Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2007, 01:46 AM   #1

S5i woe

I've had a Pentax S5i for about 18 months - its been great - its out of warranty now tho

I recently decided to buy a couple of extra NP-40 batteries for it, and I already have a bunch of SD cards. Before I got a chance to use the new batteries, a fault developed on the S5i.

Basically, the SD card does not seem to engage. The camera gives an error for the card. If I open the lid and press it in slightly, the camera detects the card and its fine, so it seems like a contact issue with the card or maybe between the camera and the card housing.

The shop where I bought it said something like "you can pay 100 pounds for a person to take a look at it - repair could cost anything, probably not economic etc".

Does anyone have any advice other than binning it and getting a new camera?

03-22-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Perhaps contacts are simply dirty? Try first blowing the card compartment with compressed air. Clean contacts on your cards as well (with alcohol). That may help. Let us know, I have several other ideas.
04-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you trash it, trash it my way. To me, it is worth fixing, just for the reason that current Pentax p&s cameras don't have optical viewfinders.
04-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Halloooo... If you're trashing it... can I have the little screws that have fallen out of mine? God knows how it's staying together! I think my battery is dying a bit.. maybe I could buy those off you too.

Surely you could buy something very similar to the S5i for not a lot of money...

The viewfinder user... do you really use it!? Why, I'd be interested. Cos apart from the professional look of looking through a viewfinder I can't see why you'd want to... I think all SLRs will have Live View soon.. the new pro canon does already and the olympus slrs have me very interested.

04-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
The viewfinder user... do you really use it!? Why, I'd be interested. Cos apart from the professional look of looking through a viewfinder I can't see why you'd want to... I think all SLRs will have Live View soon.. the new pro canon does already and the olympus slrs have me very interested.
Two words: battery life.
04-25-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
Two more words: bright daylight.
04-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

And two more: no lag.
04-26-2007, 03:16 AM   #8
Inactive Account

oh! never looked through the viewfinder on the S5i... figured it would be like peering through a keyhole... but I'll give it a go next time I use the camera!