Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which came first..

the Optio ws80 or w80? I did find that the ws is the later model.

Perhaps I should explain why I ask: I have seen the conversations about the w80 & w90. There seems to be concern about the 12mp sensor. The ws80 returns to the seemingly more favored w60 10mp. I'm wondering if the ws is an improved image machine albeit lesser feature packed camera? dpForum has two member reviews and the news release on the ws80. The reviews are simply the oposite of each other.

Last edited by mysterick; 04-18-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: update; explanation of why I ask
04-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The WS80 was launched towards the end of year 2009 and it is certified waterproof to a depth of 1.5 metres for up to two hours. Review on this camera mentioned while the outdoor photos are acceptable, the indoor photos are poor. Any artificial light induces unacceptable levels of noise, and the flash is not powerful enough.

The W80 was launched sometime in June 2009 and it's certified waterproof at depths of up to 5 meters for two hours.

The W80 maybe more rugged than W60, optics is still good, but ISO noise is too strong. Hence the WS80 was introduced, some says as an upgrade of the "w60" and I tend to agree to this. It is not a "downgrade" of the W80, but IMO, it still get the work done using the ws80 as compared with the w80.
04-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanx. I ordered a ws80 and hope it is good enough that do not have to return it to B&H. Too bad w60's are not findable.
04-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I received the ws80 on Wednesday and returned it on Wednesday right after I ordered a Panasonic DMC-TS-1. Got the Lumix today and it is soooooo much a better product. What a shame. I think this is the first Lumix water (10') and shock proof model.

05-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good for you.

Panasonic Lumix is the current "Best" or "Popular" "compact and under water" camera.