Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Help w/Optio A20!! Anybody having trouble?

HI all, I've just got an Optio A20, and the image quality is pretty bad, blurred, seems like a chinese throw away cam ..I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but what?
This is just shooting with the green mode, the basic point and shoot...
If someone has this cam and would help me, it would be so nice...!
Thanks
My e-mail is manish [at] hawaii [dor] rr [dot] com
Manish

Last edited by Adam; 11-22-2006 at 03:05 PM. Reason: E-mail format edited
11-22-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thread moved to the P&S forum.

Also, never post your e-mail on the internet as it will be overrun by spam bots.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by manish Quote
HI all, I've just got an Optio A20, and the image quality is pretty bad, blurred, seems like a chinese throw away cam ..I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but what?
To be honest, this is one area (Point and shoots) that Pentax have ALOT of room for improvement.
I played with 2-3 models in-store a couple weeks ago and they all pretty much suffered the effects you're describing. I ended up with a Panasonic DMC- LZ3 that has image stabilization and found it for under 200.

Exchange it for another brand or get your money back is the best advice I can offer.
While they make decent, affordable dSLRs (I own a istDL), they have work to do in the point and shoot arena.
11-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Except for some minor problems with sticking automatic lense covers and a very infrequent freeze of the unit in the field (nothing worked so I pulled the battery and put it back) my Optio 550 has been a great little camera. I will graduate to a DSLR but have gotten reasonable quality from this little guy. Put (10) 8X10's in the State fair and got 7 ribbons, all from the Optio 550.

12-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure you don't have the camera in the wrong focusing mode. It could be in one of the macro modes, manual focus mode, or mountain (infinity) mode. Also try playing with wide and spot autofocus.
thanks
barondla
10-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know this thread is quite old now but thought it might be worth leaving a comment in case anyone passes by. My wife had an Optio A20. We had no problems with picture quality. They were sharp with good colours. She was able to take a lot of high quality photos. Sounds like you've been unfortunate and have a dud. The one weakness we found was in some situations in bright sunlight. It was near impossible to view what you were shooting on the LCD display. But this is a problem with many compact digitals as many manufacturers have abandoned the backup optical viewfinder. It got a bit frustrating after a while particular as we make a lot of trips to the south of France where the light is very bight. So my wife has now changed to another brand which provides a viewfinder. Pentax don't seem to have any small compacts with a viewfinder.

Paul