Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

Manual controls in Pentax P&S

I've never owned a Pentax P&S and have sometimes wondered about getting the rugged Pentax P&S but I would like to have a point and shoot camera that at the very least gives me manual controls over shutter and aperture. Right now I have a Canon A590 IS and it's doing a good job but I'll probably give it to my parents and get a new one for myself.

04-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Specifications, including information about manual controls or lack thereof, are here at DPR: DpReview.Com - specs - Pentax
04-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know about other Optio models, but the A40 and similar have Program AE, Shutter priority and Manual modes, among all the other fancy modes. There are only 2 F/stops, F/2.8 and f/8.0 on my Optio A40, but you can indeed do a fully manual exposure with one. I used that feature to get shots at night of lit-up roadside signs.

The Pentax Optio A40 also offers exposure compensation and manual or automatic ISO. It's really got a LOT of control. I don't know if this functionality is on all Pentax P&S cameras, but it's definitely there on the A40 and the other top-shelf cameras.
04-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toylas Quote
I've never owned a Pentax P&S and have sometimes wondered about getting the rugged Pentax P&S but I would like to have a point and shoot camera that at the very least gives me manual controls over shutter and aperture. Right now I have a Canon A590 IS and it's doing a good job but I'll probably give it to my parents and get a new one for myself.
That is a good idea to give your parents the Canon since it is easier to operate and does a fine job at being actually as the name suggests "point and shoot"!
What I like about the new Pentax P&S are their ruggedness and it can get wet in the raini or the like..plus the now ones shoot HD video too.

04-15-2010, 02:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the Canon A40 has such functions as narrated by unixrevolution.

But most Pentax P&S does not have manual controls over shutter and aperture, as far as I know. Some do have manual control in focusing macro shots.

Cheers.