Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #1

Warranty Worthless

I purchased a Pentax A40 last December. In November the screen just went blank. I sent it in to Pentax Service right away. Just got a call that it would cost $94 to repair. They said that the LCD screen had leaked and was due to rough handling. My wife and I are senior adults with no childern around. We kept the camera in a semi-hard foam lined case and it did not have one scratch. I called Pentax only to be told too bad. So...unless you want a disposable camera...do not buy Pentax

Rod

12-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I can certainly understand your frustration! Perhaps there is a forum member that can point you to someone at Pentax who could be more helpful in this matter. That repair cost is practically half of a new one - if you have a receipt, and know you never subjected it to any harsh climates (seeing as it is not weather sealed), then the repair should definitely fall under warranty.
12-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rmoorez Quote

I purchased a Pentax A40 last December. In November the screen just went blank. I sent it in to Pentax Service right away. Just got a call that it would cost $94 to repair. They said that the LCD screen had leaked and was due to rough handling. My wife and I are senior adults with no childern around. We kept the camera in a semi-hard foam lined case and it did not have one scratch. I called Pentax only to be told too bad. So...unless you want a disposable camera...do not buy Pentax

Rod
Totally understand!
I've been through very similar ordeals in the past.
Though I haven't turned against the product brand in question, it has completely destroyed my faith in extended warranties.

PS. I still buy store warranties though(they do seem to work)
12-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Did you pay for the camera with American Express, Gold/Platinum VISA or Gold/Platinum MasterCard?

If yes, the camera should be covered by the card company. Unlike manufacturer's warranty, the "insurance" by the card company covers loss/damage due to accident/theft.

But I do think that Pentax should repair/replace the camera under warranty. If they don't want to do so, it's their burden to prove that the damage is due to misuse. If you want to follow this, sue them in small claim court just for the principle.

12-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rmoorez Quote

Rod
Did you keep the purchase receipt?
Did you keep the box and Warranty Card (for the Serial Number)?
Did you keep the package postage receipt when you sent it in?
Do you know the name of the person you spoke to?
Do you have date and time of call?
Do you have actual notes of the conversation?

Call Pentax Service (probably C.R.I.S.) with all this information handy. Explain your conflict. If not resolved ask to speak to a Supervisor. Make an appointment to speak with the Supervisor with the actual camera in front of him/her.

DO NOT VOLUNTEER ANYTHING!
Ask the supervisor to tell you the actual Serial Number from the camera, because you think yours must have gotten crossed with another.
Ask the supervisor to describe the external condition of the camera (because yours was EX+, with no marks).
Ask the supervisor to describe the actual damage to the camera.
Ask the supervisor to describe how this damage could have occurred.

If there are discrepancies, point them out now.

Describe the condition of the camera you sent in.

Ask for relief.

If nothing positive happens, ask for your camera back and pursue the matter with the Better Business Bureau or some other more sever remedy.
12-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #6

Unfortunately, I can relate. My experience was with the Optio 750z which I sent in to repair a known, well-reported, defect with that particularly camera. I carried it with me every day and so it looked like it was used. That was enough for Pentax to disqualify my warranty even though I was well within the warranty period. I paid to get it fixed and six months later the same thing happened again. "Worthless" is right. Pentax is no Canon when it comes to standing by their equipment. Still, I prefer Pentax.
12-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

For P&S cameras, I've gone through four now so I can see where you're coming from.

My first point and shoot was a Sony Cybershot (3.2MP!). One year and one month anter I bought it, there was a "memory stick error".

I tries everything and nothing worked. I got the same reply from sony and it was going to cost $100 to fix. Screw them.

All I know on the DSLR front is that Pentax is pretty good aboutt replacing bad copies of lenses. A little different, I know, because your incident happened AFTER it was working fine.

Store warranties are a gamble and you'll likely lose or they won't honor your claim. Just buy a Canon point and shoot and be happy. Pentax P&S screens/menus/buttons have alway been kind of "blah" to me. Do they ever think not to refine it a little?
Anyway, I'm just ranting now. Love their DSLRs though.
01-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Frankly, warranties on anything are borderline useless. The grief you go through trying to get anything fixed on a car is just obscene. There is an excuse for everything and they know the traps better than joe consumer.

01-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am surprised to here these reports. Here in Australia, I have found generally, the warranty on any item, including extended warranties are honoured fairly well.
In most cases, replacement of parts with new and repairs are carried out without too much hassle.
I have had electrical goods (i.e.microwave oven) replaced with new , no questions asked.

We do have a very influential body Consumer Affairs, who carry a fair amount of clout over businesses if you take a complaint to them.
04-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
Forum Member

DO NOT VOLUNTEER ANYTHING!
Ask the supervisor to tell you the actual Serial Number from the camera, because you think yours must have gotten crossed with another.
Ask the supervisor to describe the external condition of the camera (because yours was EX+, with no marks).
Ask the supervisor to describe the actual damage to the camera.
Ask the supervisor to describe how this damage could have occurred.

All good things. Also, tell them you think it might have been swapped.