Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 03:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

W80 on dpreview :-(

dpreview re-did their test on underwater cameras, and their findings did not make me to happy.

wll

07-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
emr

I agree. After the original test I was thinking that W80 with better video could be a great purchase.

'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
Summary

When trying to update the W60 Pentax improved the HD video frame rate to 30 fps, and increased the resolution of the sensor. While the first makes the video mode more usable, the second has introduced more noise especially at high ISO settings. If you find the wide 5x zoom lens, and feature set of the Pentax an attractive proposition, then the W60 is a better choice than the W80 despite the slower HD video frame rate.

* We like: Compact design, good colors and exposure, versatile with wide zoom range, 720p HD video recording with 30 fps, wide ISO range.

* We don't like: Image quality not as good as the W60 which it replaces, no built in image stabilization, user interface not the best in the group, small battery
07-27-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I cannot remember Pentax making any compact camera that stands above the sea of PnS cameras from the other makes. The compact camera market is so competitive and yet Pentax has failed time and time again to come up with compact cameras that put picture quality first. The more megapixels formula at the expense of image quality approach that the W80 adopts is proof of the designers failing to really understand what the end user really want.
07-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

the end user wants more megapixels because that means higher quality
advertising for the best image quality is dubious because everybody says that...

07-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I agree. After the original test I was thinking that W80 with better video could be a great purchase.

'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
But I don’t ever plan on using a P&S for high Iso images. So for me, the W80 would probably be as good as the W60.
I would love for the zoom range to start at 24 mm, though
07-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
the end user wants more megapixels because that means higher quality
advertising for the best image quality is dubious because everybody says that...
pixel count only truly matters if you want to make large prints though right? If you're one who just uploads pics to a hard drive and views them on a computer screen and shares them that way, isn't the difference between 5mp and 12mp undetectable?

Where if they could make a sensor with less mp and spend the extra money developing better sensors for higher ISO settings, maybe that would be beneficial.
07-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #7

My wife has the W60 and is very happy with it. It's a compact but can be used under water, it's open to plenty of creative use.

07-29-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
pixel count only truly matters if you want to make large prints though right? If you're one who just uploads pics to a hard drive and views them on a computer screen and shares them that way, isn't the difference between 5mp and 12mp undetectable?
Putting 12 mp instead of 10 on such a small sensor, like Pentax did with the W80/W60, has only detrimental effects. Worse in low light, worse picture quality, bigger files, slower camera... There's no benefit whatsoever, it is purely a marketing thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff:
I cannot remember Pentax making any compact camera that stands above the sea of PnS cameras from the other makes.
They had a brief moment in the spotlight when they released the Optio S, but even then it was the size & design that stood out, not the picture quality. Let's face it though, every point and shoot camera is garbage, so it's only fair to assume that Pentax's point and shoot cameras are going to be garbage.
07-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote

Where if they could make a sensor with less mp and spend the extra money developing better sensors for higher ISO settings, maybe that would be beneficial.
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Putting 12 mp instead of 10 on such a small sensor, like Pentax did with the W80/W60, has only detrimental effects. Worse in low light, worse picture quality, bigger files, slower camera... There's no benefit whatsoever, it is purely a marketing thing.
yes of course we all know this but the average consumer doesn't know. i always need to hold myself back when people compare cameras by the number of "megapixels".

and that's where the marketing comes in....

Last edited by k100d; 07-29-2009 at 12:24 PM.
07-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #10

Sigh. I had high hopes for this. It's a shame it's getting such poor marks.
07-30-2009, 01:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mindflux Quote
Sigh. I had high hopes for this. It's a shame it's getting such poor marks.
It's not bad for a 12 megapixel compact camera, it's just that 12 megapixel compact cameras are bad per definition. If you need a waterproof camera, just get the W60 at a reduced price and be happy with that.
07-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
It's not bad for a 12 megapixel compact camera, it's just that 12 megapixel compact cameras are bad per definition. If you need a waterproof camera, just get the W60 at a reduced price and be happy with that.

Reduced price? The prices I'm seeing on NEW W60's now are about as much or more than the W80 will be.

Last edited by Mindflux; 07-30-2009 at 05:56 AM.
07-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
yes of course we all know this but the average consumer doesn't know. i always need to hold myself back when people compare cameras by the number of "megapixels".

and that's where the marketing comes in....
yeah, i hear ya...i hear quite often when people are shopping for P&S cameras 'yeah, but this one has 12mp, and that one only has 8.' I hate to butt into people's business while at a store, but if it's someone I know I definitely try to explain that they don't need 12mp, especially for photos they are just going to share online with friends.
08-01-2009, 01:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I still like it. I'd still buy it if I needed a waterproof camera.
08-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It's simple math

Low ISO = more megapixels

High ISO = just scale the picture to 50%

Nothing to complaing really

Show me a compact camera with good high iso performance.... there is a single one: the R1 with dslr sensor

ALL OTHERS have usable iso 100-200, period, because the instant sensor noise goes down resolution goes up.