Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which one? Lumix DMC-FT2 vs Olympus Tough 8000 vs Pentax W80

Hi,

I am contemplating to get a waterproof/shockproof camera for my outdoor activities and 3 cameras spring to mind - the Lumix DMC-FT1, Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 and the Pentax W90.

The Olympus is the most expensive at A$531, the Panasonic second at A$419 and the Pentax cheapest at A$369.

Which is a better camera? Appreciate your comments.

Cheers
raider

04-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
W90.

Well I just purchased one Last night. So I am hoping that one is the one. I was interested in the FT2 but I wasnt ready to drop the $500 for it. I picked the w90 at $292 has hd video- wp up to 20 something feet. and is very RUGGED. And its compact. Hopefully I will have mine soon and will link up to my flickr.
04-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Forum Member

The W90 has terrible image quality. You're better off with an older model, like W60 or even older.
04-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

We've got an FT1… well we will have once Panasonic send out the replacement... thankfully they are going to replace it after it filled with water on the 3rd time it was in the water. I talked to the technician where it was accessed and he said it passed it's pressure test so that means it was actually 'user error' according to them in that one of the doors wasn't shut properly. Panasonic are replacing it as an act of 'goodwill' which I’m grateful of. As a careful user who read all the warning about making sure the seals where clean and the doors shut correctly, it leaves me doubtful I'll be able to keep the replacement for long before it too succumbs. I talked to a guy who had one (we were in Fiji at the time) and he had used his many times, diving down deeper than the specs quote, and it was still going strong. I must say it worked great in the pool (picture and movie quality) but images get very grainy once the ISO climbs or the flash is employed. 400 is the limit as far as I am concerned. Another issue with it is it's very easy to get your finger in the pic because of how close the lens is to the edge of the body. You really have to be conscious of this.

If I was buying another, I'd be examining their methods for keeping water out a whole lot closer. If this replacement one fails, I'll be going back to using a 35mm film underwater camera I have and getting a better quality P&S for general use.

05-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

the 90 under water

the boys under water on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
05-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi layfsphoto, care to do a mini review of the W90?
05-04-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
Forum Member

Review.

Let me test this guy out some more. What type of info does one need for a review?
Today I am taking it everywhere I go. Snapping off a few shots . I will update flickr tomorrow.

05-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #8

I have w80 and pretty happy with it. Today went to B&H for the seminar on K7D and they also had w90 to show. the camera is very good. the key words are for adventure shooting. Most of it comes at day time (I don’t know anybody snorkeling at night) at day time I parked my ISO at 100 and pictures are look more or less good- take a look at two of my pictures in the colors contest. On the other hand all 3 cameras are 12mp, and Olympus was not a quality champ when pop photo tested waterproof cameras. I would still go with Pentax, and digital microscope on w90 is amazing.
05-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
We've got an FT1… well we will have once Panasonic send out the replacement...
well they have sent us a FT2 instead... hopefully the revised door seals work!