Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question about WR Option lens cover!

Hi guys,

I'm curious about Pentax Water Resistant cameras such as W60, 80, & 90 's lens cover.
From the pictures on the web site, they don't seem to have a cover for the lens.
So is it true? Is the lens openly exposed to anything with no cover on it?
All my P&S camera usually have some kind of plastic that will close like a curtain when the lens is retracted.

Thanks,

04-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Hi guys,

I'm curious about Pentax Water Resistant cameras such as W60, 80, & 90 's lens cover.
From the pictures on the web site, they don't seem to have a cover for the lens.
So is it true? Is the lens openly exposed to anything with no cover on it?
All my P&S camera usually have some kind of plastic that will close like a curtain when the lens is retracted.

Thanks,
I believe the actual lens sits behind a protective glass or plastic outer cover. the lenses are completely internal focus. I know this for sure on the w90, but I assume this is the case with all of them.
04-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah - I haven't seen it, but my dad's wr canon has the configuration seamuis described. A motorized cover (I'm assuming) in front of the element would probably be almost impossible to protect from salt water (or any kind of water, for that matter).
04-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Correct, there is a "window" protecting the actual lens. It's very sturdy, we have a w80 and it's as good as new even after being badly carried around.

04-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So is this "window" thing another clear glass in front of the actual lens?
04-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Banned

I would assume that it is coated, optical grade plastic. what exactly is it that you are worried about?
04-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I would assume that it is coated, optical grade plastic. what exactly is it that you are worried about?
Well at first, my concern was that the camera doesn't have a protection on the lens. Now I know that it has one but using a protective glass.
I own K20D and I don't use any UV / protective filters on my lenses because I noticed that filters especially cheap one degrade IQ.

I read from many reviews that Pentax W80 IQ is not as good, could it be because of this protective glass?
04-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Banned

Well at first, my concern was that the camera doesn't have a protection on the lens. Now I know that it has one but using a protective glass.
I own K20D and I don't use any UV / protective filters on my lenses because I noticed that filters especially cheap one degrade IQ.

I read from many reviews that Pentax W80 IQ is not as good, could it be because of this protective glass?
extremely unlikely. filters dont degrade IQ anywhere near what people exaggerate on the net. and if this were true of underwater cameras, then how would underwater photographers get their amazing photos shooting through caases, behind the glass or plastic porthole in the housing? pentax P&S cameras, like pretty much all makers cameras with these tiny, mega-pixel packed sensors suffer from IQ issues.

04-20-2010, 01:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I, too, would assume so. It could be coated clear glass or plastic.
And it acts as a protective cover for the internal lens of the camera.

Cheers.
04-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The issue with the w80 is that it handles noise a bit more poorly than its predecessor the w60. HOWEVER, that is at a pixel level. And since you get more pixels, the noise "per image" if you will is not worse at all.

We've been using the w80 at home and it's a really capable camera, over or underwater it impresses friends with Canons (and you know how those can be :P I've been one of them).

plus the w80 is shockproof. It's really a battle camera, we use it underwater, while hiking, while snowshoeing, when it's raining (with my WR kit )
04-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Forum Member

then how would underwater photographers get their amazing photos shooting through caases

We've been using the w80 at home and it's a really capable camera, over or underwater it impresses friends with Canons (and you know how those can be :P I've been one of them).
04-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all the replies.
It helps me to understand the camera more.
I've been wanting an underwater p&s camera that I can abuse anytime at summer time
04-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #13
Forum Member

There is a protective glass window in front of the lens. The lens is all internal. The protective glass is very hard and scratch resistant. It doesn't seem to degrade the IQ. The same protective glass has been used since the first WR model, and W20 and W30 have excellent IQ reviews.

My last camera was W30 and got lost. I will not buy a new W camera from Pentax until the pixel count goes back to 7MP. Pentax fell victim of the megapixel rat race and sacrificed IQ for a marketing spec. That's why the newer W60, W80 and W90 have worse IQ than the previous models. The protective glass has nothing to do with it.