Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #1

Pentax Optio I-10...anyone get it yet?

Has anyone picked up the new I-10 and gotten to use it? Would be interested in you thoughts.

I was thinking of getting one for the pocket when I don't want to carry my DSLR/SLR, TLR, Instamatics, etc...

D

04-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I want the white one so much. I just love its retro style. Alas, I have no excuse or budget for one.
04-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I've got some B&H gift certificates that need spending. I think I'll pick up a white I-10 for my wife. I'd like to call it a mother's day present, but I don't think she'll let me get away with that. So I'll probably have to include flowers or something else.

I am also interested to hear if anyone else has tried one.

I've seen some really good reviews for the cheaper H90, which is promising for this generation of Pentax point-n-shoots. On the other hand, the W90 doesn't really seem like an improvement so I guess I can't make assumptions across the board of Pentax products. (I know that for some people the W90 is an answer to a particular question, and I respect that, but for myself I don't think I'll need anything like it).

The I-10 looks great, has stabilization, and is small. So I'm definitely leaning toward it.
04-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Banned

I own a white one, but have so far hardly used it.

04-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I own a white one, but have so far hardly used it.
We demand details!

Do its images really have a problem with noise?
04-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Perrumpo Quote
We demand details!

Do its images really have a problem with noise?
what pentax P&S doesn't? im not really the kind of guy to waist time talking pictures of flowers or something to do noise comparisons and what have you. the image quality is basically the same as other pentax P&S models. with this though, you get SR, a nifty body design, a large LCD, and a green AF assist lamp like the K-7. among other things im sure I have forgotten. if you are looking for something that has superior IQ, you are looking in the wrong place. if yoi are looking for a nifty little camera that will turn heads, then this is it. I just wish I could get that nifty leather half-case that is sold in japan.
04-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the high ISO performance of my A40, and I was jazzed about the I-10.

Until I found out it has no Tv or M modes.

04-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
what pentax P&S doesn't? im not really the kind of guy to waist time talking pictures of flowers or something to do noise comparisons and what have you. the image quality is basically the same as other pentax P&S models. with this though, you get SR, a nifty body design, a large LCD, and a green AF assist lamp like the K-7. among other things im sure I have forgotten. if you are looking for something that has superior IQ, you are looking in the wrong place. if yoi are looking for a nifty little camera that will turn heads, then this is it. I just wish I could get that nifty leather half-case that is sold in japan.
Ah. I've never used a Pentax PS. But yes, the I-10 is certainly about style

What I don't understand is why most of the reviews complain about the Pentax PS's having 12MP instead of fewer, yet the Canon PowerShot that is soooo popular has 12, as well.
05-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I just ordered it through an Amazon reseller for $199.00 with free shipping.

I'll let you know how we like it in the coming weeks.
05-05-2010, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Perrumpo Quote
What I don't understand is why most of the reviews complain about the Pentax PS's having 12MP instead of fewer, yet the Canon PowerShot that is soooo popular has 12, as well.
They lament the decline in IQ compared to the Pentax WS60 - that model used a 10MP sensor and was getting better IQ than W80/90.

Canon makes their own sensors and they're pretty good at it. The S90 has 12MP, but it's a better sensor than those in the Pentax P&S sensors. If you look at dxomark, the S90 has a very impressive score for a P&S. And it's better than the other few P&S cameras reviewed, particularly the LX3, which is its main competitor. If they would test a current Pentax P&S, I'm pretty sure its sensor wouldn't look good.
05-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
They lament the decline in IQ compared to the Pentax WS60 - that model used a 10MP sensor and was getting better IQ than W80/90.

Canon makes their own sensors and they're pretty good at it. The S90 has 12MP, but it's a better sensor than those in the Pentax P&S sensors. If you look at dxomark, the S90 has a very impressive score for a P&S. And it's better than the other few P&S cameras reviewed, particularly the LX3, which is its main competitor. If they would test a current Pentax P&S, I'm pretty sure its sensor wouldn't look good.
Thanks for the explanation. It's a shame the Pentax sensor isn't better. I'd love to go Pentax in the P&S area, but if I'm going to spend the money, I'd want the best IQ I can get for it. I shall just keep drooling over the design of the I-10, hah.
05-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The S90 has 12MP, but it's a better sensor than those in the Pentax P&S sensors.
S90 is 10MP sensor, same as G11. Canon went backwards from 14.7MP in the G10 to 10MP in G11 for better IQ. This tells me the megapixel wars will soon be over.
05-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by stanjo Quote
S90 is 10MP sensor, same as G11. Canon went backwards from 14.7MP in the G10 to 10MP in G11 for better IQ. This tells me the megapixel wars will soon be over.
I had the Canon PowerShot SD780IS in mind. I see so many people buy it and love it, it is 12MP, and the reviews I read on Pentax's new line of 12MP cameras solely complained about the fact that it had 12MP and that cramming 12MP into a P&S just causes noise. So that is what begged the question for me.

But I guess it's just that the Canon's sensor is better.
05-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm looking at hat model (I-10) as my secondary daily cam to my K10D.
I love its look and feel

Still what disappoints me - no RAW, no manual modes... :ugh:
05-11-2010, 05:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I can share initial impressions at this point, but nothing major because I only charged the battery late last night.

First, face recognition is pretty good. It finds the right people. And the smile capture mode is good fun, too. The camera will wait until your subject is smiling before shooting. Excellent for self portraits! I think maybe other P-S have this too, but it has been a long time since I've owned a P-S so it is new to me.

The focus assist beam works. I wish I had this built in on my K-x. It is one of those features that you may hardly notice but actually makes a world of difference under the right situations.

I've been wondering about the button-looking thing on the side that doesn't have the shutter button. It isn't a button, just a finger grip. The camera is small enough to disappear when you don't need it but feels just fine in the hands.

Auto white balance has not proven to be really good yet. Indoors at night everything is too warm. The K-7 white balance will spoil a person, and the K-x is definitely better with AWB so far.

The camera feels snappy. The zoom really zips. Zooming during playback is also quick. Startup seems quick. Menus pop up right away. I guess that the last time I used a P-S was so long ago that you had to push your buttons and wait a minute for a response. No longer.

Playback is somewhat ugly. The LCD isn't top notch. It works just fine for a consumer P-S, but it isn't anything to write home about. And photo review is noticeably chunky.

I can't say much about image quality. I shot mostly flash and indoors. I'm not really expecting any quality until I go outdoors into the sunlight. I'll get back to you on that.

The video mode is hidden behind a menu, which is a mistake. They should have a separate button for video.

The battery door is crap. It feels flimsy. I wish it felt more secure, especially when closing. I'd prefer an authoritative latching, but instead it can misalign and it doesn't really tell you that you are locked. It feels like it has some rotational play when opened, probably because the door is relatively long with a short pivot base.

I like the camera because it is small enough to bring along. And I like Pentax stuff for some reason (2 DSLRs, 1 film SLR, 2 binoculars, now a P-S. I guess I keep coming back to Pentax). My wife likes the camera because it looks good. But she also likes the smile capture feature. So far we are both pleased.

Remember, these are my initial feelings are very short use.