08-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
It's simple math

Low ISO = more megapixels

High ISO = just scale the picture to 50%

Nothing to complaing really

Show me a compact camera with good high iso performance.... there is a single one: the R1 with dslr sensor

ALL OTHERS have usable iso 100-200, period, because the instant sensor noise goes down resolution goes up.
But look at the size of the R1 - it's huge!
When I shop for a P&S camera it has to fit in my pocket. Otherwise, I'll just bring one of my SLR's.
I guess there have to be sacrifices.

08-03-2009, 03:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Should anyone trust a review where the reviewer(s) misrepresent the camera(s) being tested? Bottom of page 1 of the review has all the cameras being tested and feature comparisons...They list the W60 and the W80 and no image stabilization. According to what is listed in the features of each camera on Pentax's website, this is false. They list the W60 and the W80 both with shake reduction.

Optio W80 Waterproof Digital Camera (Gunmetal Gray) - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
W80 features

AND

Optio W80 Waterproof Digital Camera (Gunmetal Gray) - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
W60

Am I misunderstanding the term for shake reduction versus image stabilization?

Jason
08-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

It's digital SR only, Jason. Not true sensor-shift or optical stabilization.
08-03-2009, 03:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

so, it's inferior?

08-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
so, it's inferior?
Actually, it's not inferior, it's non-existent... just a marketing trick from Pentax and the reviewers are right to call their bluff on this: it's confusing at best and certainly made to lead beginers into thinking that the camera features an anti-shake mechanism of some sort... which it doesn't!

The so-called digital IS is just the camera moving the ISO up to compensate for lower light or telephoto shake.

What you get is usually a noisy mess over a relatively blur-free image.
08-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #21
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote

The so-called digital IS is just the camera moving the ISO up to compensate for lower light or telephoto shake.
What it does is in camera help of getting rid of the blurred pixels. It is my understanding it has nothing to do with higher ISO's.

wll
08-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #22

In case anyone cared, you can now get the Azure blue on Amazon. Cardinal red and the silver are still 'Pre-Orders'
08-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #23
Forum Member

Cardinal red

They will have a Cardinal red back in stock soon, sent mine back. My wpi is sharper. Anybody try the PANASONIC DMC-TS1?

08-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #24
Pentaxian

SR on Optio

I'm not taking the time to check but I recall (clearly if not correctly) that those Optios used a technique that Pentax calls Pixel Tracking. It's not optical stabilzation of any kind and it's not simply an ISO boost. Something to do with trying to figure out how much blur was in which direction (based on pixel patterns) and then applying some pixel manipulation and sharpening magic.

One review I saw reported that the motion blur was reduced but the image also lost overall sharpness as collateral damage. I don't really care if the soft image comes from motion-induced blur or the software repair of motion or of noise. The result is still a soft and/or muddy image.

Perhaps Pentax will have another go at the software and we'll see substantial benefit. In the meantime ......
08-08-2009, 01:32 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Actually, it's not inferior, it's non-existent... just a marketing trick from Pentax and the reviewers are right to call their bluff on this: it's confusing at best and certainly made to lead beginers into thinking that the camera features an anti-shake mechanism of some sort... which it doesn't!

What you get is usually a noisy mess over a relatively blur-free image.
I do not understand why you post untrue statements about Pentax cameras. If you do not know, please check before posting. It may not be a moving sensor and not as effecitve, but it is, as stated by glanglois, a technique where the shaking is tracked digitally on the sensor (by a separate ASIC) and the compensated for digitally, and not by raising ISO.

We might have a discussion how effective this SR is, but in order to be constructive, it should be based on true descriptions of the functionality.

Quote describing the functionality:

"Pixel Track SR mode

When recording still images, the Optio W80’s Pixel Track SR (Shake Reduction) mode effectively compensates for camera shake by processing the amount of image blur with a dedicated ASIC. Pixel Track SR tracks motion blur at the pixel level and calculates blur volume in real time. After exposure, the recovery filter centers the motion effect around each pixel to compartmentalize the blur. Then, an adjustment filter sharpens the pixels to help remove the blur effect. Pixel Track SR results in sharp images without adding high ISO noise."

Best regards,
Haakan