Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great choice on the camera . I have the f20 myself and it's a gem. One question though, why didn't you like the f20? It's almost identical to the f30. The main differences are a slightly lower resolution on the lcd (which is still great), and has only automatic controls (the f30 has "full" manual controls which I don't think your fiancee will bother using ).

The Fuji s6000fd/6500fd is also a great bridge camera. It uses the same sensor as the f20/30, with a 28-300mm lens (35mm equiv).

05-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
One question though, why didn't you like the f20? It's almost identical to the f30. The main differences are a slightly lower resolution on the lcd (which is still great), and has only automatic controls (the f30 has "full" manual controls which I don't think your fiancee will bother using ).
Another major difference is the battery. F30's long battery life is really great, I am comfortable of taking the F30 for a short trip without a charger or second battery. You cannot do that with F20. And "slightly lower resolution on the LCD" is a bit of an understatement It only has just above half the resolution of that for F30.
05-10-2007, 03:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have an F11 and like it a lot. Here's an iso 1600 shot:

05-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would she live with the Pentax DS/DL/K100D witha 40mm pancake on it? That lens doesn't stick out past the flash overhang. Kills any P&S at high ISO. Just a thought.
thanks
barondla

05-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Would she live with the Pentax DS/DL/K100D witha 40mm pancake on it? That lens doesn't stick out past the flash overhang. Kills any P&S at high ISO. Just a thought.
thanks
barondla
The pancakes are cool, but primes. When people look for p/s cameras, generally they like at least some zoom range since you can't change the lens at all. It would certainly "kill" a p/s at any iso though.
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I tooam looking for a new p&s camera. I've been reading reviews and reports till my head spins and the conclusion I've come to is that the only P&S really worth having is th Fuji F31fd and would'nt you know, it's not in production any more. It's successers the F40 and the F50 although very good little cameras just do not seem to have the image quality or the low light cappability that the F31fd had. Although there are many fairly good p&s cameras out there in my opinion none have equalled the F31fd except the Canon G7,G9 and they're a little too big and heavy. I have my name on a list waiting for a refurbished F31 but I would still prefer a new one and really would appreciate being notified of any dealer any where who still has one in stock. I guess I have'nt really been helpful in your quest but can't help wondering why you did'nt buy the F31fd when you say you had one in your hands, oh well I suppose you had your reasons. Anyway, good luck in your search. ken
12-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #22
Inactive Account

You all should really look at the A30 again, of course there is an even newer one out there A50 i think, but pop photo made the A30 its top sub compact this year. I have one and it is an excellent camera. It does use a lot of battery, but I can get between 125 and 150 shots out of it per charge, so carry an extra battery if you need more, there cheap.

12-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #23
and
Veteran Member

I would go with fuji because the IQ and ISO noise performance is just so good. the f30/f40/f50 series should be good.

other p&s I find interesting is the panasonic lx2 because of the wide option and stabalizer and raw, but the sensor is not up to it... the canon g9 is also interesting because of raw and hot shoe, but also too noisy...
12-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #24
Forum Member

i've boiled it down to the pentax A30, Fuji F50fd, Panasonic TZ3, and the Panasonic FX12. I would like something that shoots in low light situations. Which of these would you recommend or is there another p&s i should look at?
12-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kentax Quote
i've boiled it down to the pentax A30, Fuji F50fd, Panasonic TZ3, and the Panasonic FX12. I would like something that shoots in low light situations. Which of these would you recommend or is there another p&s i should look at?
As much as I love my old Panasonic cameras, I'm not sure I'd go with Panasonic if you need low light performance. Although my trusty Panasonic fx01 does ok at night, that camera has a different processing engine and less mp than the current offerings from Panasonic. I really don't like the sacrifice of detail that the new Panasonic engine delivers. The smearing of details to cover up noise in camera is just ugly to me. But I wouldn't give up my fz30, lx1 or fx01.

I have shot with a fuji f20, and only for a week or so to make sure everything was ok before sending it in to become an IR only camera. But it seemed to do well in low light. It seems folks for the most part recommend the fuji cameras for low light and the Panasonics for good light. The panasonics will beat fuji in good light, but fuji will beat Panasonic in low light. I haven't looked at the new fx12, that would be an interesting camera to check out.

Whatever you decide, let us know here and how you feel about your purchase.
thanks!
12-31-2007, 05:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I have a Fuji S5200. It is a great little cam. I am thinking of selling it though for money toward the new Pentax.
01-01-2008, 01:23 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kentax Quote

If you dont mind a larger camera, look at the panasonic fz-18, wide angle lens and 18X zoom, I have one of those also, they are a tad more expensive than the others but I love mine, the A30 now is relagated to digiscoping.
01-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #28
Forum Member

thanks for the suggestions. They look like great cameras, but i'm looking for something that can fit into my pockets. I'm leaning heavily towards the Fujifilm F40FD at the moment. Looks like I can acquire one for $126 after rebate. I'll post my opinion when i receive it.
01-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I know you don't want to consider "Canon crap" but we moved over to a Canon IXUS 950 IS from a Pentax A20 for my wife's P&S. The pentax generally produced excellent sharp pictures but proved unusable in bright sunlight - you just couldn't see what was on the LCD screen. After that we wanted one that had a viewfinder in addition to the screen as the ones without all seemed to suffer from the same problem - didn't trust that any of their anti-glare screen talk would overcome the problem. We found that there were very few P&Ss with a viewfinder, but, after reading a lot of reviews, settled on the IXUS 950 IS which seemed to have good write ups. Only had it for a couple of months but so far it seems good. Haven't really tested it in low light yet though.

Paul
01-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

We have a Canon IXUS 75, Sony Cybershot T20 and a Panasonic FZ5.
The IXUS and Sony fit in a small pocket. The IXUS we bought with a UW housing for taking it with us underwater.

The FZ5 is a real gem, very wide zoom range. Fits in a small bag.
The shake reduction works extremely well. Very sharp lens!
The now available FZ18 is even better, this is my next P&S camera.

- Bert