Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Digicam with DSLR sensor from Pentax?

Hi

I was on wednesday at the Professional Imaging 2007 in Zurich. The Sigma distributor showed under glass the upcoming Sigma DP1 digicam. It is a digicam using the foveon sensor of the SD14 with a prime lens. No other details were known. But I expected a digicam with a DSLR sensor much larger, this DP1 is really small.

I think, if Sigma is able to build such a camera, Pentax should be able to make one with the actual 10MP APS-C sensor and a fixed prime, let's say a 21/2.8.

What do you think, would you be interested in a small digicam with the IQ performance of a DSLR (unfortunately, the Sigma DP1 migt be as expensive as the K10D) ?

04-20-2007, 02:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Average customer is still attracted by zoom range and MP count.
I think that little people would need that camera and even less would buy one. A focal length that you suggested (or any other) wouldn't suit everyone. For me this would be ideal camera for cave photography but it would have to have 18mm and weather sealing.
04-20-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would prefer something like the concept camera from 1997 shown last year at Photokina. A compact APS-C sized camera with just live view LCD on the back and a Pentax mount.

Used with a compact Limited lens would be really small an unobtrusive, while on the back of a FA 600 would allow totally silent operation ideal for shooting animals.
04-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I doubt Pentax has the resources and R&D in the digital sensor tech to make their own sensor like Canon does (SLRS only), Sony and Panasonic.

Furthermore, Pentax is still lagging behind the other big SLRs (although growing largely in part due to the K100D/K10D) and just merely escaped a merger (aka takeover bid) from Hoya. Pentax I don't think can spare the resources on a niche camera that can very easily flop like Ricoh's GR-1.

04-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I would love to see an advanced point and shoot from pentax, maybe not a dslr sensor, but larger than normal for sure. RAW capable, of course.

Alternatively, an ultra compact dSLR aimed at pancake shooters would be of immediate interest to me. Can you imagine a rangefinder-sized camera coupled with the pancake lineup? It would be a street shooters dream come true!
04-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by option Quote
I would love to see an advanced point and shoot from pentax, maybe not a dslr sensor, but larger than normal for sure. RAW capable, of course.

Alternatively, an ultra compact dSLR aimed at pancake shooters would be of immediate interest to me. Can you imagine a rangefinder-sized camera coupled with the pancake lineup? It would be a street shooters dream come true!
All good points, but a big gripe of SLR street photography is shutter noise. Until the shutter can open very quietly, a SLR aimed at street photogs just doesn't make sense.