Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What would you like to see in a Pentax compact camera?

Pentax seems to be showing up with more competitive P&S cameras than in the past. What would you like to see?

For me it would be a camera with manual overide and ultra high image quality. Some thing that would make me lay the Panasonic LX2 down!
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #29 in compact camera forum. Enter #30. Any brand camera. Enter now!

Shoot on Pentaxium/World Pentax day. Apr. 17th.

04-12-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I just glanced at the DPR listings and specs for the H90, i10, W90, and X90, and I'm mentally comparing them with the K20D and my long-used Sony DSC-V1 and -P20, and I come up with a few desires:

* RAW/JPG/GIF outputs
* P, A, S, M, B modes
* 1/4000 - 60 sec shutter
* 10x optical zoom (20-200 equivalent)
* wired remote, including zoom control
* fewer megapickles, less sensor density
* better (more grain-like) high-ISO noise
* ultra-low grainless ISO
* IR-capable (hot.filter/720nm/900nm dial)
* top flash hotshoe
* slow-sync & trailing curtain flash
* 1 cm macro focusing
* image stabilization
* still aspects: 3:2, 4:3, 5:4, 16:9, 1:1
* all the usual video aspects & stuff
* full data/control and A/V I/O
* onboard stereo mics
* imageless audio recording
* +-3 EV adjustment & bracketing
* weighted & matrix & spot AE/AF
* selectable/visible AE/AF points
* selectable single/continuous AF
* manual/selectable focus
* AE and focus lock
* catch-in-focus
* IR AF assist
* usual & manual WB
* EVF w/rangefinder
* program line for auto priorities
* greyscale & B-W filter effects
* contrast/saturation/sharpness settings
* the usual review/info/histogram display
* timer/drive modes w/ intervalometer

Stuff I don't care about (now, anyway):

* human/animal face recognition
* onboard pano/matrix stitching
* zillions of scene modes & HDR
* onboard A/V editing & DPOE
* Bluetooth / WiFi I/O & GPS

That's not an exhaustive specification list, just what I'd like to have (but probably won't). And it's not in order of my priorities. Hell, I want it ALL!!! I've omitted some highly unlikely stuff, like extended spectral response with selectable filtration, sensor tilt-shift for perspective control, laser ranging, fisheye mode, open-source firmware, MP3 player, altimeter, etc. Those will have to wait another couple years.
04-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My wish list for a Pentax compact camera :
* P, A, S, M, B modes
* 1/4000 - 60 sec shutter
* 8x optical zoom (20-200 equivalent)
* better and higher ISO
* slow-sync & trailing curtain flash
* image stabilization (as always, the SR function is very useful)
* imageless audio recording
* +-3 EV adjustment & bracketing
* weighted & matrix & spot AE/AF
* selectable/visible AE/AF points
* manual focus (like my Optio M20)
* AE and focus lock
* IR AF assist
* manual WB (also selectable WB in Kelvin mode)
* contrast/saturation/sharpness settings
* the usual review/info/histogram display
* the usual b&w, colours filter (found in existing Pentax compact)

The above is not an exhaustive, just what I would want a compact camera to have others than the "normal" features. (Note: The above also is not in order of my priority).

Cheers.
04-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I know a compact camera can't be a DSLR so I would only ask for things that can be done or changed.
- A little manual control
- Bracketing so HDR can be used
- Better noise reduction firmware (as better ISO performance would not happen on a smallish sensor)
- A bit larger lens for better low light performance.
I'm not the type who would be asking too much that can't be done or is next to impossible to do.
* More waterproofing and shock absorbency! (*Priority)

04-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Shockproofing and weatherproofing are impossible with zooms that extend out, and I doubt that an 8x or greater zoom can be built with only internal moving elements, to cover a large enough sensor to give us any satisfaction. And FAST little zooms aren't so little. How big can this splendid P&S be? And with how many batteries?

Just about everything I mentioned above either exists in other P&S's or in dSLR firmware. I don't ask for major hardware bolt-ons, other than switchable IR filters. It WOULD be nice to grow the sensor size a little but reduce the pixel density: fewer, fatter, juicier, QUIETER megapickles. And high-ISO noise should look more like grain.

I know that Canon loves making cams (P&S and dSLR) with crippled features, to drive consumers to buy the Next Great Upgrade. The capabilities exist; they're just not implemented in firmware, or internal flags switch them off. IMHO this is about as bad as Planned Obsolescence. I hope Pentax isn't playing this game.
04-14-2010, 05:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'd like a camera exactly like the w80 that we do have, but with SR and possibly a manual exposure mode. Other than that, for the uses I put the camera to, it's just what I want.
04-14-2010, 05:25 AM   #7

- aps-c sensor
- 35mm f1,8 lens
04-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
G.T
Veteran Member

I'l like a better automatic white balance, a bit stronger optical zoom (I'm struggling with a 4x), and more "shortcut functions" available with the green button. One is not enough to get a quick & clean setup. Either you shot (and may have to spend time on correcting it with Photoshop or other) either you miss the instant.

04-15-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Shockproofing and weatherproofing are impossible with zooms that extend out, and I doubt that an 8x or greater zoom can be built with only internal moving elements, to cover a large enough sensor to give us any satisfaction. And FAST little zooms aren't so little. How big can this splendid P&S be? And with how many batteries?
What about shockproofing and weatherproofing with 2 prime lens on a P&S?
That sounds like a swell idea, IMO.
Of course, if zooming function is on the P&S, one cannot perform the shockproofing and weatherproofing, therefore I would suggest to have maybe 2 primes or the most is 3 primes.
04-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
What about shockproofing and weatherproofing with 2 prime lens on a P&S?
That sounds like a swell idea, IMO.
Of course, if zooming function is on the P&S, one cannot perform the shockproofing and weatherproofing, therefore I would suggest to have maybe 2 primes or the most is 3 primes.
Old 8mm cine cams, and some Russian 35mm still cams, had lens turrets with 3 or 5 primes on the turret. Spin the turret to select the prime. This was before zooms, of course. And those turret+primes rigs weren't exactly shock- or weather-proof. Bother. More recently, Kodah had a digital P&S with two lenses, wide and longer, to give an extended FL range. I don't know if it sold well, or how damage-proof it was.
04-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really want a compact camera that shoots RAW and has manual controls. So much so that I'm looking at other brands that do. If Pentax would just make one I could stop looking. Most of the other stuff on the various wishlists are why I shoot a DSLR. A compact would be perfect for when I don't want to lug that around (like while running or rollerblading) but I just can't bring myself to shoot jpegs. It's like it's almost offensive to me or something.
04-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
G.T
Veteran Member

Mel,

That's the reason why I stick to P&S cameras : their compacity. I like bringing it on parties, fitting in a pocket. I just keep JPEG quality to the highest possible - I don't have the skill to find the advantages of RAW over (good) JPEGs.

Of course, the P&S concept makes me fight against the relative weakness of the zoom. Optical zoom I mean, I usually have no need of digital zoom. And I remember it's a long way and great progress since the Kodak 126 which was a standard for my parents.
04-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
mel
Veteran Member

I like to tinker with my images. Editing and resaving jpegs is really not a good idea. I love shooting a DSLR but I can't take it running (too heavy) nor blading (too risky). So for my own personal preferences, I want raw and manual abilities. Because I like to tinker.
04-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
G.T
Veteran Member

I'll keep your explanation about RAW for my personal culture. I'll remember this when I'll be about to buy a dSLR, in a decade or two 'till then I'll keep my JPEGs, on which I use to perform just minor changes (levels, noise attenuation) - when it's bigger I use PSD files. Disk space is not an option
04-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

It's pretty simple for me. I use a campact camera as a pocket camera. If I truly need HQ IQ images I use the dSLR. everything is a compromise. Here's what I'd want:

Great Optics
Superb image quality, especially in low light
without bumping ISO to the noisy point
Very good battery life
Compact size - need not be an Altoids Tin camera
Complete manual control possibility
Punt the MODES

Frequently I just use an ancient Olympus XA and get better (non-flash) images than I ever could with my wife's Optio A40. It's all in the Zuiko 28/2.8 fixed lens, fixed ASA (film ) and full-manual control.