Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

1. Multiple layers of city.

During a walk trough slightly industrial district, i noticed a brick wall i knew might present some photography opportunities. I liked its dirty texture and even spacing. While evaluating the wall from various angles, i stepped back and BANG - i saw the buildings behind it, forming this nice rhythm showing the dense, but soulless city.

2. Latvian Academy of Sciences.

It was a dull cloudy day, with no colours or any other photographic features around. So i wanted to put maximum emphasis on the man made features that break the calm and harmonic atmosphere present in nature.

3. A block in hospital.

In this one i tried to put strong focus on the wet and snowy weather, while trying to keep it simple to show the emptiness of winter.

With fujifilm finepix f100fd.
Levels, curves, colour balance, cropping and sharpening applied.

Last edited by ytterbium; 05-23-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added description, typo.
05-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Panasonic LX2. Cold weather.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LX2  Photo 
05-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #18

Original Poster
Really nice submissions guys. People who haven't posted anything. Please do so soon. The competition closes in two days.
05-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #19

Original Poster
Last day guys!

05-31-2010, 01:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, I guess I'll muddy the waters with a film shot, taken with the Ricoh FF-90,
35mm point and shoot, Kodak Gold 200 film:

pedalboats
05-31-2010, 01:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chubasco Quote
Well, I guess I'll muddy the waters with a film shot, taken with the Ricoh FF-90,
35mm point and shoot, Kodak Gold 200 film:

pedalboats
Beautiful shot! Nice to see another film shot on here besides "Wheel"
05-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, unixrevolution, I like your Ferris Wheel shot, too, sorry I missed it. One
more before the window closes:

Using the Ricoh R1E 35mm point and shoot with 3.5/30 lens, Ferrania 400 film,
BW conversion in Silver Efex Pro. Both entries are uncropped, I try to frame the
comp that way or I seldom snap the shot.

Last edited by chubasco; 05-31-2010 at 10:24 AM.
05-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shot this self-portrait of my feet while riding about 12 mph on my bike. Used a Canon PowerShot A590 IS.

Though my bike is Surly, I'm usually not.
06-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Today is June 1, so I'm too late to be in the contest. I'm just here for fun. I took the picture yesterday.

Optio I-10
ƒ3.5
1/4000
ISO 80

PP: dropped exposure a tiny bit, adjusted white balance a tiny bit, cropped to 4:6, which took a tiny bit off the sides.
Attached Images

06-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #25

Original Poster
Nice shots Tamia, Aegon and Chubasco. At last we got decent number of shots in the competition. But that means tough work for me. I've been thinking about the shots posted and will post the result in the next post.
06-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #26

Original Poster
Winners

As I mentioned before it was really hard to decide which ones are better than others, I will not have three places. I think I'm already making a hard decision by choosing one, so I'll have honorable mentions/ tied second placers/ whatever you wanna call them and one winner. Here are the honorable mentions:

Bart started the thread off with a really nice minimal composition of the piers. I really liked the way the piers kind of led the eye into the center of the frame:

The followup by unixrevolution also was really good. Honestly, the lines of the wheel were taking the eye to the corner of the frame which was a negative point IMO but with the clouds and the colorful gondolas in the rest of the frame he managed to get enough distraction to get the eye drifting to the corner. I somehow like this image a lot:

Yetterbium's Latvian academy of sciences actually was very close to what I was looking for. Not a lot of elements that are very exciting by themselves, not a very different composition but a very simplistic and minimal one, but still, the combination of all these simple things just makes you stare at the image for a while.

Chubasco's little boats were really nice addition to the thread too. Honestly, I'm not even sure what it is but it kinda works for me. I guess it's the subject and color but am not sure.

Now the WINNER ..... Kevin's daughter had the right shot for my taste. The way wires draw your eye to the main brick part of the bridge, the positioning of all the lines, it's amazing. I've been to the Brooklyn bridge many times and I've seen many many horrible shots of this beautiful bridge and I think this shot did perfect justice to the bridge.

Kevin, congratulate your daughter from our side and she gets to choose the next competition. And yea, she gets to be the judge too. You're just a mediator Let's see what she comes up with, for us.

Great competition guys! I had a lot of fun. Looking forward to some fun in the next competition.

Best,
Tulasi
06-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to Kevin's daughter, and to the runners up! Thanks, Tulasi, for the judging.

I just happened on this part of the forum. My PAS is a Canon (*gasp*) and didn't realize right away that these competitions were open to non-Pentax PAS cameras. I'll be back more often now.
06-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #28
Pentaxian

First off, my congratulations to Kevin's daughter for the winning picture!
And of course to unixrevolution, Ytterbium and chubasco as well.

Thanks to Tulasi for running this contest.

Looking forward for the next one, Kevin
06-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to Kevin's daughter (what an eye) and the other runner ups. Job well done. Ready for the next one!
thanks
barondla
06-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toylas Quote
Now the WINNER ..... Kevin's daughter had the right shot for my taste. The way wires draw your eye to the main brick part of the bridge, the positioning of all the lines, it's amazing. I've been to the Brooklyn bridge many times and I've seen many many horrible shots of this beautiful bridge and I think this shot did perfect justice to the bridge.

Kevin, congratulate your daughter from our side and she gets to choose the next competition. And yea, she gets to be the judge too. You're just a mediator Let's see what she comes up with, for us.

Great competition guys! I had a lot of fun. Looking forward to some fun in the next competition.

Best,
Tulasi
Thanks very much Tulasi. She is very chuffed with the recognition. A bit daunted by now having to come up with the theme and judging, but I have helped her along, and she came up with a very good option imho, "P&S Contest #32 - Finding the Balance-Nature & Humans"

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-compact-camera-discussion/103560-p...ml#post1065207

Regards
Kevin