Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2007, 02:58 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
W20 Grainy Pics Indoors

My sister-in-law recently purchased a W20 to replace her older 3MP camera. She just recently returned from a cruise and when I asked her how the camera performed, she showed me samples. The pictures taken outside were beautiful (even during a rain storm). However, the pictures taken indoors were suprisingly grainy. My film mind told me that her ISO must have been set awfully high, but I'm not sure if that applies to digital. I've taken indoor shots with my K10D under auto ISO set for max range (up to 1600) and they are not grainy.
Since she bought this camera upon my recommendation, I feel the need to find an answer for her. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Brian

04-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

First thing you ought to know is that compacts have noticeably more noise than dSLRs. You can't really compare compact to dslr.
04-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK, I'll agree with that. I also own a 33WR that hasn't ever produced the graininess that her W20 does. My 33WR is a few years old now and only 3.2 MP. I figure her W20 ought to produce a better result than it has so far. (albeit the outdoor pictures were beautiful).
Brian
04-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The more megapixels, the more grain for the same sensor size. An old 3MP often produces better pictures in poor lighting than the latest and greatest 7-810MP camera.

Your sister-in law's camera was probably on auto ISO, and bumped the ISO up indoors which will result in more grain. Investigate if you can set a limit as to how high the ISO may go. Going higher than 200 is probably not advisable on a compact camera.

04-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ole,
Thanks. As low as 200 for a max, you say. I'll investigate. I hate to think I recommended a Pentax that a relative isn't happy with. After all, in my extended family there are 4 IQ105WR film point and shoot cameras, all because I'm a Pentax fan. The sister-in-law with the W20 is a recent convert from Canon, so I want to make her happy.
Thanks,
Brian
05-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #6

I bought my wife the 3 models back or so of the W20. I also found that I needed to get her to shoot in the P mode rather than one of the scene modes as well as make sure her exposures or ISO were not creating extra noise. I just can't remember what beside the white balance I set in the P mode vrs one of the other presets. The flash on those things is beyond ridiculous too, which does not help. You almost have to go by an arms length rule - nothing past your outstretched arm will be properly exposed by the puny little flash (an eggaration I know but...).

The nice thing is it doesn't matter if it gets wet and it has no external zoom. Little P&S with an external zoom I think are one of the manufactures tools of planned obsolescence.
05-22-2007, 04:40 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The more megapixels, the more grain for the same sensor size. An old 3MP often produces better pictures in poor lighting than the latest and greatest 7-810MP camera.
OMG: A 810 MP-camera !!???!!!

05-22-2007, 04:46 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Ole,
Thanks. As low as 200 for a max, you say. I'll investigate. I hate to think I recommended a Pentax that a relative isn't happy with.
The sister-in-law with the W20 is a recent convert from Canon, so I want to make her happy.
Thanks,
Brian
Hi Brian,

so you want to make her happy.....

seriously:
ISO 200 is quite high ISO-setting for digital compact cameras.... although the lowest setting for Pentax dslr....

The W20 is a special thing because of it's sealings. If you/she need/s them you/she only can choose an OLy as an alternative. (the new 770 SW is a really good cam)
If you/she don't need/s them you/she might choose some other cam.

Simple as that.
05-23-2007, 05:40 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I am having these same issues with my W20 and was just reading the manual last night. It's very annoying. I bought this camera as an "extra" camera to have at the beach and in the water. But, I am so disappointed that I can't get ordinary photos without grain.
07-30-2007, 06:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nicole Quote
I am having these same issues with my W20 and was just reading the manual last night. It's very annoying. I bought this camera as an "extra" camera to have at the beach and in the water. But, I am so disappointed that I can't get ordinary photos without grain.
Something must be wrong with my W20. I don't get no stinken grain.