Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2009, 04:56 AM   #1

Image display problem

Hi, I joined this site after I did a Google search for the error message my camera kept coming up with and saw someone had posted something similar 2 years ago about an A10. My camera is driving me a little bit mad now ! It's an Optio S10, and sometimes it will play back the pictures, sometimes it will just decide suddenly that it's not gonna do that any more, and says 'Camera cannot display this image and sound'. Sometimes it will go back to working again after a few of these, and sometimes it won't. If I bring the pictures up on the computer, the first one that came up with that message will be half picture, half grey, and the rest after that will be all grey.
It has a memory card, 8gb SD, which I can't really take pictures without because it's internal memory is tiny and fills up in no time at all. I read something on the previous thread about the card being the possible problem, and formatting the card ? I've no idea what that means, never mind how to do it !
It doesn't have anything in the manual about how to fix this problem and I've tried everything I can think of, tried every different mode, and it's still being temperamental. It's really annoying because you don't know until you go through your pics at the end and find that most of the ones you took have been lost
Anyone any ideas what I can do ? Any help greatly appreciated !

04-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Just a shot in the dark, but try a smaller card, perhaps go to a 2GB (not SDHC) card, preferably from one of the well known brands such as Sandisk. Sometimes cameras can be a little touchy about what's put into them.
04-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Optio S10 is limited to 2 gb. SD cards. Using an 8 gb. card could explain your problem. If it is like other Optio, you go in the "menu", then use the navigation pad to go to "set up", and the first line should be "format", so you format the card there. You should try to use cards that are 2 gb. or below to avoid problems.
04-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
magpie: If you go here Pentax Compact Camera Discussion - PentaxForums.com someone should be able to help you. This is the part of the forum which specializes in P & S models.

I'll bet, in a jiffy, a fellow owner of an Optio S10 will tell you how to format.

04-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Magpie: quick scan of the manual (downloaded from Pentax Support) gives some areas for you to look into.
  1. Instructions for formatting your SD card are found on page 168. Always delete images and format your card in the camera, not from your computer. All digital cameras are finicky about the way SD cards are formatted (which sets up an internal indexing system similar to a library index card file showing where the data that makes up an image is located on the card).
  2. Instructions for deleting images are found on page 131 of your manual
  3. Page 26 refers to the number of images that can be stored on a 512Mb card. At the time you bought your S10 large (8Gb) cards were exotic - I'm not even sure SDHC cards had been invented yet. flyer's idea to get yourself a 2Gb card is probably a good one - I just saw a Sandisk 2Gb at Walgreen's (USA pharmacy and notions chain) for $9.49. They are likely not too expensive in the UK.
  4. Store images you want to keep on a CD or PC, delete ALL the images from the card and Format it from time to time to keep the card fresh.

Here's a link to value cards on the Sandisk USA website Imaging Cards

Hope this all helps!

Last edited by monochrome; 04-05-2009 at 07:02 PM.