Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #1

CANNOT decide between the P70 or A40

Besides getting both and throwing in an X70 for the fun of it, I have to narrow down my decision to one (for now ). At first I've took a good look at the A40 and was leaning towards that and then all of a sudden I drew interest towards to the P70 because of the claimed "wide angle" shooting...

The kicker: I have a Sony P&S that I only used where I didn't want to carry around my K200. Places like professional sporting events, random moments at work or school, or just everyday picture taking when my SLR is not around. My reasons to upgrade from my current P&S are:

1) Crappy pics due to no SR.
Both P70 and A40 cameras have SR

2) Crappy vids that CANNOT zoom in/out while recording.
I want 720 in full 30fps. Do both cameras give me this?

I was looking at the X70 as my replacement but honestly I have no idea if it is something I can consider "compact". Quite frankly, there are no stores near me that even carry Pentax compact cameras... but because I'm now a Pentaxian I must ride it out! lol

Anyone got good input? My major reason would most likely be for video and last long enough for me to mount to my motorcycle if I wanted to.. but I do also want to be able to take great, fast pics. HELP! Thanks in advance.

05-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
check out panasonic LZ8.
05-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
check out panasonic LZ8.
Lol but why can't I be a Pentaxian?
05-31-2009, 04:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To gauge the size of the X70 go look at the similar Nikon 24X camera. That are about the same size. The A40 is tiny! If the camera has to this size there aren't many choices. Could put two A40 in standard pocket.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #18 WINNERS in compact camera forum. Enter #19. Any brand camera. Ending soon. Enter now!

06-10-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
wll
Veteran Member

I have two Panasonic DMC-LZ8 ....

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
check out panasonic LZ8.
It is an incredible camera.

Even though I'm a hugh Pentax fan, this thing is awsome, and it has gotten rave reviews.

It's of small size, it has aperture, shutter, program and MANUAL mode. It has EV correction along with a very good 5x zoom lens. It uses AA batteries and it has VGA 30fps video.

This was rated high overall at dpreview in there budget camera review last year.

Yep, I bought mine for $99.99, but now they are ~$109.00

I dropped mine on a cement walkway a couple of weeks ago, gave it a couple of little dents, but it works flawlessly, a tough little camera to boot. I give it my highest recomendation for a small everyday carry camera.

When I'm going to any area that may have water or the weather is bad, I take my little Pentax WPI. I may get the W60 as I'm hearing good things about that camera also.

wll

Last edited by wll; 06-10-2009 at 02:12 AM.