Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #16

Hi,

I got my W90 yesterday and took it paddling today. Good fun, but oh, big surprise: Point and shoot is actually much more difficult than using a Dslr. With the dslr you have the time, you have a good grip, you have steady ground under your feet maybe even a tripod, you have a good viewfinder, you can set/adjust all the settings and do multiple exposure till you get it right.

I chose the W90 because it looks like it has a better grip than the competitors. but compared to the K7 it is like holding a little soap. I could nt decide which program to use either, bright surroundings, underwater, landscape or sport, as I needed all of them at once.

If youre going to use it while paddling or surfing or some other wet action, I honestly dont think it makes much different which brand it is, as it is really demanding conditions, and you need to be both skilled and lucky to catch what you intend to anyway, and half the photos will be taken with salty water on the lens, leaving white clouds on the pictures.

Anyway, I am happy with my W90 so far, I just learned that water and sport is hard work, and that it will be a while before it is the camera that is the shortcoming and not me shooting with it. I wished the W90 had even better grip though. And that the battery saver didnt turn of the camera everytime it was unused for more than a minute. It is also too easy to accidently push other buttons while zooming and shooting if youre at the same time busy holding on to your oar or your balance or something. I d gladly have a bigger bulkier version with bigger buttons placed not at edge. (And I am a girl with girl hands) I also think Pentax should have thrown in a longer strap, I had to use a shoestring to get it safely attached.

But, good fun and I am glad i didnt spend more money

07-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I tested one for a review recently. Didn't love it, but it's better than the Olympus TOUGH 8010 I also reviewed.
07-07-2010, 02:25 AM   #18

Gone Back

I was having fun with my w90 but I have sent it back yesterday.

Also I bought it for holiday to Egypt / Red Sea

Used it a couple of times in water, the first time i used it in water was around the pool, I made sure it was all locked up ready to take in the water so I do not know if grit or sand got under the shoot button but it automatically started taking photos.

Taking the battery and memory card out didn't have any effect. Eventually leaving the camera then playing around some more with the shoot button and it stopped taking photos on its own.

Later in the week i was going on a snorkeling trip and took it with me again making sure it was all locked up air tight i went in the Sea. Within about 5 minutes after taking a movie of fish for 1 minute the cameras screen went off and wouldn't come back on.

The unit powered on and still took photos but the screen didn't come on. Which was no use.

I got frustrated due to the fact that, that was one of the reasons i bought the camera. So i could not take it snorkeling in the Red Sea, i would have been better off with one of the Egyptians disposable waterproof cameras, if i have known. The camera was looking good as new before then.

It was a great outdoors camera, with some nice shooting modes. I've requested a refund but do not know if they will, hopefully they will as i would like to go with a different digital camera. I'm not sure if I'd trust one again.
Although I doubt I'd get a refund I received the camera in April.

*Edit I did test it in the sink when i got it

-Dual

Last edited by DualFever; 07-12-2010 at 03:35 AM.
07-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I've seen lots of reports of them leaking, unfortunately.

07-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got mine yesterday. I haven't had the time to test it out or shoot any photos with it yet.

I was looking at it, and the seal around the battery / SD card slot doesn't seem like it makes a tight fit when closed. Maybe I am just used to the K7. But, who knows. I'll take it underwater soon and see how it does.
07-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #21

Yeah the seal didn't seem to tight on mine either on both the output cable sockets or the battery, so i wondered if that was the problem. I never had opened it when wet or damp.

The retailer I sent it back to said they have sent it off to the manufacturer, and they will find the fault with the item and arrange a repair.

But even then I'm not sure if I'd take it back in the water after. Which is annoying because that's what I bought the w90 camera for.
I would have spent the extra money on something that takes better quality photos, rather than it being water proof if I had known.

If you are thinking of taking the camera in water I would suggest maybe purchasing the extra water-proof case for diving to be sure.

-Dual
07-12-2010, 05:29 AM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
mY W90

I had it at the beach and it leaked. Causeing the camera to shut down. Sent back to Pentax. They are sending me a new one. ( one month later) Love the camera fun and does ok.
Still thinking that Panasonic is a better camera though.
To late now.

