Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 05:33 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Pentax x70

Well I got the camera this weekend and had fun taking pictures. Now I need to learn how to use all the features. I have to use reading glasses (2.5 X magnification) and had no problem with the viewfinder . I was worried about not having one as I would rather use the viewfinder than the screeen. We were with friends who are Nikon diehards and they were impressed. Thanks Alex for all your assistance. Pentax should put you on the payroll.

04-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #32
Inactive Account

need vidoe on X70 from Europe decribing features

PENTAX X70

Last edited by Melinda; 04-20-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: just click on the Penax 70 underlined...and is neat video not need
04-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The video of the X70 is pretty good, but as I said in another post, the optical zoom does not work while recording. It only features digital zoom and that is not a good thing when it comes to sharpness. Tracking AF does not sharpen the digital zoom.

Alex
04-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Negative review posted on Amazon on the X70...Doesn't sound like the user gave it much of a shot...Here it is.

"I purchase the Pentax X70 to replace my Canon SX10 I had recently lost because I saw the Pentax had a 24X Zoom over the 0x for Canon. Ordered it from Amazon & quickly got it. This past Saturday I took it for test run in the field & was very disappointed. First the very light weight made it very hard to hold still for most pictures with a large amount of zoom. Since the extra zoom was my main reason for this purchase instead of replacing the Canon. I attached it to a tripod and took about 100 photos in total & reviewed them on my big screen TV. The quality of the picture was nothing compared to what I had gotten with my Canon. Most seemed very grainy and the stabilization did some good on the long shots but not as good as the Canon. I hope I can correct the pictures some what on my computer as I got some really great close ups of several birds including the very colorful Painted Bunting. In addition I did not like the operation of the zoom ---it appears as if it only wants to settle at preset lengths while trying to zoom out in short extensions. In my hands the camera felt cheap and the controls more difficult to use. I tried the seven picture quick shot & it worked great. I was happy to see a lens cover cord as I had almost lost my lens cover several times on my Canon. I was so bummed out on the quality & over all several hours of use I failed to even try the video. After my afternoon of testing I boxed it up and sent back to Amazon & ordered my Canon again-- Their is just no comparison in the two and the Canon was even a bit better on the price. Oh-- I did not real notice the difference between the 20X zoom of my Canon & the 24X of this Pentax, both max zoom's seemed to achieve almost the same result. My recommend as a true amateur is to not even consider the Pentax X70. Can't wait to get the new Canon back on board."

04-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Camera Comparison of Features

DP Review has camera comparison feature on their site that allows you to see the specifications of comparable cameras side-by-side so you can see which one is better suited for your tastes.

The cameras I chose to compare all have similar capabilities and include the Pentax X70, the Nikon P90, the Panasonic FZ28, and the Sony HX-1.

The major differences in the cameras would be sensor size and optical zoom...

Pentax X70 and Nikon P90 - 12MP and 24x optical zoom
Panasonic FZ28 - 10MP and 18x optical zoom
Sony HX-1 - 9.1MP and 20x optical zoom

Please note that the specifications listed are compiled by DP Review and may not be complete or up to date. It is interesting to see how the different cameras line up...

Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 4 cameras: Digital Photography Review

Alex
04-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Yes it looks great ,in the Sydney paper today its advertised in at AU$599 very competitive

cheers
04-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexM Quote
DP Review has camera comparison feature on their site that allows you to see the specifications of comparable cameras side-by-side so you can see which one is better suited for your tastes.

The cameras I chose to compare all have similar capabilities and include the Pentax X70, the Nikon P90, the Panasonic FZ28, and the Sony HX-1.

The major differences in the cameras would be sensor size and optical zoom...

Pentax X70 and Nikon P90 - 12MP and 24x optical zoom
Panasonic FZ28 - 10MP and 18x optical zoom
Sony HX-1 - 9.1MP and 20x optical zoom

Please note that the specifications listed are compiled by DP Review and may not be complete or up to date. It is interesting to see how the different cameras line up...

Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 4 cameras: Digital Photography Review

Alex

According to Pentax website, the x70 can macro focus at 1cm, not 10cm.

04-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chocolar Quote
According to Pentax website, the x70 can macro focus at 1cm, not 10cm.
Even better close and crisp

cheers
04-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexM Quote
I also have to be fair in saying that the focus free diopter does allow clear viewing for most eyes. Other than than that, it will appear to be slightly out of focus for the more presbyopic eyes. If you badly need reading glasses, you MAY have trouble. I'm not saying that you will. I am only stating this because another person told me that she had difficulty seeing clearly in the EVF.

Alex
Might have to go have a look through the viewfinder. I am shortsighted but as aging takes its toll, am on the way to longsightedness. I have other issues as well because of diabetes. I usually find that I have to set the diopter on an extreme setting to be able to see properly.

Thanks for the further info, Alex. I have my heart set on another bridge camera, and am all at sixes and sevens about which one to get (so bought a Panasonic TZ7 in the meantime)... this seems like it would be excellent... just gotta go look.
04-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More Samples

I have taken some more sample shots and posted them on Flickr, including a short 40 second 640x480 video demonstrating the video image stabilization of the X70.

Pentax X70 - Olvera St. - Union Station - Los Angeles - a set on Flickr

Alex
04-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #41

Convinced me!

Alex,

Your unwavering enthusiasm and promotion of the X70 convinced me to return a long waited on, Pana. LX3 to the store and am now waiting on my X70. Thank you for your time and effort and Pentax should send you a check for being their #1 ambassador!!!
04-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

Alex
05-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #43

I saw several comments about the need for additional batteries. I currently have the Optio555, which uses a LI-Ion battery, and it has great battery life. When I'm on vacation I normally charge the camera battery each night and I've never had a problem. Just how good/bad is the battery life of the X70? Will it make it through a standard day of vacation sightseeing?
05-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #44
emr

I was looking for info on the video properties of this cam. A Pentax website mentioned 1280 x 720 resolution but didn't get any further in details. According to a review it's only 15fps at that resolution and 30fps for lower resolutions. Is that really the case? How does the 15fps video look then? Can you see the low fps? I hope it doesn't look like films from silent era.
05-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I was looking for info on the video properties of this cam. A Pentax website mentioned 1280 x 720 resolution but didn't get any further in details. According to a review it's only 15fps at that resolution and 30fps for lower resolutions. Is that really the case? How does the 15fps video look then? Can you see the low fps? I hope it doesn't look like films from silent era.
Here is a sample of the 1280x720x15fps video mode.... it's just a few seconds long but it will give you the info that you need.... the video quality is good, but choppy when you pan, as it is to be expected at that frame rate.

1280x720x15fps video on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Click on the HD button in the video window to see full resolution version.

I'm seeing an issue in the conversion that Flickr creates when it converts the AVI into Flash... frames are lost during panning and the lateral moving is very choppy. I may have to find a video sharing site that does not convert AVI into flash in order to see the unaltered video.

A lower resolution video is here.... 40 second video of a dancer at Olvera Street in Los Angeles, at 640x480x30fps... a thought has occurred to me that if panning appears choppy, it could be that the image stabilization system may be trying to lock onto a scene, holds onto it for as long as it can within its range, then jump to the next position, which results in slight choppiness..... I may have to see the difference with the stabilization system off.

Aztec Dancer on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here are some samples at 848x480x30fps with SR turned on and also off...

SR off
848x480x30fps SR off on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

SR on
848x480x30fps SR on on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMHO, it appears that SR is useful only if you're going to be holding the camera steady at a subject who is moving very little or if you're zoomed in, otherwise, if you're going to be doing any panning, SR should be off for smoother viewing with less choppiness. This is typical of a video camera that offers image stabilization. I used to notice lateral choppiness when I used to pan side to side on my video camera, especially at slow pan speeds. This would explain it.

Alex

Last edited by AlexM; 05-03-2009 at 12:14 PM.