Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Who wants to see a Pentax 4:3 system or...

Lately I have been looking at the Olympus E-P2 and thinking it would be really great to have something like that only with my K-Mount glass. There are now K-Mount to Micro 4:3 adapters out there, but for those of us that like to stay brand loyal, how about this:

APS-C sensor, Crippled KAF2 mount, i-10 style body (probably a little bigger).

This could essentially be a K-x without the mirror box, prism, or shutter. Using exisiting parts in a new body would keep costs and mission creep from turning it into something too expensive.

Thoughts?

02-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

probably not in the business plan

Just putting a PK mount on a 4/3 body would be like putting a 645 or 6x7 mount on an APS-C or 35/FF body -- yah, it could be done, but it would be clumsy, sub-optimal. For best use, 4/3 requires redesigned lenses, SMALLER lenses. The 4/3 sensor is the same size as 110 film frames. Hey, we could use all those old Pentax 110 SLR lenses! We might need to embed chips in them, however.

More plausible would be a PK-mount EVIL system. We'd still need some new lenses, especially ultrawides, but it's a much better fit. Get rid of the prism and mirror and their wasted space, and the 15mpx K1E would be even thinner than my old Olympus Pen-FT (and with the same frame size). THIS is something I'd look forward to!
02-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I suppose what I was talking about was more of an EVIL system , as I mentioned the APS-C sensor. It would definitely be larger than the Micro 4:3 systems, but an APS-C sensor with the DA/DA* glass would be a handy backup. A lot of fun could be had with just that body and the DA 43mm pancake as a pocket camera.
04-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just putting a PK mount on a 4/3 body, can be done, but, IMO, it would not be optimal. For effectiveness, 4/3 requires redesigned lenses, namely smaller lenses.

The 4/3 sensor is the same size as a 110 film frames. Maybe we can use all the old Pentax 110 SLR lenses with embeded chips in them. (Just a thought)

04-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would love to see a digital 110 system. I think that it's possible, maybe a new and slightly larger lens and body would have to be introduced to bit all that circuitry in there, and the Pentax APS-C mount, but I really do think that Pentax is going to make one of these cameras eventually. What I have no idea about is when they are going to do it. How many years did the 645D take to actually be released?
04-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Samsung system in the NX10 is a hybrid system, I believe.
Maybe Pentax could go the way of Samsung and explore this posibility.
Between the two systems, (4:3 and APS-C) what are the pros and cons? If the 4:3 system is better, then Pentax can think of moving towards this direction, IMO.