Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #151

I don't have one but if i ever need one it will be my parents Fujifilm S5600.

05-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #152

Photos: Gallery
Sony DSC F717. Our first digital camera, or more like digital lens with a body. Uses a Carl Zeiss lens. Getting harder to find the old memory sticks and just couldn't get the macros I wanted. Got some decent shots with it though. Took this one of this maple seed standing up just like this in the dirt using it.
Arvin

06-20-2008, 05:39 AM   #153
Inactive Account

I carry a Nikon coolpix 800 in the truck and a Fujifilm Finepix s800 (SLR like) in my camera pack with my K200D.
Don't use the coolpix much anymore though.

Les
06-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #154
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 that I use in that capacity.

06-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just added a Fuji s100fs to my P&S Stable. I also a Fuji s9100 and a Canon G9
06-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #156
Veteran Member

Mine is a Nikon Coolpix 2100 that I've passed on to my husband. It's only 2MP, but in the VGA setting, it's great for shooting pics for Fleabay and the Marketplace without having to resize them smaller.

I've been debating getting another P&S that has RAW capability or another smaller Pentax body. If I go with the P&S, it would most likely be:
Panasonic | Lumix DMC-LX2 Digital Camera (Black) | DMC-LX2K
The price is right and it's got that nice Leica lens.

If I were to go with another Pentax body, I would consider either the K200, K100 super, or picking up another DS or DS2 and keeping a small lens on it most of the time (ie the DA35). I'd be perfectly fine with the DS, except that it wouldn't work with the HSM lenses, should I decide to get one eventually (of course, I could simply use my non-HSM lenses with it in that case). Besides being small enough to carry around everyday, it would also serve me well in travelling, along with the K10D, so I don't have to change lenses as much.

Heather
06-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Mine is a Nikon Coolpix 2100 that I've passed on to my husband. It's only 2MP, but in the VGA setting, it's great for shooting pics for Fleabay and the Marketplace without having to resize them smaller.

I've been debating getting another P&S that has RAW capability or another smaller Pentax body. If I go with the P&S, it would most likely be:
Panasonic | Lumix DMC-LX2 Digital Camera (Black) | DMC-LX2K
The price is right and it's got that nice Leica lens.

If I were to go with another Pentax body, I would consider either the K200, K100 super, or picking up another DS or DS2 and keeping a small lens on it most of the time (ie the DA35). I'd be perfectly fine with the DS, except that it wouldn't work with the HSM lenses, should I decide to get one eventually (of course, I could simply use my non-HSM lenses with it in that case). Besides being small enough to carry around everyday, it would also serve me well in travelling, along with the K10D, so I don't have to change lenses as much.

Heather
I looked at that one also, but if thats the case, save a little more and go for the G9

06-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #158
Veteran Member

I actually had a G7 for about a year and I liked it a lot, except for the fact that it didn't shoot in RAW format. That, plus an overwhelming desire to get a K10D led me to sell it. Actually, depending on where you get it, the G9 isn't more than $100 over the Panansonic. Another option I've thought of going with is to pick up a used G6 from KEH, which would be even cheaper than the Panasonic (around $300), plus I still have a 1GB CF card left over from my Fuji s602z. It is less MP than the K10D (7.1), but it's a backup camera and I don't expect to be making poster-sized prints.

Heather
06-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #159
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Main Camera: K10D
Backup: K100D
"Pocket" Camera: Cannon - Don't remember the model number, but it is a 5MP and fits easily in my shirt pocket!
06-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Back up? I sometimes think its my main camera, since its used most of the time. My trusty Pentax Wpi. Always handy, always ready and my only one out when its rainy, murky, muddy, salty, dusty, sandy.... you get the picture.

RB
06-21-2008, 03:33 AM   #161
Veteran Member

I've just added the Fuji E900 to my collection as a point and shoot.

Actually, this is a tip for all those out there on the outlook for the Canon G9 or Pany LX2. The lens is a 32-130 that is rasor sharp, and the picture quality simply amazing. Noise is only noticable at 400 ISO and up, but still useable. Camera is very fast and it shoots RAW (but then you need big memory cards.) Speeking of which, my only gripe with this camera is that it uses xD cards, so that adds a thirds type (next to sd for my Optio 43WR and CF for my ist D. ) But hey, memory is cheap nowadays. The other thing is that it exhibits quite some CA at wide angle, but it is easily corrected in LR. You can pick a new E900 up on eBay for a price as low as $150. For that price and the images it delivers, I call it a G9/LX2/Ricoh GR killer...
06-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
I've just added the Fuji E900 to my collection as a point and shoot.

Actually, this is a tip for all those out there on the outlook for the Canon G9 or Pany LX2. The lens is a 32-130 that is rasor sharp, and the picture quality simply amazing. Noise is only noticable at 400 ISO and up, but still useable. Camera is very fast and it shoots RAW (but then you need big memory cards.) Speeking of which, my only gripe with this camera is that it uses xD cards, so that adds a thirds type (next to sd for my Optio 43WR and CF for my ist D. ) But hey, memory is cheap nowadays. The other thing is that it exhibits quite some CA at wide angle, but it is easily corrected in LR. You can pick a new E900 up on eBay for a price as low as $150. For that price and the images it delivers, I call it a G9/LX2/Ricoh GR killer...
While I am sure that the E900 is a fine camera, I do not see how you can say it is better than a G9? I have the Fuji s9100 and the s100fs top of the line Fuji P&S and those two Fuji's at best are on par with the G9. Noise wise the s100FS is leaps and bounds ahead of any P&S but at ISO 400 or below, the G9 more than holds its own.

Some HIGH ISO FUJI S100FS samples here.
Fuji S100fs - Fujifilm - Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) - Steves-digicams.com Forums
06-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #163
Veteran Member

I took a look at it and that Fuji E900 is definitely a contender. The price is most certainly right. Even if you add a couple of XD cards, it would still wind up being cheaper than any of the other options currently available.

Heather
06-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #164
AML

I have 2x Kodak DX7590's which i'll never part with. I also have a Kodak P880 which has seen little use since getting my DSLR. I'm actually thinking of the selling the P880 to fund a lens purchase.
06-22-2008, 04:10 AM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
While I am sure that the E900 is a fine camera, I do not see how you can say it is better than a G9? I have the Fuji s9100 and the s100fs top of the line Fuji P&S and those two Fuji's at best are on par with the G9. Noise wise the s100FS is leaps and bounds ahead of any P&S but at ISO 400 or below, the G9 more than holds its own.

Some HIGH ISO FUJI S100FS samples here.
Fuji S100fs - Fujifilm - Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) - Steves-digicams.com Forums
That is the problem: the G9 holds more than its own on ISO 400. The E900 holds more than its own all the way up to ISO 800. Don't forget it has the same sensor as the S9000, which has its inheritance from the sensor used in the now legendary F10/20/30 series. And, in fact: the sensor used in the S100FS is more or less the same (it is bigger but has also more pixels - you get some, you loose some.)
I only had the chance to use the G9 for a while, but from what I've seen, it's not up par.

Anyway, just the other day I did some test shots (like I said, I just had it a couple of weeks), and while it exhibits some noise at ISO 400, it is nowhere near a problem. At ISO 800 it exhibits quite some noise, but even then I find it to be very useable. Moreover: dynamic range is simply fabulous (for a point & shoot.)

Just a little example on ISO 400 (if it's good, then EXIF should be embedded):

And a 100% crop of the same image:

Spot the noise. There is some, but for me it's not an isue in any way, more so because the noise has a very filmlike grain appearance...