Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
X70 holding its own but sharing some features with others.

Pop Photo.com has the X70 on the 10 camera bargains list, which is good. As I was reading over the other cameras on the list, I saw that the Nikon P90 is on there, we already new about the similarities between the two cameras but I was not aware of the Kodak Z980. I don't know how it compares size wise, but it has the same 12MP sensor and 24X, 26-624mm f/2.8-5 zoom but this is where it gets interesting. It has a 3 inch screen, a hotshoe. COMES WITH a screw on vert grip with a shutter button AND shoots 720p HD video in H.264 format.

04-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does anyone who has an X70 see if there is a screw hole on the bottom of that thing. I'd love to have a grip on that little guy. My big'ol mittens just dwarf small cameras.
04-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And the Kodak shoots in RAW, does the X70 do RAW?
04-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
And the Kodak shoots in RAW, does the X70 do RAW?
Sorry, no RAW capability.

Bill

04-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I see all you guys who have DSLRs, and you ask if the point and shoot from Pentax has RAW? Just because Kodak sticks its neck out there and adds all these features doesn't make it a super camera.

Steve's Digicams made this comment about the Z980's RAW feature:

"The Z980 also offers a RAW image format. When using this mode, the camera slows down considerably. It takes about 7 seconds for the camera to process a single frame. The burst modes are not available when using this option. All of our tests were completed using a OCZ Class 6 4GB SDHC memory card, program mode, ISO auto, flash off, quickview off, and all other settings on the factory defaults unless otherwise noted. Times may vary depending on lighting conditions, camera settings, media, etc."

Steve's Digicams thought it was a nice camera, however, it has extremely slow red-eye reduction pre-flash and poor high ISO performance.

Steves Digicams - Kodak EasyShare Z980 - Hands on Review

As far as the P90 and X70 is concerned, infosyncworld.com found that the P90 couldn't hold a candle to the X70's image quality.

Pentax X70, Nikon P90 and Fujifilm S1500 Battle Royale with image samples - infoSync World

Alex
04-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexM Quote
I see all you guys who have DSLRs, and you ask if the point and shoot from Pentax has RAW? Just because Kodak sticks its neck out there and adds all these features doesn't make it a super camera.

Steve's Digicams made this comment about the Z980's RAW feature:

"The Z980 also offers a RAW image format. When using this mode, the camera slows down considerably. It takes about 7 seconds for the camera to process a single frame. The burst modes are not available when using this option. All of our tests were completed using a OCZ Class 6 4GB SDHC memory card, program mode, ISO auto, flash off, quickview off, and all other settings on the factory defaults unless otherwise noted. Times may vary depending on lighting conditions, camera settings, media, etc."

Steve's Digicams thought it was a nice camera, however, it has extremely slow red-eye reduction pre-flash and poor high ISO performance.

Steves Digicams - Kodak EasyShare Z980 - Hands on Review

As far as the P90 and X70 is concerned, infosyncworld.com found that the P90 couldn't hold a candle to the X70's image quality.

Pentax X70, Nikon P90 and Fujifilm S1500 Battle Royale with image samples - infoSync World

Alex
Thanks for the info
04-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone who has an X70 see if there is a screw hole on the bottom of that thing. I'd love to have a grip on that little guy. My big'ol mittens just dwarf small cameras.
Hey, by the way, Buddha (I presume there is a tripod mount on the X70, the usual question used to be 'is it metal or plastic' with this type of camera,) I have a really nice bridge camera grip solution that you might like if you can find one... Let me see if I have a photo up...

Here's my little friend:

What's on the bottom there is a Bogen/Manfrotto 'Mini Flex-head,' ... made for another purpose, (I wouldn't try taking the original purpose of it very far with a plastic camera) but it makes a wonderful grip for a bridge. For horizontals at eye level, you get a little something to add a little weight and a place where you can prop the thing, held SLR fashion: for verticals, you can hook your thumb around there and cradle the lens, (much less precarious/unsteady) and if you use the LCD for shooting or reviewing, you can hold the camera by that at a lot of angles. On a tripod or monopod, you can sort of use it for what it's made for: it's a little flexible, so you can make small corrections just by bending.

Works pretty nice.
04-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

COMES WITH a screw on vert grip with a shutter button
as in the tripod mount screw? Don't all cameras have that?

04-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #9
emr

BJ, I got interested in this cam and found this:

Pentax X70 First Impressions Digital Camera Review - Pentax Point and Shoot and Non-DSLR - Digital Camera Reviews, Ratings of Digital Cameras & Comparisons of Popular Cameras - DigitalCameraInfo.com

QuoteQuote:
Underneath the X70 is a tripod mount, and the door to the battery and memory card compartment. The tripod mount is camera-centered, though we would have preferred it to be lens-centered, because if you're using a tripod while zoomed in at the maximum 24x, having your center of rotation based around the lens makes framing slightly easier.
05-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kodak can cram all the features they want into their cameras, but all the images I've ever seen from any of them have been of very poor quality.
05-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Kodak can cram all the features they want into their cameras, but all the images I've ever seen from any of them have been of very poor quality.
I definitely agree with you... it appears that some reviewers believe that the X70 has the best image quality among the comparable cameras...

Alex