Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
noise on W60

My kid's 18 months old now and is becoming both very active and very capable of making it difficult to take photos. I've already managed to drop one of SLR's while trying to juggle him and the camera!

I'm considering a W60, but I'm leery about degraded noise and sharpness as a result of the high pixel density in that camera (and all of the point and shoots). The workaround I've thought up is to simply shoot at a lower resolution.

But I'm curious: has anyone tried this route as a means of avoiding the excessive noise of the tiny point-and-shoot sensors? Does it work, or is it achieved by simply shooting at full resolution and down-sampling?

07-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe down-sampling, would be the way to go. Can't find the links right now.

But DSLR would still be better. Maybe a used K100 or *Ist Ds. Will up the Iso and make it possible to use higher shutterspeed
07-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I believe down-sampling, would be the way to go. Can't find the links right now.

But DSLR would still be better. Maybe a used K100 or *Ist Ds. Will up the Iso and make it possible to use higher shutterspeed
Thanks for the response! I do have an *istDS now but it's not really suitable for the kid's environment (even less so than the film cameras, which are at least cheap to replace!). 8^D

I'll do a bit of digging to see about down-sampling examples, try to find some people who are doing it.
07-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Thanks for the response! I do have an *istDS now but it's not really suitable for the kid's environment (even less so than the film cameras, which are at least cheap to replace!). 8^D

I'll do a bit of digging to see about down-sampling examples, try to find some people who are doing it.
Read the links, posted here by Jeffkrol :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/40091-could-someon...tml#post427185

Downsampling seem the way to go.

07-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I'm happy with the W60 noise... ISO 50 - 100 and 200 is very good, 400 and 800 is good for a P&S and 1600 and more is like a wet newspaper after all is a P&S...
07-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Here you can see a sample.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/67445-flying-over-cotton-pentax-w60.html
07-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and links. I suspect I'd be happy with the W60. It certainly came off well in the DPReview comparison!

'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

As far as downsampling, I would be interested to see how it fares with ~6MP photos.

07-23-2009, 04:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and links. I suspect I'd be happy with the W60. It certainly came off well in the DPReview comparison!

'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Thanks, I hadn't seen
09-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I was positively impressed by the W60 performance. I took few photos using it set on auto ISO 50-800 and we reviewed rhw pictures with my family on a large full HD TV (directly from SD card, so it really was 1080lines). Even ISO 800 snapshots looked very good.
09-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I was positively impressed by the W60 performance. I took few photos using it set on auto ISO 50-800 and we reviewed rhw pictures with my family on a large full HD TV (directly from SD card, so it really was 1080lines). Even ISO 800 snapshots looked very good.
Thanks for the response!
09-27-2009, 05:05 AM   #11

My kid's 18 months old now and is becoming both very active and very capable of making it difficult to take photos. I've already managed to drop one of SLR's while trying to juggle him and the camera!

I'm considering a W60, but I'm leery about degraded noise and sharpness as a result of the high pixel density in that camera (and all of the point and shoots). The workaround I've thought up is to simply shoot at a lower resolution.

But I'm curious: has anyone tried this route as a means of avoiding the excessive noise of the tiny point-and-shoot sensors? Does it work, or is it achieved by simply shooting at full resolution and down-sampling?
Some time has passed since you posted this, and you probably picked up the camera already. I solved my issues with noise by purchasing a Canon HF-DC1 slave flash. It responds very nicely to the built in flash (don't use red-eye reduction) and easily extends the flash range to 12meters at ISO 200. It has an auto function so the thyristor regulates the light output to give consistent amounts of light on each shot. The one downside to it is the included bracket to hold the flash is not suitable for mounting next to the camera, so I generally hold the flash a little above the camera when I shoot. Red-eye is a near impossibilitiy and I even get the chance to try bounce flash with it. The flash is no taller than the camera and is super portable. You may wish to take a look at that item.

David
09-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
Some time has passed since you posted this, and you probably picked up the camera already. I solved my issues with noise by purchasing a Canon HF-DC1 slave flash. It responds very nicely to the built in flash (don't use red-eye reduction) and easily extends the flash range to 12meters at ISO 200. It has an auto function so the thyristor regulates the light output to give consistent amounts of light on each shot. The one downside to it is the included bracket to hold the flash is not suitable for mounting next to the camera, so I generally hold the flash a little above the camera when I shoot. Red-eye is a near impossibilitiy and I even get the chance to try bounce flash with it. The flash is no taller than the camera and is super portable. You may wish to take a look at that item.

David
Thanks for the tip. An interesting little flash unit!