Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #1

Optio W80

My daughter bought an Optio W80. I am an experienced user of Canon equipment and we compared this against the D10 and she went for the Pentax based on the features and stats she saw.

The test pictures that she has taken are less than stellar. They are overly noisey/grainy for what they should be in comparison to my Canon G10 or even my lowly A620. On some of the flash shots she is getting spots that I can only equate what it looks like when you use the flash on falling snow. I have tried it on a number of different settings, flash, no flash, indoors, outdoors, different modes, different ISO levels all with the same results. When I look at the shots at 100% they are softer than what I would expect.

Attached Images

10-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This from Pentx's website about this:

"Q: Why am I sometimes seeing light spots in my images after using the built in flash on my camera?

A: The most likely cause of the small 'floating' light colored spots in the photo is "backscatter". Backscatter occurs when light (usually from a camera's flash) reflects back into the lens from nearby airborne particles such as dust, rain or snowflakes. These reflections (especially when shooting against a dark background) then appear as small light spots or circles in your photos.

If possible, taking the photo without using the flash may reduce the appearance of spots under these conditions. You may also be able to remove the spots from the picture with photo editing software."
The original post can be found here:
http://support.pentaximaging.com/documents/368

As far as the soft pictures and high noise, I would experiment a bit with the settings. I have zero experience with Pentax p&s's (still using a Canon G5 for my p&s needs), but I would experiment a bit with ISO and flash settings and also the resolution quality and size. I have read in some reviews that it performs poorly at anything above 200 (which is kind of a downer).
10-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that link. It just doesn't seem right to me. I have been through several p&s cameras and DSLR's (all Canon) and have never encountered this particular issue with any of them. It almost seems too sensitive.

We have spent the evening going over as much information as we could find as well as trying different settings. We did a number of side by side shots with the Canon G9 and the Optio shots just seem inferior to the ones I get from the Canon. I have left the decision up to her but I think she is going to return this and get something different. This camera is for a 5 week trip to Ecuador where she is doing volunteer nursing in villages and countryside. She has to have some confidence in what she is leaving with will serve her well.
10-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

I think that's a good move. Pentax (and I believe all of the waterproof p&S's) have had to sacrifice either focal length, sensitivity or features to build these things. While it may be cumbersome, she may think about getting a p&s with an underwater housing. My dad had a g9 combo like that and it worked great. The housings are a little pricey, but she can probably find a much higher quality, smaller camera, then just use the housing when conditions demand.
This is a pretty good deal for a camera/housing combination:
Fantasea Line | FL-19/20 Underwater Housing Kit with | 12201
And it comes with insurance
But there are a few good options - I don't want to endorse any brand - like I said, I'm no expert on point and shoots

10-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the link on the underwater housing. I've already got a housing for my G9 and it works like a charm. As you said, somewhat cumbersome but it does turn out nice shots as evidenced from my last trip to Hawaii. I have parted ways with my camera for her trip and she can sort out what she wants when she comes back. Kids...always leaving things until the last minute.
10-24-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have seen these spots with our new w80, and with many, many other cameras that have the flash near the lens. There's nothing new here. The G9's flash is farther away, lowering the changes of observing this. It happens when there's dust in the air.

Underwater housings work well enough, but they cannot compare with the convenience of using a dedicated underwater camera. But to each his own, of course.

for the record, the w80 is the most PF-resistant camera I have ever used.
10-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ShSimpson Quote
Thanks for the link on the underwater housing. I've already got a housing for my G9 and it works like a charm. As you said, somewhat cumbersome but it does turn out nice shots as evidenced from my last trip to Hawaii. I have parted ways with my camera for her trip and she can sort out what she wants when she comes back. Kids...always leaving things until the last minute.
Incredible picture! Where did you take that? My girlfriend and I were in Hawaii in June. We went to Punalu'u beach, waiting for the turtles to swim ashore. We had to travel back and forth from the big island to Honolulu (it was a wedding trip) so we only had one day on that side of the big island. I only got one good shot of a turtle. Could have used an underwater housing there!
10-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Bt coincidence, I was talking to the folks at my local camera pusher's today. They singled out the W80 as the worst imaging waterproof camera available right now.
They can't get a sharp picture out of it.

10-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Bt coincidence, I was talking to the folks at my local camera pusher's today. They singled out the W80 as the worst imaging waterproof camera available right now.
They can't get a sharp picture out of it.
Have they actually tried it? Have YOU tried it?

I bought it for my wife and do not regret the choice. It is an excellent photographic tool within its P&S limitations, and it is designed with beginners in mind, which is perfect for the wife

Store clercks usually will try to sell you the camera with the best margin, not the best camera.
10-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Have they actually tried it? Have YOU tried it?

I bought it for my wife and do not regret the choice. It is an excellent photographic tool within its P&S limitations, and it is designed with beginners in mind, which is perfect for the wife

Store clercks usually will try to sell you the camera with the best margin, not the best camera.
They had 8x10 prints off of about 8 different P&S cameras. The W80 print was noticeably the softest and had the least detail of the lot.
My pusher actually likes Pentax. They had 4 bodies and a dozen lenses on display with lots of product backing it up for sale.
They are the real deal, I'm not talking about Ritz Cameras here.
10-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Good that they are well documented. I can only say that my personal experience differs from this. The w80 gives us excellent IQ. Then again, it's not a great low light performer. But the same can be said of any P&S.

Maybe I got a stellar copy, or maybe they got a bad copy. The camera was recommended in three stores here.
01-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I was thinking of buying one but I just get from one bad review to another!
I've been researching a lot on these shock and waterproof compacts as I am interested in one.
With the price they go for, I don't want to blow it on something that I won't be happy with!
01-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I am very disappointed so far in my w80. I have the 6.0 optio and it has very good pics so I chose pentax again but my pics are terrible so far. I was hoping to use it for an everyday camera like I do with my older one. I will try another day or two and then it will go back if I don't see a change.
02-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just bought one for $149 which I will give to my wife if/when I am satisfied it's worth the money. I have 12 more days to test and thanks to this thread I will be as thorough as I can be. Tomorrow I plan to take it swimming and see how it does.
The shots I have taken so far have been inconsistent with regards to sharpness but I have only used P mode and have not delved too far in the menu.
02-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
I just bought one for $149 which I will give to my wife if/when I am satisfied it's worth the money. I have 12 more days to test and thanks to this thread I will be as thorough as I can be. Tomorrow I plan to take it swimming and see how it does.
The shots I have taken so far have been inconsistent with regards to sharpness but I have only used P mode and have not delved too far in the menu.
I already had mine for almost a month courtesy from the same seller I guess.
I think I've got a good copy.
Haven't taken it swimming though but I accept its shortcomings since it is still a P&S.
Noise is a part of the P&S and I bought this for the waterproof and shockproof feature and not the IQ feature.
Would be great to have it as a bonus but that would be asking too much.
The video capture is great and the macro capabilities.
Thanks Adorama for a great price and a good working (so far) camera.