Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon SX 110 IS vs. Pentax Optio A40

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you who have handled and A40 and an SX 110 IS could tell me which camera you think is superior. I know the details; higher pixel count on the Pentax, bigger zoom on the Canon, yadda yadda. But I want to know what you think of how they perform in the real world. The most important things to me are image quality and manual control. Any advice would be appreciated!

I think I should also add that I *love* my Pentax DSLR, Film SLRs, and even my one film P&S, but I've heard that the point and shoot digitals from Pentax aren't so hot. Is that true?

05-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Anybody Anybody?
05-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Anybody Anybody?
Have a bit of patience, this section isn't the most active on the forum.
While you're waiting, check out some reviews.
05-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I have the Pentax A40. It is a joy to use and impeccable images from such a small camera. I don't know about the S110 but the compact camera we use at work is a Canon, I don't the particular model but it is not as friendly user as the Pentax. As to the images, The Pentax colors are more pleasing to look at, not too over sharpen but preserving more details. Below are 2 shots my daughter took on her trip to Ottawa. Straight from the camera, no PP. The upload to the site won't do justice to real shots.

05-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Dom

The Canon does have CHDK on it side

CHDK Wiki
05-06-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
The Canon does have CHDK on it side

CHDK Wiki
That's pretty cool...a camera you can modify for additional functionality with a firmware update is high up there on the scale.

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
I have the Pentax A40. It is a joy to use and impeccable images from such a small camera. I don't know about the S110 but the compact camera we use at work is a Canon, I don't the particular model but it is not as friendly user as the Pentax. As to the images, The Pentax colors are more pleasing to look at, not too over sharpen but preserving more details. Below are 2 shots my daughter took on her trip to Ottawa. Straight from the camera, no PP. The upload to the site won't do justice to real shots.

Snip

Snip
Those pictures are beautiful! I certainly have no reservations about Image Quality on the A40 now. I'm still curious, how easy is it to manually control the Optio? The Canon SX110 IS i played with drops into manual mode very easily.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Have a bit of patience, this section isn't the most active on the forum.
While you're waiting, check out some reviews.
Believe it or not, I had read some before posting. Sorry for the impatience, I've been spoiled by the DSLR forums and other websites I frequent where responses are essentially instantaneous.
05-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
That's pretty cool...a camera you can modify for additional functionality with a firmware update is high up there on the scale.
I've got a PowerShot A570 IS. The geeks over at CHDK have just modded CHDK to give an exposure of 2048 seconds, thats over half an hours. The only problem is it's noisy as hell, with amp glow all over the place.

The SX110 in manual mode is really easy to use, my brother has one. And you can shoot RAW (DNG).
05-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Yes, The A40 has manual made and video mode w/ voice and AF assist spot beam. One thing that I really like about it, aside from impeccable IQ is, it is not much larger than a credit card. It will easily fit the front pocket. I never tried the manual mode yet, I got spoiled by the different auto mode.

another shot from the A40.

05-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've always found the canon powershot user interface the easiest to use, and the SX110 is precisely what I'd buy if I were in the market for a compact. Particularly for the CDHK.
05-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used to have a canon A10 1.3MP PnS. I must say the IQ is not bad at all for a 1.3MP cam!
05-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I still have that same camera! (the A10, I mean) That's the one I learned the digital "process" with, being that it allowed exposure compensation, white-balance adjustement, etc. Looking back it's like the digital equivalent of using a holga, almost. Or that's how it feels. Makes you get creative.
06-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, after much deliberation I went on eBay and found an Optio M40 with a bunch of accessories for $40. I got it yesterday.

It broke today. But I think it was my fault. I dropped it and now the AF doesn't work right and all the shots are very, very dark.

I am going to end up ordering the A40. As much as I like the SX110IS for its features, especially manual control, it has the following going against it:

* Not a Pentax
* Lower image quality, especially at high ISO
* Though relatively small for a superzoom, still not pocket sized.
06-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another update: I got my A40 and I love it. I love the shake reduction, the multiple shooting modes....it does occasionally have focusing issues as some reviewers have said, but they are minor; and if you set it in Pan Focus mode when focusing is difficult it really matters very little.

Image quality is exceptional, as well.