Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #16

Alex,

Can you zoom in or out while recording movie in x70?

Thanks.

04-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes you can, and it's quiet...

Alex
04-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Zooming whilst videoing, thats cool. I have that on my TZ7 but it does get a bit out of focus whilst the AF adjusts. Do you find that happens with the X70?

Also I've heard rumours that the X70 is a generic Chinese model which is essentially the same as the Nikon P90 and one of the Kodak models (I forget which one, a Zsomething), with some cosmetic and software differences. Have you, or has anyone else, heard this, or are able to confirm/deny? It probably doesn't matter in the long run, if the camera performs well, but I would like to know.

BTW any sample videos available? Love to see one, I'm awfully impressed with what you've done to promote this camera so far.
04-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The specs of the Kodak Z980 are very similar to the Pentax, but they are by no means identical cameras, although more than one of the new crop of 24X cameras might use the same lens. See the following link for a preliminary hands on comparison with the P90 (the X70 wins):

Pentax X70, Nikon P90 and Fujifilm S1500 Battle Royale with image samples - infoSync World

The layout of the X70 looks similar to that of the K series of DSLRs, and so should be easier to handle for those users than the other P&S "bridge" cameras.

The competition to watch, however is the Sony HX1 - it has some killer features.

Thanks for the postings, Alex. I like the HDRs - how did you do those?

Last edited by penolta; 04-13-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: added comment
04-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
HDR's

I set the camera in Aperature Priority mode at F8 for best depth of field and ISO 100, so the only variable would be the shutter speed. The X70 has the ability to shoot three shots in an exposure bracketed mode of -/+2EV, unlike most other P&S cameras that only have -/+1EV.

After the three exposures are shot ( -2EV, 0EV, +2EV), I import them into a program called Photomatix Pro from HDRSoft.com. The three shots are then combined, aligned and exposure balanced to produce a high dynamic range photo.

To see some more examples of HDR photos, check out the gallery at the hdrsoft.com website at: HDR Gallery for Photomatix users.

Alex
04-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
BTW any sample videos available? Love to see one, I'm awfully impressed with what you've done to promote this camera so far.
I have to make correction to what I said about being able to zoom in and out while recording movies....

You can, but it's not a true zoom...

The full zoom range 1x-24x can be used BUT only BEFORE recording... During recording, only a DIGITAL zoom is available and the amount of zoom available is dependent on the picture size. At the 1280x720 size, you can have a 5x-31x digital zoom range (dependent on the optical zoom setting), while at 320x240 and 640x480, only a 1x-5x digital zoom is available. Focusing will remain at the optical zoom setting, and will not refocus if you zoom in further digitally.

This is a disappointment because I know other cameras can use the optical zoom while recording. I think Pentax did what they did to avoid focusing and zoom motor noises in the recordings....

This really doesn't affect the overall performance of the camera, because I bought it for the still shots and not for any movies. To me, taking videos is a bonus and not a necessity. I have a dedicated video camera if I want to take movies...

Alex
04-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A Glaring Deficiency...

I forgot to mention that there is a glaring deficiency in one of the features of the X70.... no diopter adjustment in the EVF. To me, this is a serious omission on the part of Pentax. If you do not have 20/20 in your vision, you're not going to get a clear view through the viewfinder. People with presbyopia (old age eyes) will also have difficulty seeing through the viewfinder. It appears that Pentax made the attempt to have a focus-free diopter, but it doesn't work for all eyes.

Alex
04-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexM Quote
I forgot to mention that there is a glaring deficiency in one of the features of the X70.... no diopter adjustment in the EVF. To me, this is a serious omission on the part of Pentax. If you do not have 20/20 in your vision, you're not going to get a clear view through the viewfinder. People with presbyopia (old age eyes) will also have difficulty seeing through the viewfinder. It appears that Pentax made the attempt to have a focus-free diopter, but it doesn't work for all eyes.

Alex
OH! Damn! That is a definite dealbreaker for me. Back to the drawing board

04-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
OH! Damn! That is a definite dealbreaker for me. Back to the drawing board

I also have to be fair in saying that the focus free diopter does allow clear viewing for most eyes. Other than than that, it will appear to be slightly out of focus for the more presbyopic eyes. If you badly need reading glasses, you MAY have trouble. I'm not saying that you will. I am only stating this because another person told me that she had difficulty seeing clearly in the EVF.

Alex
04-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Alex thanks for your sample shots, I really want to buy this camera but I'm a bit dissapointed that it does not do raw, no filter thread and no lens hood that's my complaints, I would like to know if you think it is a good buy, I have 2 K20D's and I am fed up with the weight I have to carry around, it's the zoom I really want to buy it for and I need your opinion before I buy, thanks and regards,
Jack.
04-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jackitec Quote
Hi Alex thanks for your sample shots, I really want to buy this camera but I'm a bit dissapointed that it does not do raw, no filter thread and no lens hood that's my complaints, I would like to know if you think it is a good buy, I have 2 K20D's and I am fed up with the weight I have to carry around, it's the zoom I really want to buy it for and I need your opinion before I buy, thanks and regards,
Jack.

