture bird images. I also get bug images, and flower images, and fungi, and don't have to stop and think about whether I've got the right gear ready because it always is.

I haven't got rid of any of my gear, as sometimes I do feel like going out and shooting landscapes, and the APS-C sensor and resolution of the K-70 is far better for that than the tiny sensor in the TG-6, but I feel more inclined to do a dedicated landscape expedition with just one lens if I've been able to satisfy my desire for some good natural history images, and to be honest, I actually can capture pleasing landscapes with the 55-300, just I need to think a little differently to if I had a wide lens with me.

12-06-2022, 12:36 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One thing I forgot to say in my ramble, and possibly more in line with the original post. When I hit a real slump I put my 20-40mm on the KP and go and shoot in the cathedral or the medieval priory. They are wonderful and so rewarding. They act as a reset and remind me why I enjoy photography. One time I was in the priory, finishing a roll of film on my Yashica-Mat and there was a Tenor practicing for a recital of Schubert. Utterly fabulous.
12-06-2022, 02:22 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Brett,

Thank you for sharing your article. I found it helpful and pretty interesting, as were some other articles on your website which I read. I think a lot of people can relate.

I started photography in HS, just picked up a low cost SLR (Praktica fully manual) and I can't even remember how I cobbled together the money to get a cheap enlarger and begin developing my own B&W film. Long story short, I'd travel around to little towns (under 2000 people) and shoot pics at their football and basketball games. Then a day or two later, I'd drop by all the small town newspaper offices with a handful of good, high-contrast shots that they might want to publish in their weeklies. Well, it wasn't the greatest business model, but I was in HS and it kept me in gasoline money back then, plus was fun seeing people and talking to the ink-covered newspaper men.

Anyway, at some point, I lost touch with photography and have been trying to exercise my creativity more now that I've got more free time, after jobs which always seemed to involve long hours. The odd thing I've found it that I can remember when I was young, I could immediately pick out a cool scene or nice composition, just without thinking. These days, I have more trouble with that. Maybe it's because my mind is more cluttered with various things.

Life isn't as simple as a retiree as it is as a high schooler. hahaha.... no kidding! Anyway, I loved your article. I related to the things you have to say. I hope there are more articles to come, as you feel like it.

I think I'll keep using the cameras I have as I try to practice and explore, looking for my lost "natural" photography ability. I think the KP is really a pretty decent camera. I'm sure a Ricoh GR would be great! I know what you mean about a simple small camera that is always along.

For a long time, I used an Olympus XA2. Small, light, very easy to focus, I carried it everywhere. Later on, I got a Canon Elph something. 300 or whatever Powershot. Carried it with me all the time. Well, now I want to be able to use my collection of DSLR and lenses, so I'm still practicing from time to time.

Maybe the idea of a weekly photo walk is the training I need! Thanks and wishing you well !
12-16-2022, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hey everyone,

Thank you all so much for your responses. I apologize for not getting back to you all sooner. As well as having many heart health issues, I deal with chronic migraines. So let's just say the past seven days haven't been kind. However, I am on the upswing now, so yay for that.

I enjoyed reading your responses so much. It's amazing that photography can do so much for us. I felt so lost during my slump. I would actively look for reasons not to go shooting, which caused so much mental harm. Now, no matter what, I grab my camera. With a renewed vision, I find that photography is helping me deal with issues on so many levels. Thank you for all sharing your experiences and for inspiring me. I appreciate it a lot.

All the best,
Brett

12-16-2022, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brettday Quote
Thank you for all sharing your experiences and for inspiring me.
You inspired me brother to get out there and do more photography. Good to have you back.

Cheers,
Boris
12-16-2022, 03:52 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
You inspired me brother to get out there and do more photography. Good to have you back.

Cheers,
Boris
That's so good to hear! What have you been shooting? Feel free to share some pics here in the thread.

All the best,
Brett
12-16-2022, 08:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brettday Quote
Feel free to share some pics here in the thread.
Brett,

Here is seven shot pano with K1 and 28-105 lens. I think this is my first time posting images. Let's see if it works.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/7-pentax-compact-cameras/591835d1671247032-six-ways-ricoh-gr-iiix-helped-me-love-photography-again-bryce-canyon-tree-pano.jpg

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo