Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #121
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to Amazon on their K-x preorder description, the K-x is the k200d replacement :

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax K-x sits in the slot previously occupied by the company's K200D - one of the best-specified entry-level DSLRs on the market in its time - though that position has now been elevated by the arrival of a new breed of simplified models below it. In Pentax's line-up that means the K2000/K-m designed to entice compact camera users into DSLR ownership with its easy-to-use interface and diminutive scale, and it's that camera the K-x is immediately reminiscent of (they share the same body).
Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens (White): Camera & Photo

09-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #122
Inactive Account

That is directly from dpreview who provides content to Amazon, however other sites (and posters) seem to think it is a K-m replacement.

I find all the confusion over the Pentax product lines (is it 2 or 3?) frustrating and think Pentax would help themselves by providing some clarity. People are more likely to buy when they feel they are well informed.

I myself will hold off purchasing because I'm hoping for a weather resistant model between the K-x and K-7. It that model is never to exist, then Pentax is preventing me from buying an existing model by keeping me guessing.

If the K-x is a K200D replacement, then I'm very disappointed by the decision to drop the sealing.
09-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #123
Site Supporter

JamieP,

I agree with you regarding the sealing. The reason I started out "according to" is it isn't clear nor official from Pentax at this point. However, a lot of people will see that comment on Amazon.
09-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Send Pentax an e-mail, I'm sure they'd appreciate this kind of feedback.

09-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #125
Inactive Account

Good suggestion. I have emailed them and will let everyone know if I hear anything back.
09-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #126
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't see how they could market a body between K-x and K-7 those are to closely specced IMO
(and yes I know WR, pentaprism etc. absence are unfortunate).
09-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #127
Veteran Member

This is one of Pentax's big shortcommings. Their marketing.

Last year Pentax executives were talking about a 4 camera lineup. They said it was to be named like K-XXXX, K-XXX, K-XX, and K-X. They were clear about a four camera lineup.

Now it looks like they have a two camera lineup. Maybe. We think.

People are not sure if they should wait for the camera between the K-X and the K-7, or maybe there will not be one, or what they should do. Pentax themsevles has created this doubt in the buyers mind. Usually it is the job of the compatition to create buyer's doubt.

Canon and Nikon have VERY clear camera lines. The closest thing to doubt Canon has created is with release of their 7D. Some buyers are not sure if they should wait for the 60D or not.

Pentax, you need to DEFINE your camera class levels better!

09-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #128
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't ever remember any rep saying four cameras line. Maybe three but no way four.

And looking at Canon/Nikon line, I really don't think it is understandable at all, Canon is mostly OK (but what the heck is that APS-C EOS-7D near FF 5D ?) and Nikon is total crap (D3X,D3,D700,D300s,D90,D5000,D60,D3000).
Huh? From D3X to D300s is weird but understandable, the rest is crap).

Officially 8 cameras produced by Nikon... lol.
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/index.htm

PS: it doesn't make Pentax line transparent, just not as muddy as one might think.
09-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #129
Inactive Account

The confusion about the camera lines creates doubt about future lenses as well. IF there is no weather resistant model below the K-7, then I wonder how many future lenses will be sealed.

As a hiker and backpacker, I hope we will see the much of the line available sealed (particularly the DA Limiteds), but now it seems possbile that we will be seeing a lot of lenses with plastic mounts instead. Can they justify building many sealed lenses if the high volume bodies aren't sealed?

I'm still optimistic that Pentax products to come will meet my needs, just frustated by the confusion.
09-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #130
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still Waiting For K200D Replacement !

Most Important To Me:

1) Battery Grip (a must for me, AA batteries also)
2) Very Good High ISO 3200 +
3) Weather Sealing
4) Keep Small Size
5) Would like Two Wheels (but I doubt it)
6) High quality LCD (like K-7)

I would assume spring next year or maybe something around X-Mas time would be launch time.

wll
09-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I don't ever remember any rep saying four cameras line. Maybe three but no way four.

And looking at Canon/Nikon line, I really don't think it is understandable at all, Canon is mostly OK (but what the heck is that APS-C EOS-7D near FF 5D ?) and Nikon is total crap (D3X,D3,D700,D300s,D90,D5000,D60,D3000).
Huh? From D3X to D300s is weird but understandable, the rest is crap).

Officially 8 cameras produced by Nikon... lol.
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digital Cameras

PS: it doesn't make Pentax line transparent, just not as muddy as one might think.
This is where I got the four camera lineup from:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/19214-new-pentax-dslr-mid-2008-a-2.html

Link to the German interview:

Pentax-Interview Januar 2008

You are right, the Nikon NAME convension is not the clearest, but the product placement is. It is very clear that the D90 repaces the D80. Same with D100 to D200 to D300 to D300s. Where it is not clear is comparison across price points. ie D40 < D90 < D300 < D3. Then with the introduction of the D3000 we end up with Dxxxx < Dxx < Dxxx < Dx
09-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JamieP Quote
now it seems possbile that we will be seeing a lot of lenses with plastic mounts instead.
I don't think that. It doesn't make sense to have "a lot of lenses with plastic mounts", but just enough of them for few entry-level kits. I'd say, the only DA-L that's now missing is a superzoom.
Probably, Pentax found out it's difficult to compete on price with other brand's all-plastic offerings, and that having the best built kit (metal mount, true focusing ring, lens hood) won't generate extra sales.
09-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #133
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think that. It doesn't make sense to have "a lot of lenses with plastic mounts", but just enough of them for few entry-level kits. I'd say, the only DA-L that's now missing is a superzoom.
Probably, Pentax found out it's difficult to compete on price with other brand's all-plastic offerings, and that having the best built kit (metal mount, true focusing ring, lens hood) won't generate extra sales.
I don't think it either, but I don't know for sure. I'd just be more confident that things are moving in the direction I hoped for if the new model seemed to fit better with the outdoor enthusiast marketing.

I hope I don't seem too negative as I like the K-x and think it is a good edition to the lineup. If it brings more people to the brand, it is a good thing. However, for my own personal motiviations, I wish I had a better feel for what the lineup is (or will be).
09-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamieP Quote
That is directly from dpreview who provides content to Amazon, however other sites (and posters) seem to think it is a K-m replacement.

I find all the confusion over the Pentax product lines (is it 2 or 3?) frustrating and think Pentax would help themselves by providing some clarity. People are more likely to buy when they feel they are well informed.

I myself will hold off purchasing because I'm hoping for a weather resistant model between the K-x and K-7. It that model is never to exist, then Pentax is preventing me from buying an existing model by keeping me guessing.

If the K-x is a K200D replacement, then I'm very disappointed by the decision to drop the sealing.

Just came back from the Pentax promo at Henrys. I am told by the Pentax rep there, that the k-x is NOT the replacement for the k200, period, it is a model that will compete with the T1i and the D5000. The replacement for k200 and k20 if they exist in the future will likely come after the intro of 645.
09-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Most Important To Me:

1) Battery Grip (a must for me, AA batteries also)
2) Very Good High ISO 3200 +
3) Weather Sealing
4) Keep Small Size
5) Would like Two Wheels (but I doubt it)
6) High quality LCD (like K-7)

I would assume spring next year or maybe something around X-Mas time would be launch time.

wll
I think any K-200 successor will likely have 1-4 and 6 but not 5 as it is reserved for high-end model. The k-20 successor will likely have similar or better spec as k-7 minus the video. I also think that both k-200 and k-20 successors will have a new refined shell similar to k-7 in style but slightly bigger (as most people tend to think bigger body is more pro).