Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 05:40 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
* Where is the sealed body? I thought Pentax was to become the camera for the outdoors?
This is my biggest disappointment with the X70. It would have bee a great differentiator from the other bridges. Then again, sealing a telescoping lens like that is probably no mean feat.

QuoteQuote:
* Green Button. EVERY pentax should have this. P&S all the way to the top DSLR. Simple. efective. unique. If you never used it you will never understand.
From the pictures of the back I have seen (for instance, at X70 Super Zoom Digital Camera - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site), it does seem to have a green button (lorew-right corner). How it's actually used I have no idea.

03-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #32
Inactive Account

I'm trying to think when I'd use a 600~mm lens handheld, as this cam's targeted consumer would...
03-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I'm trying to think when I'd use a 600~mm lens handheld, as this cam's targeted consumer would...
I own the GREAT GREAT Panasonic FZ-30 and the 600 hand held works amazing.
its different on these small cameras.

the HD sounds nice
will we see this on the next Pentax SLR?
03-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
600mm equiv. Actual focal length is at around the 100mm mark. Add some image stabilization to it, and you've got yourself a neatly hand-holdable package.

03-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
This is my biggest disappointment with the X70. It would have bee a great differentiator from the other bridges. Then again, sealing a telescoping lens like that is probably no mean feat.
That's actually the *easy* part. You put a thread on the front of the body, you put a tube over the telescopey bits, you put a UV on the front of the tube, add O-rings, to be really sealed, add hood to keep stuff off the actual exposed glass, and Bob's your uncle.

It's what I do with my FZ-7, ...without even the O-rings, it's pretty OK. Very simple, and something they should have kept in later models.

As for HD or any kind of video on the next DSLR, I could care less. DSLRs make awkward video cameras anyway. I'd rather put a bridge or an actual hundred dollar video camera in my pocket. If it doesn't compromise anything important or cost any more, OK, you can put it on. But there's a reason video cameras never bothered to have optical finders and why a bridge camera just couldn't cover me for digital anyway.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-04-2009 at 05:21 PM.
03-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Hey, come to think of it, this X70 might mean one thing.... Lots of new activity on this subboard.
03-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It is really too bad it does not meet the real needs of a travel camera, to go ultra wide, and moderately long, as opposed to moderately wide and extremely long.

Although the 24 X zoom is bigger than most others, who is really going to use this at 624mm?

I admit 600MM F5 sounds interesting, but for a travel camera wider would be much better. 26mm is not wide enough,
It's extremely difficult to do wide angle well when you have a sensor that small. The wide side is already at 4mm.
03-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #38
Inactive Account

I bought the Fujj s8000fd and it's 18x zoom when it first came out in 2006 and didn't realize until I got in my hands, It can't take any kind of filter and the lens cap came off when it was fully extended. Did Pentax solve this "problem"?

Barry

03-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
It's extremely difficult to do wide angle well when you have a sensor that small. The wide side is already at 4mm.
It's strange to complain about 26 mm - AFAIK the X70 and similar brand new models from Olympus, Nikon and Kodak are the only "SLR-like" (that term is so misleading, the only SLR-like about these cameras is the looks) bridge cameras that extend to 26 mm. Even 28 mm is something that just recently showed up, 35-36mm used to be the norm. When I serviced my W10 this summer, I got a look at the W60, and the service engineer told me that it's recent developments in sensor technology that make the wide reach of the W60 with its small sensor possible: In earlier sensors the photosites were positioned deeper, so you would get too much corner light falloff, if I understood him right.
03-06-2009, 04:58 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Test shots from X70 look good!

These guys compared X70, P90 and S1500 at the PMA:

Pentax X70, Nikon P90 and Fujifilm S1500 Battle Royale with image samples - infoSync World

Their main complaint was that "the Pentax X70's menu system appeared to have been designed in the early 80's. It's the current Windows DOS of digital imaging LCD navigation"

But, the conclusion is very positive:

"We've got our bets placed on the Pentax X70, based on the exceptional image samples we snagged. The Nikon Coolpix P90 rocks the best design out of the lot, but the Fujifilm Finepix S1500's image quality gave the Nikon a run for its money. Official review units are right around the corner, so sit tight for the final results."
03-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
12 megapixel (4000x3000) on 1/2.33" sensor
24x zoom lens 26/2.8 -624/5.0 in 35mm equivalent (!)
shake reduction
11 fps continuous shooting at 2592 x 1944 pixels
AF is 9-point AF with switchable points, spot, auto, manual or "infinity-landscape"
metering is multi-segment, center-weighted or spot
±2EV (1/3EV steps) exposure compensation
shutter range: 1/4000 - 1/4s with 4s long exposure
self-timer, 2s delay timer, interval shooting and auto bracket
33.6MB built-in memory and SD card storage
HD movies with SR (1280 x 720 pixels)
programme, aperture-priority, shutter-priority and manual modes plus auto
face recognition for up to 32 faces (big party, what?)
auto sensitivity control, up to ISO 6400
2.7" LCD (230,000 dots)
electronic viewfinder
image ratio selectable from 4:3 (native), 3:2, 16:9 or 1:1
auto plus custom white balance
overexposure compensation
macro mode down to 1cm
"Digital Wide" function to composite a 20mm (35mm equivalent) image from two images
world-time clock
decorative photo frames
red-eye reduction
lithium-ion battery with 170 shot life
110.5 x 82.5 x 89.5 mm and 410g (loaded and ready)
This, on paper, is an impressive looking baby! Yes, the CCD appears small for 12mp, but Panasonic (with its FZ 28 superzoom) gets great use out of the same size sensor with 10mp--ISO to 400 is very good and 800 is not bad at all, with ISO 1600 still usable in smaller print range. Also, Panasonic shows us the size of the sensor is no longer the limiting factor it was once thought to be: the processing engine is more important now. The FZ 28, a camera this one will surely compete with, is virtually CA and distortion free in JPGs due to its awesome processor.

QuoteQuote:
Miserere:Robin, this is unavoidable in order to a) keep prices down, and most of all b) manage that huge zoom range.
Yes, I agree %100 with Miserere on this point. And believe me, there is a big market for this extraordinary zoom range which, with a 24 x zoom, Pentax now leads. Just ask Canon, Panasonic, Fuji, Sony or Olympus if you doubt there is a demand for this kind of range. And I disagree that 26mm is not wide enough--this is equal to 18mm on the Pentax crop DSLR for wide. Most consumers of P & S will be delighted to have this range and it equals or out-does the competition in this respect.

Hopefully, the camera will produce in reality, thus propelling the Pentax name upwards in the recognition battle and earning the company some well-needed profits. This could be a big step for Pentax leaving its virtually unknown status behind. I, for one, am excited about the product, and eagerly await the pics and reviews to see if it actually can duke it out with the heavy weights.

Up to this point, Pentax has not been known for any class-leading numbers, but with this camera they now have that distinction, so long as the camera can deliver. This could set the stage for Pentax to gain both the tangible and intangible resources needed to produce a FF model or class leading Crop DSLR. I am very excited about this move.

GO PENTAX!!!
03-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #42
Site Supporter

Advantage: Digital

And if you wait a year you should be able to pick one up for a hundred bucks!

Chris