07-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I thought the W90 would be a great birthday present for my nephew. But it looks like sensor was designed by marketers instead of engineers. They packed too much in a small area and the low light looks terrible from the review shots. The kid will only be posting online where 6 mega pixels is more than enough and low light capabilities is a huge bonus; otherwise, he'd most likely never use it and continue with his phone camera. I like the idea of a rugged camera and wish the Fuji Film P&S would do that.

Last edited by tuco; 07-12-2010 at 08:30 AM.
07-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #24
Inactive Account

I've had one for about 3 weeks now and we sent it to camp with my 8 year old daughter. We figured it's rugged and waterproof so she really won't be able to damage it, and she's pretty responsible with her electronic gadgets anyway (Nintendo DS, iPod Nano, etc.).

Before she left we had about 2 weeks to play around with it. I took it in our saltwater pool several times, no leak issues, but I did wipe it off with a clean damp cloth after swimming. Underwater is very difficult because I do'nt have goggles or a mask, but that's not the fault of the camera, so framing and composition are tough, but you get used to it. I just have to get a mask.

The photos are pretty good, but no comparison to a DSLR (K-7 or K20D that I also have) but those can't go in the pool with me. I don't like that you have to switch modes between underwater and above water, because it's cumbersome to switch. The camera in underwater mode automatically compensates for the predominant blue colour, so when you're above water all photos get a magenta tinge to them. Just means you have to take a sequence underwater, switch then take a sequence above water.

One suggestion I'd have it that anybody getting one get some of that clear film that is used to protect Cell phone screens, cut it to size, and put it on the rear LCD Panel. Our is already pretty scratched up, with minimal use. Image is still bright and crisp, but when it's off you can see the scratching. I think it's because the screen is not recessed or even flush with the rest of the camera, it protrudes, so when you set the camera down on it's back the screen is in direct contact with whatever you set it on, be it table, concrete around the pool, etc.

Otherwise, it seems to be a very durable camera that will stand up to moderate abuse/use, and I like that the kids can use it and I'm less worried that they'll drop it in the pool or elsewhere.
07-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
This might be a stupid reason to not buy this camera... but all I need to know is if I can zoom in and out while taking videos? This is the only reason why I have not bought previous models because that was not possible.

If someone can confirm if I can zoom in and out while shooting vids that will be the selling point for me (I probably will end up with the camera anyway.. but not so soon..)

EDIT: It turns out I saw a vid on youtube and my question has been answered. The camera can indeed zoom in and out while shooting vid! Sweet, this camera should be mine in a few weeks now
Where did you see that video? One review I read claimed the W90 couldn't zoom while recording.

I'm thinking of replacing my aiptek go hd 720 with this guy. It is getting on in years and I wouldn't mind having a waterproof camera, how are people finding the video quality? My aiptek isn't great, it was one of the first compact HD video cameras around $200, but it does a decent job for what I've used it for.

That video of the kid diving looked decent, going into the water it seemed to adjust better than coming out.
07-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I have two of the W90's. You CAN zoom while recording video.
08-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
Where did you see that video? One review I read claimed the W90 couldn't zoom while recording.
My W60 will zoom while shooting video. I'm sure the W90 will, as well. There's a setup feature that allows this, along with whether digital zoom is locked out, or not.
08-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #28

w90

I do not remember being able to zoom in whilst using video with the w90.

Well after sending back my Pentax Optio w90 a while back,

Pentax have now sent me a brand new one in the packet's.

I'm not sure if I want to keep this one, maybe I will try to sell it.
Does anyone needs one? and what do you recommend selling it at?

-Dual

08-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DualFever Quote
I do not remember being able to zoom in whilst using video with the w90.

Well after sending back my Pentax Optio w90 a while back,

Pentax have now sent me a brand new one in the packet's.

I'm not sure if I want to keep this one, maybe I will try to sell it.
Does anyone needs one? and what do you recommend selling it at?

-Dual

another user said he had 2 W90s and could zoom with both of them.
08-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #30

Could it have been a firmware difference?

I had preordered my first w90 a month before, so it would have had the earliest firmware

I don't know if the new one I have zooms yet because I havn't opened it incase i sell it.