Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 01:59 AM   #1

Do I need manual lenses for ISO-controlled video?

Hi there,

I need advise from more experienced video-shooters.

I have the KX with kit-lens.

Additionally, I have the following line-up of (fully manual) prime lenses:

Vivitar (Tokina) 17/3.5
Pentax 50/1.7
Ricoh 28/2.8
Ricoh 50/2
Ricoh 135/2.8

Tokina 24/2.8
Tokina 200/3.5

I also own a couple of small zooms, that are not very fast, but might come to use in som weird video-situation.

Obviously, the 50mm is perfect for low light and crisp portrait etc.

My question is more towards the 17 and 24 mm lenses.. I just love the look and feel of those manual lenses, but that is also due to pure aesthetics and me wanting to look cool!

They are not faster than the kit lens.. They are a challenge to focus (small viewfinder), and the image quality is not better to my eyes.

I would like to travel with a not too heavy bag, and I both want to do lots of photos, but also some small videos on a tripod with controlled ISO.

I know how to trick the ISO to stay at 100 with manual lenses. Will I be able to do the same with the Kit lens? Should I leave all but the 50mm and the kit lens at home?!!

Last edited by ronald; 05-18-2010 at 12:45 AM.
05-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #2

Original Poster
Did I do or say something wrong? 124 viewing but no comments..? ;-)
05-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ronald Quote
Did I do or say something wrong? 124 viewing but no comments..? ;-)
I think the reason no one has replied yet is that the vast majority of us don't use the cameras for video, that's all.

And I think there's even a video forum here, but I'm not sure.
05-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

short answer, no. You can use any lens as there is an option for fixed iso or auto iso.

Jason

05-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thread moved as requested

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #6

Depends which 'trick' you mean. Adjusting in still mode then switching to video can be done with any lens.

The *-quick switch trick (not sure of a better name for it) needs a lens with a manual aperture ring.

But if you already have the lenses, why not try for yourself?