Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Thoughts on prosumer compact...

Hello all,

So I have been debating the issue of getting a "pro"sumer compact, to compliment, or possibly replace, my DSLR. I understand that the feature set and performance WILL NOT be up to par with an SLR, but I find myself either carrying to much equipment around, or simply not bringing it and regretting it.

ANybody done this and been dissapointed/satisfied/ whatever/

Also if I do go compact, I figure ill get tthe Sigma DP1. Anyone ever use one?

Thanks for any help,

~T

07-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I love my Canon G9. very very nice and feature packed.
07-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

Canon G-series cames are pretty good. I had some good prints with my old G7 even thought it doesn't have raw format.
07-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I use a Canon G6 for those days when I want to travel light with a camera attached to my belt, but don't want to give up certain essentials. This camera has full external manual control without having to dig through a menu, RAW mode, a swiveling LCD screen as well as a backlit top-mounted LCD screen, is large enough to supply great ergonomics, has over 7 megapixels, and costs about $200 on Ebay in mint condition. The following G7 model deletes the RAW mode, and subsequent G models lost the swiveling LCD screen, not to mention the fact that they will cost you much more than this model with no real gain in picture quality. In fact in some ways the picture quality on subsequent models deteriorates, with additional noise at higher ISO settings as they crammed too many pixels onto too small a sensor. This one is a real sleeper.

07-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Do you guy, other than ray, also own a DSLR? My real question is whether or not a compact would be worth the convenience vs. my DSLR. At first i didn't think carrying a bag with 3-4 lenses, and flashes, plus whatever was a big deal. however i find myself fiddling with my gear more than taking photos. I have been trying to just take my K200 and lens to calm it down(even shot some rolls of film), but now I think I may just want to have a smaller camera on me all the time.

Sorry for the rant, just looking for some guidance on IQ vs. convenience.

~~T
07-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by shiestmiester Quote
Also if I do go compact, I figure ill get tthe Sigma DP1. Anyone ever use one?
Before you buy this, try to look for reviews and user experience (elsewhere). I believe DP1 had a great future that never came. People seem to find it slow and clumsy to handle. Of course it's a fixed lens model, so that focal length's what you'd have to live with. DP2's out I believe but I haven't read much of it yet.

What many people in your position have ended up with is a Panasonic LX3 and most seem fairly happy with it. I'd give a serious consideration to the brand new Olympus E-P1 also if I were you. It's not that much bigger than a P&S camera and yet has exchangable micro four thirds lenses as an option. It's just coming to stores within weeks, but most comments from pre-release users are very positive.
07-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I do have a K200 and use the G9 when I just don't feel like carrying the full kit. The G9 does have RAW mode. There was no G8 and raymeedc was right that the G7 removed RAW mode but they apparently saw the error in their ways and put it back in the G9.

And the IQ with the G9 is very very nice. Check the flickr search. All G9 images.

07-11-2009, 04:06 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'd throw a Lumix FZ28 into the mix.

It's marketed as a Superzoom rather than a Prosumer, but with RAW and external controls for most settings, I'd say functionality at least virtually meets the 'prosumer' spec. Add to that a 27-486mm lens and you have quite a tidy package.

I originally had an FZ18 which I sold to help fund a K200D, but regretted selling it almost instantly.

See Flickr's FZ28 groups for examples of IQ.
08-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
Forum Member

Anyone tried the Leica C-lux or D-lux?
08-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Damn Brit

There's also the option of 4/3 now. Less convenient than compact but smaller kit than DSLR.
08-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jake67 Quote
Anyone tried the Leica C-lux or D-lux?
Jake: I have a D-lux 2. While I have enjoyed it, I probably paid too much considering it is equiv. to the Panasonic version except for some cosmetic differences. I do have a strong affinity for Red dots, however. At the time, there was more talk of differences between the models mostly debunked by the Dlux3 and now 4th model.

I would add that Leica did offer to it's users of the D-lux a coupon to upgrade to the M8. IIRC it was for 500$. I thought that was a nice touch. Yes, the M8 is very expensive. But, it's the loyalty to past customers that is nice. Wouldn't it be nice to get a discount on a K7-even 100$- if you had been a previous Pentax P&S user. Oh, they also sent me a battery and Sd card leather(ette) holder.
08-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #12

I just recently went through the same exercise with the selection and purchase of a small high quality camera to use when I can't or don't feel like being burdened with a big bag. When accustomed to a DSLR, one gets pretty spoiled, so it's tough to find something acceptable. I just could not justify spending so much on any of the higher end options of LX3, DLUX4, and the Olympus PEN, when for close to the same money you can get, say, a K2000 body with a 40MM pancake in a tiny holster bag; little, light, and superior images, and there is wonderful photographic life without zoom lenses.

As a result, I purchased a Fujifilm F200EXR; it's awesome, by the way, and a K2000 body, so I am ready for most anything now with one or the other. (I have a lot of Pentax lenses and multiple bodies, but nothing as compact as the K2000). I spent about what I would have spent, say, for the DLUX4 and got the pocket camera and K2000 and can use any of my Pentax lenses.
08-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another happy F200EXR owner, it just works up to iso800 (obviously depends on how big you print). I can use it in any situations and come back with great pictures.
08-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have (and love) the Sigma DP1. Image quality is superb at ISO 50,100, & 200. At 400, it is quite usable. 800 ok in a pinch. It's, slow shot to shot, but autofocus is accurate when it can lock. It's great in the studio (product images last night for me) and the DR is hands down the best I have ever seen in a digi cam. However it is not a point and shoot by any means. 28mm is limiting. That being said, as soon as I can afford to, I am adding the DP2.
08-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I did own a G9 and liked it quite a lot. I wasn't able to get the off camera flash to work the way I wanted, but otherwise it's a great camera. I'm sure the G10 is just as nice. I also had a DLux3 on two different occasions. Great camera but really came to dislike ISO noise over 200 and a lack of a hot shoe. Today, Id probably give serious consideration to the Sony HX1 if I had a need similar to yours.