Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2023, 03:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax MX-1 resets when battery is swapped

Hi guys,

I've had the camera from new (and posted quite a bit back in the day), regrettably its sat in the drawer and not been used.

Took it out the other day and charged battery, took some images and all was okay. Connected to Lightroom and it froze after 10 images or so.

Swapped battery to a spare, had to input date/time and all my shooting settings.

Settings clears every time I take the battery out.

I'm guessing the camera has an inbuilt battery to store settings and that's depleted, has anybody encountered this?

01-23-2023, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

What you describe is not unusual on older cameras and is not exclusive to the MX-1, and it is depletion of an internal battery.

Try leaving it with a fully charged battery for a few days and see if it helps.

If not, I doubt the value of the camera is worth the cost of repair. Something that you'll just have to live with.

No explanation for it freezing, however.
01-23-2023, 05:48 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The internal battery is very easy replaceable. At the Dutch Pentax forum we (Jan and me) investigate this and found the proper part number of the internal battery and how to replace it. (need some soldering skills though )
I am on the road at the moment an can place a link this evening.

Last edited by Sakura; 01-23-2023 at 09:17 AM.
01-23-2023, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This same problem occurred with my K-r. I made the the mistake of storing it long term without a charged battery installed. In my case the settings reset to default each time I power off. Apparently the internal battery needs the parent battery to remain charged and to survive. Unfortunate.

01-23-2023, 09:12 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Link to the dutch pentax forum with several pictures of how to get the MX-1 open and how to replace the battery.
If needed I can translate some of te texts, but I think the pictures should be self explainable. Please take note of the different types of screws used in the camera.

https://pentaxian.eu/index.php/topic,2881.30.html

The battery type is the MS412FE-FL26E

Even when you do not want to replace the internal battery, it is wise to remove it anyway. The battery in my MX-1 was leaking but luckily didn't leak at the printed circuit board yet..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
VOG-L29  Photo 

Last edited by Sakura; 01-23-2023 at 12:43 PM.
01-23-2023, 02:34 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks very much guys, really appreciate it

---------- Post added 01-23-23 at 09:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
Link to the dutch pentax forum with several pictures of how to get the MX-1 open and how to replace the battery.
If needed I can translate some of te texts, but I think the pictures should be self explainable. Please take note of the different types of screws used in the camera.

https://pentaxian.eu/index.php/topic,2881.30.html

The battery type is the MS412FE-FL26E

Even when you do not want to replace the internal battery, it is wise to remove it anyway. The battery in my MX-1 was leaking but luckily didn't leak at the printed circuit board yet..
Fantastic, thank you
01-27-2023, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooey Quote
Thanks very much guys, really appreciate it

---------- Post added 01-23-23 at 09:44 PM ----------

Fantastic, thank you
You're welcome. It looks like Jan and me were the first Pentaxians who dove into this problem (coudn't find anything about it on the web). And of course we love to share it with our fellow Pentaxians.

02-09-2024, 03:57 AM   #8

Hi gang,

new to the MX-1 ownership clup - what a little gem. But, having the same issue, and for love nor money, can't get into the dutch forum there, does anyone have the time, patience or simply ability to help me out with the instructions, photos, anything to have a go at this fix.

I have another issue with the ol' "please pop-up the flash" screen, but that will be a post for another thread methinks.