Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Monitor Settings & picture resolution

Hi,

I have a Sony point and shoot camera with 7.2 pixels. My friend borrowed it to take some pictures of her class. I recently bought a new wide screen monitor. I am noticing that when I use Photoshop or any other picture processing software, her pictures of the kids look blurry or have poor resolution. I checked the settings on the camera, they look fine. I have always had good results with it in the past. I haven't though, taken any pictures with it since getting my Pentax. When I work on pictures from my K20D, I don't have that problem.

If I make the monitor settings lower, they show up looking in focus, when I look at them through the Picture Manager (Windows). However, in Print Shop they still look blurry. Should I change a setting in Photoshop? Please note: I'm a newbie!

I'm sorry if this is a repeat question, I did do a search.
Thanks! Susan

05-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #2

Susan, a blurry photo is a blurry photo. Changing a setting in Photoshop will not help.

Is it possible that you're looking at the pictures zoomed in all the way in Photoshop, but zoomed out in other programs? Zooming out on a blurry photo can make it seem sharper because you're not seeing all the picture detail.

A sample photo would be of great help in diagnosing the problem.

Last edited by Jim Royal; 05-21-2009 at 05:43 AM.
05-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Jim, Thank you for your reply. I remembered that I had taken some pictures at school recently with the Sony as well. I looked at them tonight and see that they are fine. So, you are right. It must just be a blurry photo! Sorry to bother you! Thanks again, Susan
05-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Maybe you should show your friend how to use it properly. For someone not used to digital cameras, the shutter delay can be problematical and they move slightly at the same time as the picture is taken.
Alternatively, she just isn't holding the camera steady enough.

05-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Suggestion: Tell her to rest her elbows on the desk when taking the photo. Also, press the shutter while exhaling slowly, and gently squeeze it instead of jabbing at it. Make sure she's using both hands to hold the camera.