05-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
Forum Member

i picked up the sony dsc-hx5v, and really like it. here are some samples:

Great color...

isweep panorama (in camera feature!)

10X optical zoom...hand held...

No motion blur on "swingers"...

05-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #17

This is just my opinion on the subject....I've been researching my little heart out, and have finally bought the Panasonic ZS7(TZ10) It's great. Pictures are sharp, crisp, and great colors. Video is very good. I've even figured out how to import the AVCHD-lite files into Final Cut Express. I couldn't be happier with my choice.
05-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #18

I've got a Optio E60-10MP wih Auto Pict, panorama and Digital SR.

It's a previous model (2008)-you could buy from eBay,
05-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

All P&S behave the same if you are not going for professional results!
They would all look the same in print (regular size prints), but if you are the one who would like all your photos blown-up to very large size prints, then that is were the similarity ends for the P&S choices.
If you are just shooting for family and holidays and would only print to less than 8X11, then even the less costly can do the job.

I have a Canon S3 IS which I still use for the less than serious photos and when I need its superzoom capability on just one camera.
Now, I bought a Pentax W80 since I plan it to be pocketable and I can take shots on and off the water and take HD videos too!

There are times, I take them in pairs, one DSLR (K100D super) and the compact camera on my waist as a back-up (W80)..or my pairing of the bridge camera superzoom (Canon S3 IS) and still the compact camera (W80) attached to my waist on its small holder.

All my 3 cameras work for different situations but in print, they all preserve the memories..and that is what is important!

05-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Olympus cameras are good but use a non standard memory format.
Just to update this point - the new Olympus compacts, including the new Mju Tough models like the 8010, have finally gone to using SD format memory cards.

They've heard the complaints about the non-standard xD crds, and returned to the fold. SD is becoming the standard memory card format, with the exception of some of the big Canon DSLRs (and I think a Nikon or two) that use CF. I suspect even that will change in the next year or so, as SDXC cards arrive that are much faster than CF cards, as well as having much more memory. And even Sony cameras now use EITHER their proprietary Memory Stick rubbish OR SD cards.

I'm looking at the new Olympus Mju Tough 8010, but I can't find any decent reviews yet, as it is very new. The other one I'm looking at is the new Samsung WB650 with the AMOLED screen, 15x optical zoom, etc - looks fantastic on paper, but nobody has actually laid hands on one yet than I can find.
05-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Just to update this point - the new Olympus compacts, including the new Mju Tough models like the 8010, have finally gone to using SD format memory cards.

They've heard the complaints about the non-standard xD crds, and returned to the fold. SD is becoming the standard memory card format, with the exception of some of the big Canon DSLRs (and I think a Nikon or two) that use CF. I suspect even that will change in the next year or so, as SDXC cards arrive that are much faster than CF cards, as well as having much more memory. And even Sony cameras now use EITHER their proprietary Memory Stick rubbish OR SD cards.

I'm looking at the new Olympus Mju Tough 8010, but I can't find any decent reviews yet, as it is very new. The other one I'm looking at is the new Samsung WB650 with the AMOLED screen, 15x optical zoom, etc - looks fantastic on paper, but nobody has actually laid hands on one yet than I can find.
Sony would stick to their Memory Sticks and never switch since they use these on a lot of their products such as the PSP and the like.
05-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Sony would stick to their Memory Sticks and never switch
Nope - all the new Cyber-Shot cameras are SD/SDHC. Some of them take the Memory Stick as an alternative, but they have essentially switched to the now-standard SD format.

And further to my last post, I've done a fair bit more research, and as I understand it:

- the Olympus compacts - including the Mju Tough - are all a bit softish in the picture quality

- the Samsung WB650 is still not available in Australia, and is not weatherproof anyway

Looking at our situation, where both my wife and I use Pentax DSLRs and numerous lenses for any serious stuff, it would make sense to go for a compact camera that has something that the DSLRs don't have. So we're getting the Panasonic DMC-FS2 which is waterproof to 10m, shockproof to 2m drop, freeze-proof to -10Celsius, and dustproof.

That will give us a point-and-shoot with plenty of capability, good picture quality from all the reviews I've found, and the added advantage that taking it on a bushwalk including beaches, lakes, flyfishing trips, boating, etc would be no problem. Those are precisely the times when we don't really want to be lugging DSLR and associated kit around.

So - long story short - research done, and Panasonic DMC-FS2 it is