Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My back-up is my Sony Ericsson K800i... I chose this phone just for that purpose, to serve as a p&s... 3.2 MP of pure muscle!

06-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm, I have 2 P&S digitals. One El Cheapo I take when i wade fish for smallmouth bass, can't even remember what brand it is, Fixed focal length lens, no real controls, but cheap enough that I'm not worried about dropping it in the river, lol. Also have a Minolta DiMage S404 that i bought in 2002, paid more for it than i did for my K110D!! Takes great pics in good light, but useless in low light < impossible to focus > Here's one taken with the Minolta.
Attached Images

06-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cruiserlan2000 Quote
just curious and would like to get people's opinion. to those who owned K10 or K100, what's your back-up P&S if ever you have one? i know that sometimes places you're going to dictates the kind of camera you're going to bring. if it's a friend's party i wouldn't imagine myself bringing my K100 with the 0-300 attached to it. but if the party's in a park then i will. do you always carry your dslr everywhere you go. just wondering........

thanks,
crusierlan2000
Canon Powershot A80 - packed it around to hikes, football games, boat trips, you name it. Takes good pics, durable, swivel screen, AA batts., and fits in a pocket. Now my son keeps borrowing it...
06-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #64
Forum Member

Coolpix P1. Good little "pocket cam" to use while on public transport (where I keep the DSLR in my backpack).

The Coolpix P5000 looks interesting (Yay Viewfinder!!), but after seeing the examples from the Panasonics and Fuji's....I wonder.

06-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #65
Veteran Member

My backup for the K10D is a second K10D.

However, for places where a DSLR might attract to much, I am looking for a P&S and am hesitating between a Fuji F30/31/40. The upcoming Sigma DP1 might also be an option, should it once come out.
07-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #66
Pentaxian

I do a lot of outdoorsy stuff, so my backup is The Pentax Optio W-10. If you check the canoeing message board I go to, kayakers like them for their ability to do underwater video at rolling technique clinics, because you can have them out in the boat all the time, no need to worry about spray or rain. They fit into the little pocket on your life jacket. A lot of other waterproof options are discussed, a lot of Pentax W series cameras are purchased, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by normhead; 07-01-2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Typo
07-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I use a canon sd630, I really like the large screen and the fact that it takes SD cards so I don't need multiple types of cards.

It takes pretty good pictures, and works perfectly for a little pocket camera when i cant bring my k100d

07-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #68

A Nikon Coolpix L5 is my p&s. Compared to the DSLRs it's definitely a step down, but will do if necessary (I'm more likely to take it out on the ski slopes... but in all honesty I have little hesitation in taking a DSLR out skiing). I bought it specifically because I wanted a P&S and didn't want to spend over $AUD300 on it (approx $US250), which meant it had to take the same SD cards as my Pentaxes.

My istDS is my K10D backup.
07-08-2007, 07:18 AM   #69

Fuji F30 for digital.

Contax T3, Konica Hexar, Oly XA and Voigtländer Vitessa for film. Though the VV is hardly a P&S . . .
07-11-2007, 05:07 AM   #70

I've got an Optio 750Z. It takes pretty goods pics and in low light not too noisy either. My main complaint I first noticed when I went back to it after first getting my K10D is how long it takes to actually take a photograph! That said, it has a bunch of handy features including video, audio, light metering mode, 3D and all the usual Av, Tv modes etc. All in all pretty pleased with it. But by far its best feature is the massive 5x zoom. Most P&Ss are 3x and it really makes a difference. To get the zoom reach on 3x zoom you need to delve into the horribly world of digital zoom, whilst I have actually turned the digital zoom off since the optical zoom has a long enough range to eliminate the need for it...
07-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Panasonic DMC-LX1

Pros:
Optical image stabilization in a small package, present on ALL Panasonic cameras.
Smallest camera I have seen so far that can shoot RAW
Lots of features
Employees of my company get a discount on Panny products.

Cons:
Noisy sensor
Extremely weak onboard flash

Of course, both cons are common to most P&S cameras...
07-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #72
Forum Member

I have an olympus mini digital 4mp, its very small, and came with a 256mb card 2 rechargeable batteries a leather case and neck strap, all for only £120, it takes ok pics but the focusing in low light situations is poor. Has a good range of scene modes, and shoots quick time movies. It is mostly used by my kids.
I had a pentax optio s 50 a while ago, but it was forever going wrong, usually sorted out by removing the batteries for about 10 seconds but by then I had missed the shot most of the time, so I sold it on.
07-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #73

Main: K10D

Backup SLR: *ist DL

Backup P&S: Olympus SW725

Went thru the Stylus 710 (sold), 1000 (water damage), and the FE200 (sold) and finally decided i needed something waterproof haha
07-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Main Backup. Fuji S6000fd.

Cool Features:
- Best high ISO performance in class (Same sensor as the F30 and F31)
- Good walk around lens (since it's stuck on there; 28-300mm equiv fov, f/2.8-4.5)
- Manual Zoom ring is awesome
- can shoot raw (even though shot to shot raw is 5s...)
- can take 58mm filters
- Macro and Super Macro (Super Macro has a minimum focus of 1cm)

It looks like a DSLR tho, and is only slightly smaller (though a lot lighter) than my K10D. Here's a sample from the camera.

For times when I need an ultra compact (very easy to pocket around), I use a Casio EX-Z850. Good manual controls, easy to use, large LCD in the back. Overall, it's a stylish decent camera. Metal shell makes it look classier and sturdier than your typical p&s.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
My backup for the K10D is a second K10D.

However, for places where a DSLR might attract to much, I am looking for a P&S and am hesitating between a Fuji F30/31/40. The upcoming Sigma DP1 might also be an option, should it once come out.
F30 or F31fd are awesome since they still give you so much control over your shot. The SuperCCD is great for a P&S (as everyone else has mentioned as well). The F31fd is slightly smaller than the F30, but essentially the same camera.
07-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Canon S3 IS. I replaced my A620 (which replaced an A95) a month or so ago because the A620 had a relatively limited FL (35-105 equivalent). Now I have 36-632, which is at least useful on the telphoto end.

The S3 IS has pretty poor high ISO performance (400 is "eh", and 800 is useless), but I bought it as a daylight camera. Also has a horrendously placed ISO button on the back which accidently gets pushed by my thumb or nose about every 5 shots. I'm working on a guard or cover for that. Grainy EVF and nearly unviewable LCD in sunlight, but I can live with that. Once I fix that damn ISO button it will be much better.

I keep it in my car for "happenstance" occasions. Haven't had one of those yet, however.