Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Did Penatx drop the ball with the W-90

As owner of the ist DL and K20D and a bag full of glass I hate to say it but it seems Penatx has dropped the ball with the W-90. The Lumix seems to be much better with the OIS which the W-90 doesn't have for the same money. The other features are as good or better then the W-90 it seems. Maybe it's just me but Pentax seems to be third maybe even behind the cheaper Canon. ( damn I hate to even type that name).
I was really hoping to see the W-90 take the lead but that doesn't seem to have happened. It seems to be a step behind now. I am very shocked and disappointed.
Looks like I am gonna have to go elsewhere for my underwater camers for the trip in May.

03-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax P&S were great back in the film days, but have since lagged behind since the digital era. Either they didn't tried hard enough, or they had a different approach on P&S, Pentax DCs are just not in the game these days. Panasonic & Canon are far far ahead in this area.
04-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have not used the W90, but I bought the w80 for the wife and it is an excellent camera. Noise is decently over control (perfectly usable up to ISO 400). It's well designed, the menus are great according to my wife, it has four customizable "buttons" (rather buttons combinations). It's a waterproof camera that's small enough to be put in a pocket, which Cannot be said of the Canon equivalent.

According to the sales clerck where I bought it, the Canon is a slightly better camera, IQ-wise, but the Pentax (w80) is a better tool.
04-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I have not used the W90, but I bought the w80 for the wife and it is an excellent camera. Noise is decently over control (perfectly usable up to ISO 400). It's well designed, the menus are great according to my wife, it has four customizable "buttons" (rather buttons combinations). It's a waterproof camera that's small enough to be put in a pocket, which Cannot be said of the Canon equivalent.

According to the sales clerck where I bought it, the Canon is a slightly better camera, IQ-wise, but the Pentax (w80) is a better tool.
Well said....
Sometimes the IQ is just adequate accross the board, have a better "tool" creates an environment that wil produce better results regardless of the intrinsic IQ...

04-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #5

Only in price

From what I hear, the W90 is one great little camera, overcoming the shortcomings I heard plagued the W80. Personally, the W70 is one sweet camera, and I believe the firt of the rugged cameras to shoot HD video.

Im not sure how many they will sell because of the their new tri-flash for macro photography, but it sure is cool.
04-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I know I read it here in the forums but there is a rumor (or fact) that it is not actually Pentax producing their P&S anymore.
They seem to be just licensing it under the name of Pentax but is actually a different manufacturer or subcontracted to a different manufacturer.
Now, if I can just remember exactly where in the forums I read this.
They are more dedicated to the DSLR's.
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I know I read it here in the forums but there is a rumor (or fact) that it is not actually Pentax producing their P&S anymore.
They seem to be just licensing it under the name of Pentax but is actually a different manufacturer or subcontracted to a different manufacturer.
Now, if I can just remember exactly where in the forums I read this.
They are more dedicated to the DSLR's.
I was told by my friends that Pentax P&S cameras used to be outsourced to Samsung. That is why in the earlier batches of cameras, there is a similarity of the sensor and software used by both companies in their P&S cameras.

The same goes for dSLR as some of the battery grip for the Samsung dSLR is compatible with the K100D. I am not sure of the current situation, though.