I also have two DSLRs (K10D & K20D) and you're right... they are a bit heavy to lug around all the time. I bought the X70 because of its lightweight design and good features. I didn't expect or demand RAW from this camera simply because it's not necessary for me to have to adjust the images.... it a point and shoot! If I want RAW, I'll use my DSLRs...

I think for what you get, it's a great buy. Sure it may not have GREAT features, but it's very comparable to others in the same price range. I like the idea of being able to do exposure bracketing in the -/+2EV range so good HDRs are available. The SR seems to be pretty effective even at long zoom...

Here are some more photos demonstrating the effectiveness of SR while shooting handheld long zoom photos.... this was taken during a windy day so I am also a bit surprised how well it did.... The long zoom shots of the far away houses will also have heat and wind variations in the atmosphere which accounts for the waviness in the outlines... This link also has access to the full sized pixel peeper 12MP versions for examination. Keeping the camera steady in a windstorm and maintaining clarity was a challenge. I did not use any support other than my own body for these shots. For the sake of simplicity, these shots were all in AutoPic mode.

Pentax X70 Zoom SR Test - a set on Flickr

Alex

Last edited by AlexM; 04-15-2009 at 01:43 PM.
04-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have K-serie DSLRs and the mode dial of the x70 and the general layout are so much like the K100D that the transition would be almost seamless, so I was looking forward to getting one for the long tele, but I held off because I could see no diopter adjustment in the online pictures, and you now have confirmed it. I am farsighted, so unless I can find one in a brick and mortar store (good luck on that!) to try I might have to go with the Nikon P90, which is a near clone (same specs, body and lens, probably from the same Chinese factory?) and has a rather obvious diopter wheel on the prism housing. Early reviews are favorable, but as a long time Nikonophobe I shrink from the prospect . . . . Maybe I will stick with my noisy Panasonic for a while longer.
04-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by penolta Quote
I have K-serie DSLRs and the mode dial of the x70 and the general layout are so much like the K100D that the transition would be almost seamless, so I was looking forward to getting one for the long tele, but I held off because I could see no diopter adjustment in the online pictures, and you now have confirmed it. I am farsighted, so unless I can find one in a brick and mortar store (good luck on that!) to try I might have to go with the Nikon P90, which is a near clone (same specs, body and lens, probably from the same Chinese factory?) and has a rather obvious diopter wheel on the prism housing. Early reviews are favorable, but as a long time Nikonophobe I shrink from the prospect . . . . Maybe I will stick with my noisy Panasonic for a while longer.
Where are you in CA? Fry's in Orange county has the x70 and the KM but I couldn't play with them, they all have dead batteries.
04-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In all fairness, the lack of a diopter adjustment could be a deal breaker for some people, however, it does not affect my using it. My vision has been laser corrected but I am still presbyopic... I still need reading glasses to see things up close. I can still see inside the viewfinder with a good clarity. Pentax apparently has made an attempt to have a focus free diopter. I am saying that it may affect SOME people who may not be able to see through the viewfinder due to difficult vision requirements. You will simply have to try it out beforehand before you purchase.

A required purchase will be extra batteries. Since the battery is so small (this is why the camera is small and lightweight - no AA batteries), extra batteries are a must. Stay away from the Pentax brand. They cost $52.99 for their 925mAH battery. I was able to buy TWO generic versions of the D-Li92 battery for $26 total including shipping from Hong Kong. These generics work perfectly, are high quality, and have a higher capacity (1000mAh) than the OEM versions.

Since I bought my batteries, the price has dropped... there is a power seller on eBay that is offering the same battery for $9.99 INCLUDING shipping... The only downside is because it's shipped from Hong Kong, it could take as long as two weeks before it arrives. I ordered mine on April 2, and got them on April 14. Both the seller and PayPal notified me at various stages of shipment letting me know where the package was...

New Battery For Pentax Optio X70 Megazoom DLI92 D-LI92 - eBay (item 260395010380 end time May-16-09 18:27:21 PDT)

Alex

Last edited by AlexM; 04-18-2009 at 10:37 AM.
04-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had done an online search and found that Fry's was the only place in OC that had the camera in stores. I stopped by today and found, as you did, their demo was not powered up. However I could see the EVF screen (w/o image) and could see the edges sharply, but the important thing was that the eyepoint is high enough to see the entire screen with my glasses on, so there may be no problem with sharpness - now if the eyecup were only rubberized so it wouldn't scratch the coatings on my glasses . . . . Some one on another forum has posted a bunch of P90 photos, and frankly I was not impressed. Alex's x70 shots are better. I like the tilt feature of the of the larger p90 screen, but image quality of the x70 is more important.