Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
A-z
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
For me it would be a camera with manual overide and ultra high image quality. Some thing that would make me lay the Panasonic LX2 down!
I still LOVE my LX2 - great pocket kit!

04-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I really want a compact camera that shoots RAW and has manual controls. So much so that I'm looking at other brands that do. If Pentax would just make one I could stop looking. Most of the other stuff on the various wishlists are why I shoot a DSLR. A compact would be perfect for when I don't want to lug that around (like while running or rollerblading) but I just can't bring myself to shoot jpegs. It's like it's almost offensive to me or something.
The closest I've come to that is the P&S I've been shooting for 6 years: the Sony DSC-V1. (I'm on my third.) Small; great Zeiss optics; no RAW but it does save TIF as well as JPG and vids; IR capable; hotshoe; manual controls; selective focus and AF points; close focus; wired remote and charger; metal body. It feels like a mini-Leica. It's my carry-everywhere, and what I use for product shoots and total darkness shoots (with an IR light) and spectrum-slicing (with filters). It's not the most rugged (that's why I'm on my third), but I don't know of less noisy, more rugged P&S's that shoot RAW. Lots of what's in my wishlist is in the V1. It's my base of desires.

The reason I bought a dSLR was because of what I wanted to do that the V1 didn't: ultrawide and ultralong, and better low-light. For most other uses, I'm still quite happy with the V1. I've looked for some years for something better; ain't found it yet. And so it goes.