Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Compact cameras?

I am looking for a good compact camera to carry in my pocket. Do any one have some ideals what camera to get i am looking for all the bells and whistle?

04-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
looking for a Panasonic TZ series point n shoot
04-28-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a Pentax Optio A40, which I think between its image quality and features is a wonderful pocket camera. I'm not sure what the top of the line is, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Pentax compact.

For something more like a Pocketable SLR, get a Canon Powershot SX 120 IS. It's not as pocketable but could still fit, and uses standard AA batteries plus has a wonderful full-manual mode.

If you are willing to stretch the definition of "Pocket" a little bit, a Powershot G11 is a VERY powerful compact camera.

The question is, what's the most important thing to you: Gadgets, Manual Control, or image quality?
04-28-2010, 05:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Any camera you will try will be "good". Many will allow you to carry them in your pockets. You'll need to be a little more specific.

for instance, if you want a rugged, shock and water resistant camera, a Pentax w80 or w90 would be an obvious choice. If you want great macro features, manual modes, a longer zoom, image stabilisation, the answer might get more complicated.

In the compact world, Canon is a top dog. Panasonic are very good but do not excel at low light. Nikon results are soft and unimpressive for the most part. Pentax rugged cameras are great but not quite the best for image quality (still excellent, mind you). Olympus cameras are good but use a non standard memory format.

Does that help?

05-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
Canon S90 seems to be the answer. Is there anything else that can match it?
05-02-2010, 05:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Canon S90 seems to be the answer. Is there anything else that can match it?
It epends on your purpose. It's a great camera on paper, but for example, it's not waterproof, so it's not *always* the best choice. There is no such thing as a best camera for all.
05-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It epends on your purpose. It's a great camera on paper, but for example, it's not waterproof, so it's not *always* the best choice. There is no such thing as a best camera for all.
There was no requirement for *proofing in the OP - just portability and features (usually this means controls+IQ). Under those assumptions, I think the S90 is the best option. And given that I'm thinking of getting one - please let me know if there is an alternative.

For *proofing cameras, the Optio W90 looks interesting, but I wish Pentax would have used a sensor with fewer than 12MP. From what I read, IQ went down since they moved away from WS60's 10MP sensor.

05-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

All compacts are pocketable.
What is ideal is what you want it for - holidaying, random shots of pets/children/family/relatives/friends, underwater features, food pictures etc.

I agreed with b'dery's comments "In the compact world, Canon is a top dog. Panasonic are very good but do not excel at low light. Nikon results are soft and unimpressive for the most part. Pentax rugged cameras are great but not quite the best for image quality (still excellent, mind you). Olympus cameras are good but use a non standard memory format."
IMHO, Panasonic is the most popular and versatile compact, albeit a wee "noisy" in low light situations. Olys also is good compact, if you can accept its non-standard memory format.
05-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
For holidaying, random shots of pets/children/family/relatives/friends,food pictures etc,
05-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PHOTOCOP Quote
For holidaying, random shots of pets/children/family/relatives/friends,food pictures etc,
Do you need the camera to be waterproof?

How big will you print the pictures you take with it, if ever?

Do you shoot from a variety of distances and need a good zoom?

How often do you like to shoot with manual controls?

Do you want a rechargeable battery, or should it be able to take AA/AAA-sized batteries?

Do you want a viewfinder, or will you shoot using the LCD on the back?

How much money are you willing to spend?

And as far as being pocketable...how big are your pockets?
05-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
JHD
Veteran Member

I think the Canon S90 is RIDICULOUSLY WAY OVERRATED. Check out the following link and see how a 6 year old Pentax Optio 33WR (3 megapix) compares!

6 yrs... and the difference...: Pentax Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
05-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I think the Canon S90 is RIDICULOUSLY WAY OVERRATED. Check out the following link and see how a 6 year old Pentax Optio 33WR (3 megapix) compares!

6 yrs... and the difference...: Pentax Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
The S90 has a limited zoom. The F2.0 disappears pretty quickly. No hotshoe. Odd ergonomics. Kind of pricey.
05-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If that is the case, I would recommend a Panasonic compact camera.
05-12-2010, 04:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

In that case, any camera from any maker will satisfy you. Look at specific features, such as size, ergonomics, weather sealing, etc, to direct your choice.

BUT : for the purposes you have in mind, no compact will impress you. Compacts are slow to focus, which can be very anoying with kids and pets. If you can live with that (and learn to anticipate and pre-focus) you'll be ok.
05-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Fuji makes really good compacts. Not only pretty design and fancy features, but consistent image quality and solid build - sometimes it almost feels like the DR is even better than my DSLR.

For a P&S i'd also test the on/off times in practice. While with a DSLR i just snap the cap, flip the switch and forget, slow retracting and extending of lens can get annoying very fast. I've used some P&S that are very good except that it takes forever to retract the lens.

Last edited by ytterbium; 05-12-2010 at 02:01 PM.